Adverse Reactions To C4 Vaccinations

Hi

Just curious to get some feedback on anyone else that has experienced bad reactions to the yearly C4 vaccinations. I don't want to start a debate on over vaccination etc, but more just seeking feedback and experiences of others.

We have three Italian Greyhounds 2,3 and 4 y/o the first reaction we had was last year when our then 2.5y/o female had a very bad reaction and was covered in welts etc within 1/2 of returning from the vets. Then last week we took the other two for thiers and the 4 y/o female had a very bad reaction within an hour of coming home, her face/jaw blew up badly. Both times we rushed them back to the vet and after an injection of Antihistamine the swelling subsided.

Now almost a week later both the 2y/o and 4y/o that were vaccinated last week have had a large 50c plus size hard lump come up on their necks where they recieved the injections...

Has anyone else had any similar experiences or some feedback for us??

Pic's of both girls attached....

post-49150-0-35421900-1391486444_thumb.jpg

post-49150-0-21476700-1391486496_thumb.jpg

I breed Italians, may I please ask why you are vaccinating them after the first reactions ?. :)

Is it because you believe that they need yearly vaccinations?. Contrary to much belief they do not need yearly vaccination as this compromises their immune system. If this was me I would NRVER vaccinate them again. Ask your vet for a titre test in future and perhaps you should change your vet. When you contacted the vet what did the vet say?.

Firstly if you read my post this is the first time they have reacted, both have had regular vaccinations since pups and never had any reaction before.

Not out to start a discussion over if they need yearly vaccinations or not as everyone has a opinion on this subject, even our breeder agree's they do need vacinations as they travel a lot,,visit many parks and often stay at accomodation where other dogs have stayed.

Yes Titre testing could be an option for the future but not many vets actually offer this service and it is very expensive in Australia. As for changing vets thats a harsh call since this was the first time they have all reacted!! And he was as shocked as we were...

I breed Italians, may I please ask why you are vaccinating them after the first reactions ?. :)

Is it because you believe that they need yearly vaccinations?. Contrary to much belief they do not need yearly vaccination as this compromises their immune system. If this was me I would NRVER vaccinate them again. Ask your vet for a titre test in future and perhaps you should change your vet. When you contacted the vet what did the vet say?.

If mine reacted the first time there would be no way I'd be getting them done the second time! Or if even one of mine reacted like that I prob wouldn't be getting the others done.

Edited by minimax

I would not be vaccinating any of them again. Are the 3 related? What vaccination did you give the one that reacted the first time, as I guess she would have been due as well?

You could do things differently next time I suppose, if you insist on still vaccinating them. You could just do a C3 and then a couple of weeks later give them the nasal spray for kennel cough. You can just give a killed parvo vaccination and then the KC nasal spray. Spread out the load is what I am saying. You should also stay at the vets or very nearby for an hr or two so if they do react the vet is right there to help out. I believe a second reaction would be much, much worse and could kill your dogs. Much like a bee sting in people, each reaction gets many times worse.

Not out to start a discussion over if they need yearly vaccinations or not as everyone has a opinion on this subject, even our breeder agree's they do need vacinations as they travel a lot,,visit many parks and often stay at accomodation where other dogs have stayed.

Yes Titre testing could be an option for the future but not many vets actually offer this service and it is very expensive in Australia. As for changing vets thats a harsh call since this was the first time they have all reacted!! And he was as shocked as we were...

sorry to be blunt but it's not as expensive as your dogs dying on you from a reaction. This is what you have to weigh up.

sorry to be blunt but it's not as expensive as your dogs dying on you from a reaction. This is what you have to weigh up.

All due respect,I was just commenting that it is expensive and didn't highlight that...Cost isn't the issue as we would pay whatever we need, to ensure they don't endure this again!!

Edited by waynem1966

I would not be vaccinating any of them again. Are the 3 related? What vaccination did you give the one that reacted the first time, as I guess she would have been due as well?

You could do things differently next time I suppose, if you insist on still vaccinating them. You could just do a C3 and then a couple of weeks later give them the nasal spray for kennel cough. You can just give a killed parvo vaccination and then the KC nasal spray. Spread out the load is what I am saying. You should also stay at the vets or very nearby for an hr or two so if they do react the vet is right there to help out. I believe a second reaction would be much, much worse and could kill your dogs. Much like a bee sting in people, each reaction gets many times worse.

Thanks for your suggestion about the C3 and nasal spray,that is what out vet has suggested for the future and they won't get a repeat c4 until we work this through which is primarilly why I posted for feedback and idea's

Two of them have the same sire, but only one reacted. And the Blue girl that reacted last year was also a C4..

