I Think My Dog Swallowed Some Plastic!

I think my 6 month old Husky has swallowed a bit of plastic! I can't find this piece which came off a removable wall hook. I found him with the larger bit but cannot find the smaller bit! It is a flat rectangle that measures around 10mm wide x 20mm long and is around 2mm thick.

I have given him half a piece of bread and I have made up a batch of Slippery elm.

As this only happened an hour ago, he is showing no signs that anything is wrong. He is quite a large boy and weighs just over 21kg.

Any advice on course of action. I am not sure I want to rush him to emergency and have him sedated and x-rayed and then find the missing bit of plastic. Having said that I don't want to do the wrong thing either.

A little piece 1cm by 2cm really shouldn't give a big dog any dramas, i would just keep an eye on him.

Oh, that is reassuring to hear. I am pretty paranoid with keeping things like this away from him so this is a bit distressing for me as his carer. I will defo be keeping a close eye on him.

I would think it might be ok. Of course no one can predict an outcome though really.

My pug Monte swallowed all manner of things including rocks, pebbles, half an onion, sticks, tonnes of dirt, a coin and who knows what else I didn't see. He never once needed vet treatment thankfully. It all came back out the other side.

If he shows any discomfort or pain or stops eating or droning then straight to the vet though!

I would think it might be ok. Of course no one can predict an outcome though really.

My pug Monte swallowed all manner of things including rocks, pebbles, half an onion, sticks, tonnes of dirt, a coin and who knows what else I didn't see. He never once needed vet treatment thankfully. It all came back out the other side.

If he shows any discomfort or pain or stops eating or droning then straight to the vet though!

Thanks Anne,

Yeah, he is a bugger with getting stuff too, thankfully I have avoided most up until now.

Yes, I would just keep an eye on him Yonjuro.

My boxer once chewed and swallowed half of one of these happy chaps:

VTL4351-Classic-Sausage-Rope-Toy.jpg

The cheery mangled face in the poo gave me an awful fright! :laugh:

I hope you knew it would be coming out, as seeing that face in poop is the stuff of nightmares :laugh:

I had no idea he'd swallowed it actually. Took me a minute to go through his toys and work it out! :eek:

I shouldn't laugh but the picture in my mind is pure comedy/horror :D

Didi is always sneaking stuff out of the bin but her stomach has this weird special power where it knows something isn't food and she just throws it straight back up which is disgusting but the better option I suppose. One morning she woke me up by oh so sweetly retching over my face and then chucking up a piece of old bone she'd buried then dug up from the yard all over my bed :)

The piece sounds pretty little so hoping for you it just passes through and that your little guy's okay!

Didi is always sneaking stuff out of the bin but her stomach has this weird special power where it knows something isn't food and she just throws it straight back up which is disgusting but the better option I suppose. One morning she woke me up by oh so sweetly retching over my face and then chucking up a piece of old bone she'd buried then dug up from the yard all over my bed :)

The piece sounds pretty little so hoping for you it just passes through and that your little guy's okay!

Thanks TerriS,

The worst thing is that I cannot be 100% that he did swallow it. I am pretty sure he did though. I just don't really know how long it will take to come out and If I should be worried if I don't find it tomorrow?

Something reassuring:

My old lab once swallowed a whole set of keys (x-ray proof), and he pooped them out rofl1.gif

Ate a whole set of keys? I just visualised that one and it made me giggle a bit as my sisters lab is the same and will pretty much eat anything (he once ate an entire phonebook)!

Trouble was a shocker when she was young... ate all manner of things which passed out the other end just fine. I'd look at her stools and go "ouch, that must have hurt to pass"...

Pickles fave is bedding, and the more colourful the better... can always tell her stools during poo patrol... *sigh*

T.

My dog was a rotter for eating pegs, and after one time I sprung her chewing on one, I gave her the "vomit treatment" and poured about 1/4 cup of really salty water down her throat until she started up chucking. No peg.

I found the bits of peg later - she hadn't swallowed it this time.

For a long time after - she didn't steal another peg - so I must have made a connection.

Small smooth things - it's safe to get vomit treatment - is best within 30 minutes of eating the contraband, but up to 2 hours I think it will still work. I usually go to the vet, they've used all sorts of different things to start the vomiting. Including some expensive drug that needed an antidote to stop it... yuck - but I got the contraband back (chicken bones - probably the vet being best place to be with those - lucky not to spike on the way down or back).

Must not use vomit treatment with wire or fish hooks. But is probably ok with strapping tape (that can be expensive if a big lump of it gets swallowed.

Thanks for all the comments.

He did a normal poo this morning but there was nothing in it. I just don't know right now. He ate his brekky with gusto as normal. He looks a bit flat right now, but he is normally having a snooze at this time so I can't really tell if he is feeling unwell.

We have the trainer coming over in a couple of hours and he is normally super excited to see her so this will probably show if he is feeling poorly.