What Breed For An Older Lady?

Homeriver

The OP stated that a small to medium dog was needed and a Border Collie is certainly medium. Some bitches could almost be considered small as they can weigh as little as 14kgs.

Really? A Border Collie can be as small as that? In which case I stand corrected and offer my apologies.

I know about Rottweilers and Cavaliers but have little to no knowledge of Border Collies. I need to learn so I shall Google and won't be so quick to correct others in future.

Both of my girls are pretty small too. Just measured them and they are around 45cm tall. Amber weighs 14kg. Poppy is a fatso :laugh: My males have stood around 50cm though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the retirement villages around here allow medium/large breeds. Anything larger than about cocker spaniel size and they start to get antzy

Yep, this ^. Only small dogs are allowed in retirement villages.

NOT NECESSARILY!!!!! Don't self-censor! Do put pressure for broader tolerance. If you believe it's true, you make it true!

There are several thousand 55+ residential developments in Australia. They are not all the same.

For example, I'd expect many retirement villages have had experiences with assistance dogs, and have developed tolerance of Labradors and perhaps also goldies. If a dog is proposed as a companion/service animal, eg., to provide emotional support through the transition to retirement, and the pup is sourced from a kennel that specializes in assistance dogs, I would guess many places would set aside prejudices against medium to large dogs.

I too am looking at buying a self contained unit in a retirement village. My comment regarding small dogs comes as a result of my many enquiries to those who advertise units as being pet friendly. Though I have a history of spinal problems and indeed current issues with said spinal problems it is not my intention to imply my two CKCS are assistance dogs. That would be dishonest of me.

I believe the lady in question is in search a companion dog. No mention is made of her needing an assistance dog/emotional support dog. It has indeed been said that the lady is fit and healthy.

A large breed puppy would take time to train and pups are rambuctious until they're obedience trained. This is from personal experience with my former large breed dogs (Rottweilers). I wouldn't take the risk of body corporate or unit management informing me that I must get rid of my dog because it does not meet their pet friendly requirements.

It is much safer both for dog owner/unit owner to comply with the conditions set out by the body corporate right from the start so there is no question of the dog being too large and rambunctious for a retirement village. It would be devastating for the dog owner to have to part with their dog. It would also be unfair to the dog. Why risk it?

The OP stated that a small to medium dog was needed and a Border Collie is certainly medium. Some bitches could almost be considered small as they can weigh as little as 14kgs.

Both of my girls are pretty small too. Just measured them and they are around 45cm tall. Amber weighs 14kg. Poppy is a fatso :laugh: My males have stood around 50cm though.

Could you please post a pic of your little girls. They're such a pretty breed (as well as being as smart as a whip).

Could you please post a pic of your little girls. They're such a pretty breed (as well as being as smart as a whip).

To show size here is one with them sitting next to their Belgian friends. The black Belgian isn't a big Belgian.

23wm9gk.jpg

To show size here is one with them sitting next to their Belgian friends. The black Belgian isn't a big Belgian.

23wm9gk.jpg

Oh, they are truly gorgeous pretty dogs. Thanks for the pic.

I'm off to Google the breed.

When cavaliers are adult, they easily adapt to most situations. I sometimes lose my balance (result of injuries and coma) and fall - or almost fall. Cavaliers rush under the coffee table where they are safe (although I never fall on them), which is great, as I would hate to hurt one.

It is much safer both for dog owner/unit owner to comply with the conditions set out by the body corporate right from the start so there is no question of the dog being too large and rambunctious for a retirement village. It would be devastating for the dog owner to have to part with their dog. It would also be unfair to the dog. Why risk it?

That's good advice. And look very closely at the fine print re pets.... or ask a question about something that might be taken for granted. For example, some retirement villages state it's fine for people to move in with their already existing dog. Pets welcome, they say. But what's not necessarily said.... or perhaps is included in fine print somewhere... if that dog dies, the person cannot get a new dog while resident in the village.

That happened to people I heard of ... to their surprise & distress.

Re the OP's question. There's a perfect example of a young, sweet-natured, clean, calm Tibetan Spaniel boy, Oliver, for adoption from Foster Dogs Rescue in the ACT. Has pedigree papers, surrendered at only 18 months because of ill-health of owner.

His foster-carer has introduced him, with pic, on the Tibbie Breed forum ... with a glowing assessment. Pity this lad isn't in WA. But he is a great example of a close companion breed that would likely fit a situation described by the OP.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/106775-tibetan-breeds-lhasa-apsos-tibetan-spaniels/page__st__1560

Edited by mita

Yes that happens a lot around her Mita, makes me think that when I retire I need to get a single colour very generic looking dog so that if it passes away I can quietly add another one and hope no one notices it's a different dog... Maybe just say it was away visiting family for a while or something...

