Weird Stuff Your Dog Is Frightened Of

apocalypsepwnie

Oh and mum's maltese can switch on the fear, to the point he's convinced himself.

When mum's other dog lost her eye her depth perception changed and she was really quite worried on the pier one day. Mum stopped to reassure her and the Malt, who was metres ahead walked back, got behind the other dog and started shaking and cowering.

Now he really hams it up, while she's well over it.

Sigh.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In no particular order Stan is scared of thunder, insects and poo.

He's my speshal boy :)

Poo ..laugh.gif what does he do HazyWal?? :)

Jules he avoids it like the plague, when out walking most dogs like to sniff a poo but not Stanley. Just yesterday we were walking along a bush track not far from the beach when he went for a bit of a sniff off the path and then leapt in the air and swung around looking at the grass. When I looked it was a huge dog poo, I'm sure he thought it had crept up on him :laugh: His worst nightmare would be being chased by a swarm of insects in a thunderstorm and treading in a random poo :eek:

Jules he avoids it like the plague, when out walking most dogs like to sniff a poo but not Stanley. Just yesterday we were walking along a bush track not far from the beach when he went for a bit of a sniff off the path and then leapt in the air and swung around looking at the grass. When I looked it was a huge dog poo, I'm sure he thought it had crept up on him :laugh: His worst nightmare would be being chased by a swarm of insects in a thunderstorm and treading in a random poo :eek:

Too funny ! laugh.gif I can understand the swarms of insects tho, i don't like them either !

Too funny ! laugh.gif I can understand the swarms of insects tho, i don't like them either !

Last month I'm pretty sure Nova went through his 2nd fear stage, he was getting a bit on edge around normal things, one night he flipped out over a game of Snakes and Ladders.

He had been asleep while we set it up and played, but then he got up and wandered over and jumped backwards, then barked at the board when we moved a piece laugh.gif

He stayed away and made sooking noises for a while after. He's over his irrational fear now!

Edited by LisaCC

At around 5 months, Thisbe freaked out about a scooter parked near my mum's house. A week later she lost it over a BMX bike stencil at the BMX track near me. So I start to think she has a bike phobia, but discover that she is just fine when someone is riding them! Also ok with bicycles, trail bikes etc. She got over the pictures of bikes thing, but still cant walk past this one stationary scooter. Once it was parked somewhere slightly different - she took a little convincing but managed to walk right past it. Still won't go past it where it is usually parked, so whatever worried her that first time really stuck!

Belle was terrified of a statue by our old house, of a man climbing out of a hole. I got her over it by hugging it and making her think the statue was throwing her treats (neighbours always looked at me funny after that....).

A year later and we were back in the old neighbour with Chewy. I thought he'd also freak but he just sniffed it and peed on it.....

My boy,

his fear is “mine flags“ on vehicles, he turns himself inside out at the sight of one.

For the rest of the walk, he then keeps looking over his shoulder, thinking they are coming after him.

I didnt realise how many there are on the road until now.

Postie motorbike flags ok though!

Plus i bought one to de-sensitise him, its on a length of pipe in his sand pit, and thats ok too!!

The funniest lifetime fear in a dog that I have heard of was a former colleagues purebred Maltese who was terrified of bacon :rofl: . He would tremble and run and hide as soon as he could smell it or if he saw anyone take it from the fridge. Apparently he first freaked at it spitting in a pan and then associated the smell of it with the fear. He was not at all a nervous dog except when it came to bacon.

Sasha is frightened when I sneeze! Even when I start the ah ah before the choo she goes nuts and barks at me :/ Lacey is a strange one ... She is frightened of things that get blown in the wind like paper etc and she even barks at things in the backyard that have been there for ages.

Lucy is a funny one. She's scared of balloons (they chase her? The OH sneakily picked up a valentines day pressie while on a walk with the dogs and tied the balloon to Dozers collar, who happily walked home with it bobbing behind him, freaked her out though), any bag of the plastic persuasion UNLESS they have treats in them, then it's the equivalent of a dinner bell.

Also afraid of the nozel part of the vacuum cleaner, but only when it's not attached to the vacuum.

She's also afraid of the empty frying pan, but it's okay if there's food in it

Edited by Taliecat

Speaking of stencils, my Olle, who is afraid of cats is also afraid of stencils of cats. Someone had painted them everywhere I our old neighbourhood and he refused to turn his back on them until he had turned the next corner. There were also random stencils of Charlie Chaplin. He was fine with the little ones and also with the life size image, until one day someone painted it over with a camouflage pattern. He was so frightened that he wet himself, which he had never done before or since.