To Vaccinate Or Not?

Tru Borders

SO i've been reading lots lately about people not vaccinating their dogs and of course its caused quite the controversy.

As the owner of 2 5 month old Borders, im interested to know who does and who doesnt and your reasons.

Please, no sledging of others.

Also, if you DO NOT vaccinate, do you still use flea and tick spot ons or worming tabs?

Edited by Tru Borders

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stopped vaccinating my dogs but I do have them titre tested. IN all the years and one of my boys is now over 6 years old, he has always kept up immunity. A previous boy that I had reacted very badly when he had the puppy booster at 16 weeks of age and that is when I opted for the titre testing. I still give them Sentinal Spectrum every 6 weeks.

To me vaccinating is a no-brainer. If you have ever seen a dog with parvovirus or distemper you will realise how hideous it is. Parvovirus in particular is very contagious and kills pups and young dogs very quickly. I vaccinate myself and my children and my dogs. Disease prevention is a part of culturing health IMO.

I am 100% in favour of puppy and 12 month follow up vaccinations and all my dogs follow these protocols. (With subsequent titre testing.)

After that I do not vaccinate on a scedule, but I am pedantic about annually testing for the 'big 3'. If/when the dogs are showing a lack of immunity they will be vaccinated and again subsequently tested to make sure it 'sticks'.

The reason I like the test is that I can see my dogs have a level of immunity, not simply that they have had a needle that is designed to give them immunity.

As long as people are following a protocol annual/3 year vaccination or regular testing I think that is totally their choice. Blindly hoping that dogs have immunity is a little less than ideal IMO.

Edited by Agility Dogs

I think the it's not about not vaccinating but knowing when vaccination isn't nesessery through titre testing. Initial vaccinations are always going to be vital. As for fleas I have never had to treat my 1 1/2 yr old yet, but she will be treated if ever needed, she also gets interceptor monthly so is always treated for all worms. My dog had her puppy vacs and had her booster which covers her for 3 yrs except for kennel cough. When the 3 yrs is up she will be titre tested first.

I think normal vaccination as pups and then again at around a year, then titre testing and vaccinating as needed after that is how I'm going to do it from now on. I've seen parvo several times and I would never ever want my dogs to get it, or anything else for that matter, but I do think we over vaccinate. I've come to my own conclusion after looking into as well as seeing what others are doing. At least most vets around here are doing it every three years now, only one is still doing yearly. As for fleas and worms our dogs rarely seem to pick them up, if at all. I don't think our lab of 14 years ever had either, and our cat of the same had fleas twice that I remember. Out of the current dogs one had worms as a pup and never again. We treat them if they have them and leave it at that.

Edited by kiwifeathers

I vaccinate with puppy vacs (including 16 weeks), then the one 12 months later. After than titre testing (my vet is a Natural Vet clinic so this is standard practice for them anyway). If titre showed a lack of immunity, I would vaccinate.

Thought some people might find this video interesting :)

ETA: I personally would not be comfortable going to a vet who pushed for yearly vaccination. It isn't in line with AVA vaccination protocols or the latest research.

Edited by huski

Here is some quality reading/viewing material for you to help you with your decision:

4 part video of interview with Dr Ronald Schultz, one of the foremost researchers on vaccines (link to first video - BTW you will see his name on a lot of the vaccine research used to develop the guidelines):

The guidelines issued by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA). This provides the most comprehensive reading: http://www.wsava.org...tion-guidelines

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) position statement (which is based on the WSAVA guidelines): http://www.ava.com.a...n-dogs-and-cats

The Australian Government's Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) position statement (which are again based largley on the WSAVA guidelines): http://www.apvma.gov...vaccination.php

In a nutshell though, in relation to the 'core' vaccines (the C3 of parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus) - recommendations are for first series of puppy vaccinations followed by re-vaccination one year later. Then re-vaccination every three years. Alternately, owners may decide to titre test and if the dog has sufficient immunity already, not re-vaccinate. (note that if a dog already has sufficient immunity, re-vaccinating will not 'boost' or give it more immunity - this factor is often misunderstood.)

Edited by espinay2

Mine had his puppy vaccinations. Because he reacted badly to the last one, and has allergies (and related immune issues) my vet suggested titre-testing and only re-vaccinating if necessary.

He had a C3 almost 3 years after his last puppy shot, only because his distemper titre was low. He still had excellent titre levels against Parvo, but unfortunately a vaccine against Distemper alone is not available. Bruno has had the kennel cough intranasal vaccine a couple of times, just when needed for boarding kennels. I will titre test (and use a kennel that accepts a current titre) next time Bruno needs to be boarded.

I still use Revolution spot on monthly for heartworm etc. but I use intestinal wormers sparingly. Whenever Bruno has a stool sample tested (for other issues) I get the vet to check for worm burden. Mostly he has been parasite-free.

Thought some people might find this video interesting :)

ETA: I personally would not be comfortable going to a vet who pushed for yearly vaccination. It isn't in line with AVA vaccination protocols or the latest research.

I think the video should be watched by all pet owners! I would very much like to include a link to the video with all the other information I give to my puppy buyers. I am technically challenged & would appreciate assistance in how to forward the video by E Mail. I tried copying the URL, but it would not let me paste to an E Mail

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renae is almost 12, i havent vaccinated her for years. Shes gets flea treatment if she needs it. I worm her every so often.

Miah had her puppy vaccination altho when she came here and had to have her last lot we just did C3.

Shes now due for her 15 months Vaccs, which we will do. We probably wont do any more for a long time again. She gets monthly heart and flea treatment and the other regular worming tablets every few months.

If you do going do training most places expect the dogs to be vaccinated or show titre testing results, and if you are in a high risk parvo area, its important. Some components of vaccinations can be treated.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Puppy vacs and then titre at 14months. Mine have always had the highest level of immunity at this age so I see no reason to give a 12month booster unless a titre test come backs low. Mine always seem to come back with the highest level whenever I test so I only test every 3 years as per the recommendation of my vet. Titre levels don't suddenly drop overnight, its a gradual process (and can go right back up again if exposed to a low dose of the virus). In theory, if they return a positive immunity they should be covered for life, but I still prefer to play it safe and test periodically.

ETA: We use interceptor on them every 6-8 weeks. If we are going somewhere with ticks we will use advantix but don't need to treat regularly in Canberra.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

To me vaccinating is a no-brainer. If you have ever seen a dog with parvovirus or distemper you will realise how hideous it is. Parvovirus in particular is very contagious and kills pups and young dogs very quickly. I vaccinate myself and my children and my dogs. Disease prevention is a part of culturing health IMO.

Do your kids get yearly vaccinations though?

Vets in Australia don't necessarily follow the AVA guidelines which are not for yearly vaccinations, so I don't vaccinate after the 12 month shot unless immunity is low. I also use sentinel spectrum every 4-6 weeks.

THANK YOU all SO MUCH for the info!

Love all the help and informative answers!

My pups had all their puppy Vaccs and I did do the yearly heartworm vacc, but after reading your comments think Titre testing is definitely the way to go.

My Vet is definitely an Annual pusher so might consider finding a new one, or just standing ground.

I feed raw also and I know she's against that ;)

How much have you paid for Titre testing and do vets do it or will I need to find a specialty practice?