This thread is giving me some laughs. What I did think of when it was said that the village will accept only small dogs, and this is naughty of me, but you could get a puppy of any breed, because a puppy is small isn't it. And then when it grows into a larger breed, say: OMG, the breeder told me he/she was considered a small breed. :o:o

However, by the time that happens, the dog will be beautifully trained and loved by all the residents :laugh: :laugh:

Yes that happens a lot around her Mita, makes me think that when I retire I need to get a single colour very generic looking dog so that if it passes away I can quietly add another one and hope no one notices it's a different dog... Maybe just say it was away visiting family for a while or something...

KC, I didn't want to add that.... to the example I gave. But guess who took a longish holiday, .... while searching out a look-alike in the breed! :)

But they said, if they'd knew that 'rule' in the first instance, they would not have gone into that village. They hated being in the position of doing something 'behind backs'. And worried it could back-fire on the new dog, if discovered.

So.... ask questions, look at the fine print!!!

Edited by mita

That's good advice. And look very closely at the fine print re pets.... or ask a question about something that might be taken for granted. For example, some retirement villages state it's fine for people to move in with their already existing dog. Pets welcome, they say. But what's not necessarily said.... or perhaps is included in fine print somewhere... if that dog dies, the person cannot get a new dog while resident in the village.

That happened to people I heard of ... to their surprise & distress.

Re the OP's question. There's a perfect example of a young, sweet-natured, clean, calm Tibetan Spaniel boy, Oliver, for adoption from Foster Dogs Rescue in the ACT. Has pedigree papers, surrendered at only 18 months because of ill-health of owner.

His foster-carer has introduced him, with pic, on the Tibbie Breed forum ... with a glowing assessment. Pity this lad isn't in WA. But he is a great example of a close companion breed that would likely fit a situation described by the OP.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/106775-tibetan-breeds-lhasa-apsos-tibetan-spaniels/page__st__1560

If he was in WA he would currently be on my lap haha!

None of the retirement villages around here allow medium/large breeds. Anything larger than about cocker spaniel size and they start to get antzy

Yep, this ^. Only small dogs are allowed in retirement villages.

NOT NECESSARILY!!!!! Don't self-censor! Do put pressure for broader tolerance. If you believe it's true, you make it true!

There are several thousand 55+ residential developments in Australia. They are not all the same.

For example, I'd expect many retirement villages have had experiences with assistance dogs, and have developed tolerance of Labradors and perhaps also goldies. If a dog is proposed as a companion/service animal, eg., to provide emotional support through the transition to retirement, and the pup is sourced from a kennel that specializes in assistance dogs, I would guess many places would set aside prejudices against medium to large dogs.

I too am looking at buying a self contained unit in a retirement village. My comment regarding small dogs comes as a result of my many enquiries to those who advertise units as being pet friendly. Though I have a history of spinal problems and indeed current issues with said spinal problems it is not my intention to imply my two CKCS are assistance dogs. That would be dishonest of me.

I believe the lady in question is in search a companion dog. No mention is made of her needing an assistance dog/emotional support dog. It has indeed been said that the lady is fit and healthy.

A large breed puppy would take time to train and pups are rambuctious until they're obedience trained. This is from personal experience with my former large breed dogs (Rottweilers). I wouldn't take the risk of body corporate or unit management informing me that I must get rid of my dog because it does not meet their pet friendly requirements.

I would not give up on finding a body corporate that permits large to medium dogs.

As previously noted, my mother was able to find a very nice assisted living facility that would allow her to have her Labrador, and get another dog when the Lab passed away. The place was private, not a chain, and Quaker run. The residents were encouraged to play an active role in governance and many did.

The second dog Mom got while in assisted living, btw, was a rescue, and didn't work out well. He wasn't friendly to other residents, he was DA, and he was terrified of walking on linoleum (many of the common spaces in the place had lino floors). He eventually went back to the rescue (Mom adopted on the condition that the dog could be returned if he didn't work out). Molly (the Labrador) was not an assistance dog, and I do not advocate trying to fake any dog as an assistance dog. I merely stated that a place that has had experience with Labradors as assistance dogs may be more open to them as pets, especially if they come from a kennel that specializes in assistance dogs.

Anyone who knows anything about aging can tell you that many many dogs provide emotional support and comfort to people in their later years.

Rotties are, so to speak, XL rather than L, and have a very different reputation than Labbies. Finding a place that would allow a Rotti would be difficult -- even though many Rotties are sweet, lovely dogs.

Sandgrubber. I doubt we have any Quaker run retirement villages in Australia. We have to do the best we can with what we've got!

I don't know that the lady in question wants a large dog. I thought she was interested in a small/medium size dog.

BTW, Rottweilers are not classed as extra large dogs, they're just large dogs. True that it would be difficult to find a retirement village that would allow a Rottweiler :)