What Breed For An Older Lady?

Homeriver

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mum has also started doing some research for her own dog as she looks at moving house and I move out.. we have a Vizsla at home right now who she just adores and she has commented about possibly getting an older rescue Vizsla from the breed clubs however, I think depending on the individual may still be too much for her to handle... She is used to med/large breeds, previously owned a standard poodle however, too much grooming for her now.. doesn't want a dog which sheds a large amount though... I think a Whippet would be a perfect fit for her... she walks along the beach everyday - with training is it reasonable to say Whippets can be let off leash?

Lifestyle village can mean 55+ independent living communities. Quite a few of these allow dogs. I'm pretty sure some allow larger dogs. Probably more common for communities where you buy in than in communities where you rent.

It was in the US, not Oz, but my mother lived in two such places. Both allowed her to have her Labrador . .. and when the Lab went over the rainbow bridge, she got a GSD X. They required only that she have a plan for someone to care for the dog if she was unable. Of course, there would have been big trouble if the dog wasn't well behaved . . . but in general, everybody loved the dog, and a lot of people who didn't have their own dogs delighted in having Mom's dog around.

Edited by sandgrubber

I think a Whippet would be a perfect fit for her... she walks along the beach everyday - with training is it reasonable to say Whippets can be let off leash?

Some years ago, I used to frequent a dog park where all sorts and all sizes of dogs ran freely.

People with Whippets came regularly too and I don't think I've ever seen anything much more joyous than when those dogs were let off their leads and off they went. I used to be in stiches because half the population of the dog park would end up racing around in a huge circular conga line (sort of ...... :D ). Then the Whippets would change direction :eek: . Wonderful fun for all.

I think a Whippet would be a perfect fit for her... she walks along the beach everyday - with training is it reasonable to say Whippets can be let off leash?

Some years ago, I used to frequent a dog park where all sorts and all sizes of dogs ran freely.

People with Whippets came regularly too and I don't think I've ever seen anything much more joyous than when those dogs were let off their leads and off they went. I used to be in stiches because half the population of the dog park would end up racing around in a huge circular conga line (sort of ...... :D ). Then the Whippets would change direction :eek: . Wonderful fun for all.

There are several greyhounds around where I live and I 100% agree with your comment - sighthounds are BEAUTIFUL to watch when in full stretch. I would recommend a greyhound for my mum also but I think they are too large in the sense she wouldn't be able to pick them up if in an emergency ... I'm really loving whippets as a choice for her though. We live in QLD, so it's a warm climate, the dog would be indoors and I imagine she would end up letting it sleep in the bed! haha.

I'm really loving whippets as a choice for her though. We live in QLD, so it's a warm climate, the dog would be indoors and I imagine she would end up letting it sleep in the bed! haha.

All good whippets deserve to sleep in a bed not to mention Iggies as well

Very exciting the choices for the OP methinks.

:thumbsup:

Mum and I both love big dogs too, but her village only allows medium to small breeds. I think if you owned an old larger dog when you moved in they assessed it to see if it was well behaved etc, so there are a couple of larger dogs around, but buying a new pup they would expect you to get a smaller one. Her village is an over 55's and is quite spread out with larger houses etc so it is quite dog friendly, but I know not all places like this welcome dogs. Think we are leaning towards a CKCS so we might go and meet a few. There are no worries about mum tripping and falling etc as she is no where near elderly yet and hopefully in 10 years time when it might start getting that way, he and her dog will have each other worked out. She comes to visit at our farm and would bring her dog and goes to the beach etc so she would be wanting something that she could let off the lead.

I'd be considered to be elderly and I have two CKCS. They do stay close but know to get out of the way and not get underfoot. It's surprising how fast they can move if they have to. I too am pretty light on my feet so we've had no accidental trip ups. Your Mum, being in her 50's is nowhere near elderly.

If Mum wants a dog she can allow off lead at your farm she must teach the dog recall as a puppy and keep proofing that recall. Dogs, particularly CKCS can be very inquisitive and she doesn't want a situation where she sees her dog disappearing into the distance at your farm.

CKCS are very food motivated and I found teaching recall was a breeze using a food treat. The treat can be phased out if your mother wishes.

There are several Cavaliers in the streets around me, they all seem happy little vegemites who love their walks.

One lives in the next street in a house with a long driveway and the gate placed halfway down. The people put his bed and water bowl by the gate so he can lie there (it is in the shade) and look at the passing parade :thumbsup::thumbsup: Mostly he is asleep though :laugh: :laugh:

I'd hardly call someone in their late fifties old!!!

My parents are in their mid fifties and walk over 15km per day or cycle over 40km per day. That's more than most people in their younger years. Its definitely more than what I do....

Back to the topic though....

How about a an adult border collie from a breeder or rescue that is known to have a calm temperament?

Or even a puppy from a good breeder that can pick the more laid back pups for her?

If she's used to working dogs they might suit as they are generally light and pretty easy to train.

My parents are probably going to get a border collie when they are ready for their next dog.

