Dr Harry's Comments At Adelaide Pet Expo

Sydney Pet Rescue

Can anyone confirm reports that this is correct? If not, what did he actually say ??

Dr Harry IS TELLING THE PUBLIC, NOT TO BUY PETS FROM ANIMALS RESCUE OR SHELTERS........BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEHAVIORAL ISSUES”

Hopefully it was misinterpreted and someone who was there can clear this up.

Thanks guys.

The flyballers used to laugh at him when he would stand up during the lunch break and tell everyone you can't ever have BC's or Kelpies in the suburbs/city because they need to be worked constantly (since so many flyballers have BC's and live in the burbs)

He is just a bit of an idiot.

According to the Oscars Law Facebook page he said:

• Don’t adopt rescue dogs because you don’t know what problems you’re inheriting

• Support PIAA approved pet shops because they sell healthy puppies

• Staffies are part Pit Bull and therefore cannot be trusted with children

Oh I better tell my kelpie that too Jumabaar! She'll be shocked to know she shouldn't have been here for the last ten years...

Besides doesn't Katrina Warren who used to do stuff on his show have a border?

Her second Dog is called Riley.. And a rescue dog too I think not sure of breed

:)

Edited by VizslaMomma

I think in a previous year he demanded a rescue stall take down their posters for some equally stupid reason.

I managed to catch a segment once where he said that because a kelpie is an 'eye dog' you have to glare at it to fix behavioural problems. Which is just embarrasing really.

What a wasted opportunity to remind the general public how important consistency and training your dog is.

Rather than focus on what people shouldn't do, what they should do would be so much more useful!

Doesn't anyone remember him showing the small cross breed on TV that he had bought from a petshop. He said he was going back to get another one.

Maybe he breeds them to supply the pet shops. Who knows what goes on.

There is also a cross breed site that says it is recommended by Chris Brown of Bondi Vet, Kerrie whathername ? TV presenter, has sold a pup to Pat Rafter & mentions other celebrities.

Hows it supposed to stop when the rich & famous say its ok.

According to the Oscars Law Facebook page he said:

• Don’t adopt rescue dogs because you don’t know what problems you’re inheriting

• Support PIAA approved pet shops because they sell healthy puppies

Rescue dogs have a pretty good screening for problems when they've been taken in & monitored by good rescues/shelters who know their stuff.... both about dog behaviour & health. (NOTE: I'm only referring to rescues/shelters with high standards.) And potential adopters can speak directly to these 'screeners' to get information about the dog.

While, potential adopters have no direct clue what went on with pet shop puppies.... & specially the parent dogs. Usually there's no information given about background, no opportunity to see the conditions or extent of socialization of mother dogs ... nor the puppy raising techniques. Yet the research says all of that is critical in the puppies later behaviour as companion dogs. I'd expect a vet, whose expertise is based on veterinary science, to quote research to back opinions.

Edited by mita

:rofl: Kenz went up on the stage with him as the only BC in the building yesterday. Couldn't get her there on Saturday was to busy. He asked how old she was and what sort of activities we participated in then she had to demo leg weaving.

I think in a previous year he demanded a rescue stall take down their posters for some equally stupid reason.

I managed to catch a segment once where he said that because a kelpie is an 'eye dog' you have to glare at it to fix behavioural problems. Which is just embarrasing really.

O-o

Yeah I can see that going down well.

Obviously he hasn't a clue but there will be people who cling to his every word :(

I'd be curious to see video and what he actually said. He's had a rough trot the last few years and is probably ready to retire and prrhaps out of touch, but I wouldn't trust Oscars law as far as I could throw them. Wouldn't be the first thing they've blown out of proportion because it suited their agenda.

I love better homes and gardens, But cant bear to watch his segment.

The way he goes about some of his 'training' is just painful to watch and it annoys me :o

So thats usually when i get up to empty the dishwasher or find something else to do until hes gone haha

So these comments of his dont surprise me really..

I'd suggest it was more a case of he was being paid by PIAA to say those things, he probably needs the money. Surely something involved in the pet industry for as long as he has can't be that ignorant.

As far as not buying a staffy because they are part pit bulls, doesn't everyone know pit bulls are great with kids, sounds like a perfectly good reason to buy one :p