How Long Is Too Long?

This is a spin off of another topic but how long do you think is too long for a dog to be in a rescue? What are some things we can do to help them get a good home if you have already had them trained, and they have no quirks other than just not finding that perfect home? Does time matter if they are in a foster home versus a kennel environment?

Would love to hear some of your views on this.

Good question.

Firstly, they must be ready for rehoming - so no too hard behavioural issues or vetwork left undone.

Secondly , it MUST be the right home - not just the first person who applies (sadly most pounds and a few rescues do this).

In my opinion, while they are in a good foster home, time does NOT matter. If necessary, you can switch long-term dogs between foster homes, so that they do not get too set in their ways and also so you can observe them making the home change.

BUT if they are in a kennel environment then time IS of the essence. Kennelling should be for pounds and emergencies only. Rescues, in my personal opinion should get dogs out of kennels and into foster homes ASAP.

I understand that some have the viewpoint that saving a life is more important than quality of life, but I do not personally think that it is right in the long term. And there are many dogs for whom kennelling is akin to hell.

So that is my take on it, for what it is worth.

Good question.

Firstly, they must be ready for rehoming - so no too hard behavioural issues or vetwork left undone.

Secondly , it MUST be the right home - not just the first person who applies (sadly most pounds and a few rescues do this).

In my opinion, while they are in a good foster home, time does NOT matter. If necessary, you can switch long-term dogs between foster homes, so that they do not get too set in their ways and also so you can observe them making the home change.

BUT if they are in a kennel environment then time IS of the essence. Kennelling should be for pounds and emergencies only. Rescues, in my personal opinion should get dogs out of kennels and into foster homes ASAP.

I understand that some have the viewpoint that saving a life is more important than quality of life, but I do not personally think that it is right in the long term. And there are many dogs for whom kennelling is akin to hell.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Agree with RP. Depends on provision of essentials for physical & mental health and behaviour management ... & on the individual dog's response.

Same applies to dogs kept by breeders. Our pet purebreds have been adopted after being in multi-dog groups with good breeders who provided all those necessities well ... for 5, 6 and 8 years.

I have no problem BTW with dogs sleeping in kennels & having 'their space'. It's when dogs are 'caged' in kennels for the greatest proportion of their time that there's risk of adverse responses. As RP said this should be temporary.

Edited by mita

Good question.

Yup I think we think a lot alike. I had often wondered if dogs should be moved foster homes after awhile so they dont get to set or attached I suppose this would depend on the dog. This would also allow you to see how they respond in different home environments also.

I agree that quality of life trumps everything. I can not see a dog sitting in a kennel all day and all night without some sort of enrichment program and plenty of time outside getting exercise being too happy with life.

So now if a dog simply isnt finding that home what suggestions would people have to try to help them get that home? What mistakes do you all see rescues making that make a dog miss that home? Lack of good pictures? Lack of a good write up? I have seen some really bad write ups in my time. I think this could be a big one. Also do you think listing temp traits works best or more of a paragraph type listing?

I took a long termer from kennels last year. In 18 months there had not been 1 enquiry on this dog.

Within a few days I'd housetrained him, I changed his name and took a new photo. I uploaded him onto Petrescue after a couple of weeks of getting to know him.

I was able to write a good and truthful piece about his nature and what sort of home he wanted.

For the next month I averaged 3 enquiries a week - he was aged 7.

He then found his perfect home in the 6th week.

The picture is really important as is housetraining and letting people know whether the dog is good on a lead, good in a car, good with other animals and children. Best to be honest about storm phobia, digging and so on as well but make it balanced and shine the light on their good points!

I have many people who want the dog housetrained and I don't believe because the dog is trained for my home that they are then trained for every home they go in to, I always say to people that they will have to give the dog a refresher course on where their door is and start from scratch in a lot of cases. Dogs do have accidents and the new owners need to be prepared for it to happen in a lot of cases.

I point out that "I saved the dogs life" I would hope the new owners will do some of the training themselves.

I have had long termers, 11 months for the last one last year, no calls at all and there is nothing wrong with the pics or the descriptions it just means that the right person had not looked on the website or had just started to look.