Cavalier might suit her if she likes that type of dog or even a mini schnauzer?

Pet Rescue is a lousy site for searching by breed. You can't. Philosophical reasons no doubt but "small, medium or large" is pretty useless for searching for temperament, maintenance or coat type which is where breed is very handy.

Actually you can, it's a bit of a work around but really easy.

You can set up an alert on Pet Rescue so that when a pet of a type you’re interested is added to the site, you’ll get an alert. A recent puppy I listed had over 160 enquiries – clearly if you’re enquiry 135 you’re probably not in consideration, no matter how great a home you have to offer. You’ll need to create a Pet Rescue account or sign-in with Facebook, but you can set up an alert here: http://www.petrescue.com.au/alerts/new

And another tip – Pet Rescue doesn’t let you search by breed, but if you are really interested in a specific breed or cross of that breed you can use Google (bearing in mind that identification of crossbreed dogs is almost impossible by visual analysis, so you’re going to get a lot of variants). In Google search use the syntax: breed month year site:.petrescue.com.au (i.e. whippet february 2014 site:.petrescue.com.au) which will give you a list of dogs identified as whippets or whippet crosses listed in February 2014.

You can use Google alerts to have this sort of search done automatically and the results emailed to you daily.

I'm still a bit :eek: at the older lady thing. I'm in my fifties and I'm thinking my next dog will be another Neo.

But if you're looking for a big dog in a little dog's body, a standard Dachshund would work.

My mother in law has a Tibetan Spaniel that she got at 3 years old. She was an x show dog and breeding bitch. What a wonderful little dog she is. Her tail never stops wagging and she loves everyone.

I'd hardly call someone in their late fifties old!!!

My parents are in their mid fifties and walk over 15km per day or cycle over 40km per day. That's more than most people in their younger years. Its definitely more than what I do....

Back to the topic though....

How about a an adult border collie from a breeder or rescue that is known to have a calm temperament?

Or even a puppy from a good breeder that can pick the more laid back pups for her?

If she's used to working dogs they might suit as they are generally light and pretty easy to train.

My parents are probably going to get a border collie when they are ready for their next dog.

Cavalier might suit her if she likes that type of dog or even a mini schnauzer?

Because as has already been said here. In a retirement village environment only SMALL dogs are allowed.

An adult Border Collie is not a small dog.

None of the retirement villages around here allow medium/large breeds. Anything larger than about cocker spaniel size and they start to get antzy

Yep, this ^. Only small dogs are allowed in retirement villages.

NOT NECESSARILY!!!!! Don't self-censor! Do put pressure for broader tolerance. If you believe it's true, you make it true!

There are several thousand 55+ residential developments in Australia. They are not all the same.

For example, I'd expect many retirement villages have had experiences with assistance dogs, and have developed tolerance of Labradors and perhaps also goldies. If a dog is proposed as a companion/service animal, eg., to provide emotional support through the transition to retirement, and the pup is sourced from a kennel that specializes in assistance dogs, I would guess many places would set aside prejudices against medium to large dogs.

Actually SG, now you've raised it I'll mention it although I thought it was a bit OT...

When applying for my current home (rental property) I included full details of my three dogs in writing, including breed, age, weight and photos - they are a 5.5kg poodle x, a 7kg Sheltie and a 21kg Aussie Shepherd. With no request from me the real estate agent listed 3 SMALL dogs on the lease... I don't think Quinn is small by any means but if the agent wants to accept them all as small that's fine by me :)

BCs can be variable in size and if your looking for an adult rehome as distinct from a puppy you might find one who is slightly under standard and being rehomed because they haven't made the correct size for showing. I have one who is about 12.5kg and is about a cm under the standard.

Edited by ness

The OP stated that a small to medium dog was needed and a Border Collie is certainly medium. Some bitches could almost be considered small as they can weigh as little as 14kgs.

Really? A Border Collie can be as small as that? In which case I stand corrected and offer my apologies.

I know about Rottweilers and Cavaliers but have little to no knowledge of Border Collies. I need to learn so I shall Google and won't be so quick to correct others in future.

BCs can be variable in size and if your looking for an adult rehome as distinct from a puppy you might find one who is slightly under standard and being rehomed because they haven't made the correct size for showing. I have one who is about 12.5kg and is about a cm under the standard.

Oh your BC is tiny. I bet she's a cute as a button. Will you please post a pic of her.

Actually SG, now you've raised it I'll mention it although I thought it was a bit OT...

When applying for my current home (rental property) I included full details of my three dogs in writing, including breed, age, weight and photos - they are a 5.5kg poodle x, a 7kg Sheltie and a 21kg Aussie Shepherd. With no request from me the real estate agent listed 3 SMALL dogs on the lease... I don't think Quinn is small by any means but if the agent wants to accept them all as small that's fine by me :)

I would think your agent appreciated that you were up front describing the dogs. What a nice thing to do.

It can be so difficult when renting to get any acceptance of dogs.

:thumbsup: