30/20 Food

So much depends on the individual dog of course...my Springer is ridiculously active and fit - I ask a lot of her in training and competition. She lives on the smell of an oily rag - currently a cup a day of whatever (decent quality) food the dogs have won (or a chicken frame or lamb neck) plus training treats (lots of cheese at the moment). My Dally is fed Artemis (the regular one) - in his early days he was tough to keep weight on and, if it wasn't for the Dalmatian propensity for stone forming I would have tried the Artemis Power - just didn't want to risk the high protein (even though the type of protein is probably more important).

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure what the protein/fat is, but my high performance border collies get not quite a cup of Black Hawk, either fish or lamb,at night & half a turkey neck in the morning. They have heaps of energy.

ETA...I just looked it up & it is Lamb 25:14 & Fish 22:14

Edited by sheena

My standard does great on royal canin 4800. She is extremely active I have tried other dry blackhawk, advance & pro plan none were any good she lost too much condition & I was feeding her double what I feed of 4800 & still couldn't keep the weight on her. She gets 11/2 cups of 4800 & minced chicken frames or a bone. I won't ever bother trying different dry again she does too well on this :)

Ours are on the Artemis Power and have done really well on it. Mind you ours don't eat it daily, they are on bones through the week (beef or lamb brisket, roo tails, chicken carcasses etc) and have diced or minced beef or roo with some kibble on on Fri/Sat/Sun nights (we won't risk bones on a weekend as we are too far out of town if they happen to choke etc.) If they need a bit of fattening up I might give them a cup of dry in the morning before I leave for work, only takes a few days to get them back to the desirable weight.

I feed my adult Whippets Royal Canin Medium Junior. So do quite a few other Whippet folk.

It is 32:22

Bear in mind that it's not just the numbers that matter but the quality of the protein and fat sources that determine how well a dog will do on a diet.

Edited by Haredown Whippets