I'd be looking at the brand name on the C4 vaccination the vet is using. I remember a few years ago there was a particular brand of puppy C3 vaccinations that had horrible side effects... maybe this could be something similar?

If you are insistent on annual vaccinations, may I suggest that maybe you just go for the C3 in future? That will cover you for the big 3 nasties at the very least - although if you travel a lot to places where other dogs have frequented, your own dogs are already getting continual smaller stimulations to the antibodies of those diseases, and probably don't really need the vaccination top-ups anyways.

May I ask why you are going for the C4 vaccination? That only covers one of the deadly Kennel Cough strains. If you really want KC coverage, then the C5 (or C3 plus nasal KC component) will be much more effective at warding off the nastiest 2 strains.

T.

I'd do as Tdierikx suggested and check the brand of the vaccination and report the reactions to the manufacturer.

I also would not re-vaccinate any of the dogs, but would err on the side of titre testing. Their reactions are their bodies telling you that they are sensitive to the chemicals used and their bodies are trying to isolate and expel it.

I know you said cost is not a factor, but if you consider that vaccinations last AT LEAST 3 years (usually longer), a titre once every 3 years would work out cheaper than a vaccination once a year.

My boy had 2 puppy vaccines (C3 only) and none since. He's 5.5 years of age. Last titre about 9 months ago still evidenced immunity. When his titres don't reveal this, it won't be a matter of me thinking he has no immunity as I do believe in cell memory. What the titres he's had have given me is confirmation that sero-conversion to the original puppy vaccine DID occur and that his body answered by producing the relevant anti-bodies (that's what shows up in the titre, the anti-body production). In other words, the confidence that his puppy vaccination regime was successful.

Edited to add : With my boy's checkered health history, I'm not convinced that a contributing factor or trigger could not be that the chemicals from his puppy vaccination regime are locked up in his system. But that's something I may never know and likely as not, never be able to prove.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for your suggestion about the C3 and nasal spray,that is what out vet has suggested for the future and they won't get a repeat c4 until we work this through which is primarilly why I posted for feedback and idea's

Two of them have the same sire, but only one reacted.

And the Blue girl that reacted last year was also a C4..

what did she get this year? and is it now all 3 have reacted or only 2?

If you have had one that has had a reaction why would you vaccinate more ?. It has been noted that dogs that are out and about on a regular basis can and do pick up their own immunity. :) Titre test would be the way to go in the future.

We have three Italian Greyhounds 2,3 and 4 y/o the first reaction we had was last year when our then 2.5y/o female had a very bad reaction and was covered in welts etc within 1/2 of returning from the vets

She hasn't had her's this year and that's why we are seeking advice, She is the Blue one pictured and last week our 4y/o fawn female reacted for the first time as pictured. Now a week later both the fawn female pictured and our 2y/o male have had a hard lump appear on their necks roughly the size of a 50c piece..

She hasn't had her's this year and that's why we are seeking advice, She is the Blue one pictured and last week our 4y/o fawn female reacted for the first time as pictured. Now a week later both the fawn female pictured and our 2y/o male have had a hard lump appear on their necks roughly the size of a 50c piece..

Ok, I would think your boy will react badly the next time as he has a minor reaction now. Do your dogs go into boarding kennels or do they stay in places with you like holiday houses? Do they need to be vaccinated for where they go or is it just your preference? If they need to be vacc. then I would split the vaccine's up. If it is your preference then titre test for your peace of mind.

Ok, I would think your boy will react badly the next time as he has a minor reaction now. Do your dogs go into boarding kennels or do they stay in places with you like holiday houses? Do they need to be vaccinated for where they go or is it just your preference? If they need to be vacc. then I would split the vaccine's up. If it is your preference then titre test for your peace of mind.

Yes we feel that the boy will react badly next time and will ensure for the future that we have an educated solution..

We travel on a regular basis and stay at many holiday houses and the like. Some of these places insist that dogs have uptodate vaccinations and also we do want to ensure we dont put then at risk. But that said we are mindful of what their reactions have been and also how to handle this issue in the future. And yes our vet has already suggested spliting the vacines and we will further explore titering..

What the dogs are usually reacting to is the suspension the vaccines come in... so one brand may have different effects to another in that regard. Same for human vaccinations... very rarely is the actual disease component at fault when a reaction occurs.

I wouldn't completely write off titre testing for the hepatitis antibodies every now and then either - there have been a couple of cases presented to emergency clinics in Sydney not that long ago. It's very rare, but it's still out there. I haven't heard of any Distemper cases, but the fact that they are actively titre testing for those antibodies here suggests that it may also still be out there in enough cases to warrant the focus. Parvo is a no-brainer - nothing seems effective on that EXCEPT vaccination done efficaciously.

T.