Here is Mickey the long termer he eventually went to the first people of enquired, we had a stall at Pet Stock last August and they came in with their dog a standard Poodle they were getting him washed and saw Mickey and fell in love with him and the rest is history :)

I also move my long termers to one of my carers as she can give them more than I can, this is her at Hall with her pack and a few fosters.

post-3265-0-57601500-1395579480_thumb.jpg

post-3265-0-30720400-1395579500_thumb.jpg

post-3265-0-29656300-1395579519_thumb.jpg

post-3265-0-63500000-1395579803_thumb.jpg

post-3265-0-65647800-1395579826_thumb.jpg

Edited by keetamouse

Excellent posts, dogmad & keetamouse. Both based on experience.

That's an amazing photo of the carer with her pack & fosters. Lucky little dogs to be in her care!

She is amazing and has the luxury to go walking with the pack 2 to 3 times a day, she has special spots around Hall and near to where she lives away from traffic, people etc, they are interesting places for the dogs, they have break's where Janet sits under the trees and has a coffee and reads the paper and the dogs all sit around and have a nap.

We were around the lake a few weeks ago and there were about 10 cyclist "the grey nomads" and one guy had to come and find out who we were and he video'd us for their magazine, we certainly spread the word about rescue.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Maree

CPR

We were around the lake a few weeks ago and there were about 10 cyclist "the grey nomads" and one guy had to come and find out who we were and he video'd us for their magazine, we certainly spread the word about rescue.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Maree

CPR

But what a nice hijack. :) Great way to spread word about rescue, so people see how dogs thrive in foster-care. I hope you see the pics & article in their magazine.

Good question.

Great post RP :thumbsup:

Kennelling in emergency situations or even short term stays fair enough but dogs that sit in them for years is not on IMO. In the case of greyhounds, people (and rescues) think it's fine because they are used to it...crap...the life of a racing greyhound is not sitting in kennels 23 hours a day and they can go just as mad as any other breed. I do cat testing at a local shelter and have seen greyhounds not coping at all :(

The arguement I get is "oh well at least they're alive"

Yes but I don't call that living.

Edited by HazyWal

its all in the eye contact I believe...dog images should show the eye contact with the photographer...

Funny you should say that. I heard someone saying that this morning on tv, but they were talking about images of people on the front of magazines that sell. The idea of eye contact with the person looking at the picture is apparently important.

No rescue dog should be stuck in kennels for any length of time, a week in a shelter is damaging enough. Private foster homes I don't think there is a time limit but I think they should be held for at least a month to find out all their little habits and have time to do any training necessary.

My fosters always lived in my home as part of the family and got to enjoy normal day to day activities while learning any basics. And they were never handed over to an unsuitable home.

I had a falling out with a long term friend mainly because she decided to call herself a rescuer but every dog she fostered was locked up in her boarding kennels (as well as her own dogs) and moved on ASAP without ever experiencing normal family life.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I personaly don't like any rescue dog in a kennel environment unless it is there for a purpose i.e. emergency boarding, short term boarding i.e. 1-2 weeks whilst waiting for a carer/transport, with a Behaviourist etc.

Dogs need to be in foster homes becoming the best dogs they can possibly be to find the best possible homes. Warehousing dogs is not only irresponsible, it's expensive and it does no one anything positive...the dog or the new owner.

A rescue dog in a kennel environment = a dog you don't know the inns and outs of, you don't how it will react in different environments and situations and imo should not be rehomed from that situation.

I am aware of a Dane x that has been in a kennel with another rescue group for about 4 years now, he has a temperament that needs behavioural modification or euthanasia, I offered the rescue group to pay for his stay with our behaviourist, they didn't get back to me - in this case I believe this is pure neglect.

I see alot in rescue dogs living in boarding permantly long term i.e. months and months and months until a home is found or even in disgusting environments because for some reason people think this is better than death....I disagree in many situations. The term rescue dog shouldn't allow a dog to be treated any less that your own dog.

I get rescue shelters dealing with large amounts of dogs, there aren't many options there, that's not whom I'm talking about, I'm talking about small-medium rescue groups.

Edited by sas