What's In Your Bait Bag?

TCB

What sort of treats do you use for training exercises?

At the moment we're using Nature's Gift liver treats but after reading that too much liver can be harmful to dogs we'd like switch to something else

Most high value treat is sausage patty or quarter pounder patty from Maccas.

Otherwise warm BBQ.

There is not a high level of liver in the NG treats from memory and you should not be feeding massive amounts given a training session should be short.

Tiny pieces of cheese (I use pre grated or shaved Parmesan), sausage, roast chicken, Devon, ham, Cheerios (my dog loves them?), apple or those Chunkers or something. Everything is chopped into tiny pieces. I do bags up once a week and freeze if I buy something like Devon or a BBQ chook. Mine like liver treats or schmackos as well, but they can be a bit dry and throat snaggy for fast reinforcement.

Guest hankodie

BBQ chicken is my go to :D besides that I've used leftover steak, tasty cheese, and the ultimate "yes-i'll-do-anything-you-say-i'm-such-a-good-dog" treat is leftover roast pork.

my staples are: chicken livers, chicken giblets, beef liver, beef heart, lamb liver, and chicken hearts. They are boiled and then cut up into little cubes.

Other than that, I sometimes use a tube of pureed sardines or salmon that is squeezed into their mouth.

If I'm being fancy I cook up a mixture of salmon and sardine with eggs and some flour; or chicken livers, ricotta, eggs and flour, and bake that in the oven. I'll often use that for bigger 'jackpot' rewards.

Edited by raineth

I use natures gift roo and chicken for small dogs for short training sessions or when I've let him in the yard and need him to come inside.

For longer ones I'll use cheese (what that dog will do for cheese!) and he prefers plastic cheese so I just tear it up. I use his kibble from dinner.

He's just started on raw food so he goes a bit mental for lamb.

4 paws food from the cold section. I break that into tiny pieces and freeze in handful sized portions to last a week.

We use a tennis ball - Zig values a tennis ball over all other rewards (including food).. The next best thing to him is a tug toy..

As for food, the only things I have ever been able to get his attention with is home brand devon roll - that stuff is just plain nasty but he will eat it (if there is no ball around)..

Some dogs prefer food and others prefer toys - just keep trying you will work out what your dog prefers.

Rufus will work for kibble! (good dog)!

I just have to wait to when a meal is due.

I feed 2-3 time/day and he's lean-just right IMO.

I liked being able to use this as a reward, so I didn't accidentally overfeed.

If it's not meal time, he'll give me a paw for asking nicely, excitedly telling him how clever he is +a quick play :)

All these are great ideas. Keep them really tiny, and keep trying them. Our boy loves nutri-grain. Bottom line is whatever they go nuts for, and that could be food- or not.

Check which your puppy values most highly. Put a different treat in each hand, close it. Hold them out to puppy and see which hand he chooses. Voila- his favourite (on that day!)

Di