The Beauty Of Black Dogs

My little fluffy dog came to me as a pet shop reject. He spent a month in a pet shop and no one wanted him. The reasons were 'he's too big' (he was 3-4 weeks older than the other puppies and is now a whopping 5.5kg fully grown), and 'I'd prefer a white one, I don't want a black one'.

I really didn't want a fluffy dog but I was just drawn to him and wanted to make sure he was cared for.

I have been lucky enough to have a black dog.She was gorgeous, and her coat shone in the sunlight.Onlly issue is you cant see them in the dark and we would sometimes trip over her in a hallway.

Sadly she has now gone to God, and we miss her dearly.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another.

Although, when we were in the USA last year and stayed near by to the Best Friends Animal Sanctary Utah,in the town of Kanab, there was a flashing advertising sign with one of the adverts for the sanctuary and their "adopt a black pet free for the month of November." So as I am well aware, there are those in the community that do not share my love of black pets.

Thanks for the link! I find this really interesting and have always questioned so called "black dog syndrome".

I have always believed that the biggest hurdle black dogs face is that it can be very difficult to take a fantastic photo of them. I have photographed an endless number of shelter pets, black dogs are by far the most difficult to capture in character, expression and looks.

Black dogs are also much, much harder to see in shelter pens. In fact at times they are almost impossible to see even when right at the front of their pens, esspecially if the wire on kennel gates is small.

I watched adopting families for years and years walk past kennels of dogs of all types and colouring yet very few would stop and try to have a good look at black dogs. Once we got the same dogs out of their pens it was a different story altogether.

I also found when I photographed black dogs, printed out a poster and put it on the front of the kennel gate there was so much more interest in wanting to know more about the dog and meet them.

Guide dogs are mostly yellow and black labs, the yellow labs are used in most PR simply because they are much easier to photograph.

The black backdrop is interesting! I used different coloured sheets as backdrops though never thought of black, I guess lighting needs to be great though those photos are beautiful and the greying muzzle heaven on earth :)

As a sheltie breeder I know it is definitely true that the black ones are harder to sell. Could sell sables no problem but black tri males - no way.

Who could resist these faces?

post-808-0-52609400-1396336783_thumb.jpg

I love black dogs so really don't understand it

post-808-0-98765800-1396336800_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowanbree

As a sheltie breeder I know it is definitely true that the black ones are harder to sell. Could sell sables no problem but black tri males - no way.

[

I couldn't agree more. My heart dog was Danny, a black tri male sheltie that I found lost in awful condition. But his huge sweetness shone thro;. Wasn't claimed & thro' the shelite club who cleaned him up, I adopted him. Such a lovely boy, his nickname became Saint Danny. I miss him still. I like the spruced up, neat look of the black tri-colour shelties..

I agree with Nic... getting a photo that shows a black dog well, can be difficult. Photos of Brock, the black tibbie next door, used to come out blobby, with no detail of his handsome features. Then one day, someone took the perfect one! Click, enlarge:

post-3304-0-24938100-1396337957_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

post-808-0-52609400-1396336783_thumb.jpg

I love black dogs so really don't understand it

I'm amazed at that! ( tho obviously I believe you). I'd LOVE a black tri Sheltie...no offence to my Sable boy :o

There is a stunning two year old male black Kelpie at the Forbes pound, urgent for rescue. I never owned a black dog, but I think they are the most beautiful of the lot. :heart:

He really does look stunning! I hope he gets a save. Have to admit I'm tempted :o

Purebred black pups are harder to sell too. And having failed with a lot of photos of blacks, I have worked out that you need the light shining directly on the dog, or the features are just a black blob. Unfortunately, you get things like muddy noses too!! :laugh:

BoxersPortiaampHenryCockerpupsandCrystal037.jpg

There is a stunning two year old male black Kelpie at the Forbes pound, urgent for rescue. I never owned a black dog, but I think they are the most beautiful of the lot. :heart:

He really does look stunning! I hope he gets a save. Have to admit I'm tempted :o

AWDRI are taking him :)