Being Asked For A Pet Related Donation

110 members have voted

1. 1. How would you react being asked for a pet related donation while shopping?

• Politely decline or accept
    • Lecture on why I do/do not support the given charity
    • Accept or decline, but find somewhere else to shop
    • Decline or accept with annoyance
    • Other

In chain stores you have to realize that the person asking you has no influence on the system . . . they are at the bottom of the pile, minimum wage employees. They may or may not like the RSPCA, but their understanding of the situation is irrelevant. Some boss has told them to ask. No point going on and on. If you want to have an influence, better to contact the company HQ and voice your opinion there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those asking have drunk the Kool Aid though. Ask once because they have to and they get a polite refusal. Treat me as if I am selfish to refuse and they get more of an explanation, and lose my custom.

Had some of those door to door overseas traveller job ones come to work yesterday looking to sign people up for ongoing donations to some mob... they were really persistent (I was having a ciggie break at the time), so I turned it all back on them and asked if they'd like to make a donation to my particular fave charities... *grin*

T.

Had some of those door to door overseas traveller job ones come to work yesterday looking to sign people up for ongoing donations to some mob... they were really persistent (I was having a ciggie break at the time), so I turned it all back on them and asked if they'd like to make a donation to my particular fave charities... *grin*

T.

Bet that shut them up :laugh:

T.

Bet that shut them up :laugh:

Was looking for an escape like you wouldn't believe... lol!

T.

At Christmas a few shops asked me for donations, but the way they did it was to ask if I would round up my total. So if I'd spent 18.50 they would ask if I would like to round it up to $19 or $20 and the extra money go to a charity. I always said yes to those ones, for some reason I found it less abrasive. Otherwise I refuse every time

At Christmas a few shops asked me for donations, but the way they did it was to ask if I would round up my total. So if I'd spent 18.50 they would ask if I would like to round it up to $19 or $20 and the extra money go to a charity. I always said yes to those ones, for some reason I found it less abrasive. Otherwise I refuse every time

Yes, I'd find that so, too. I rather like the 'traditional' charity collection box (like Guide Dogs) being on the counter, so I can drop change into it.

Is someone willing to explain why the RSPCA is getting such a bad rap (or so it seems through social media). I've had very little to do with them and was just wondering why it seems so many people have issues.

If there is another thread that has well and truly covered this I more then happy to follow a link.

On topic though, I think the coin boxes are slowly dissapearing because less and less people are shopping with cash. Which is why more and more sales assistants are now required to ask for donations.

Growing up we would get loose change from mum for those life sized guide dog coin boxes.

Is someone willing to explain why the RSPCA is getting such a bad rap (or so it seems through social media). I've had very little to do with them and was just wondering why it seems so many people have issues.

If there is another thread that has well and truly covered this I more then happy to follow a link.

If you do a search here for rspca, many threads will show up.

Thanks Cody - I feel somewhat stupid for not thinking of that myself.

Thanks Cody - I feel somewhat stupid for not thinking of that myself.

Hehe. That's ok! :)

I really dislike when people approach me for donations in the shops.

I'd rather sit down and consider what charities I want to support and do direct funds transfers or use their donate pages directly.

I've been known to hand over pet stock vouchers and free sample dog foods to friends in rescue. They are more likely to use those up before they expire than I am.

I have been known to buy the occasional shopping bag - proceeds to some charity or other.

And I have been known to send snarky letters to people like the RSPCA who spend my donations on printing stuff to beg me for more donations. And I get really snarky when I get the same paper begging letter for the same already rescued dog over and over even after phoning them and telling them not to do that. They're not getting any more of my money any time soon.