Has Anyone Used One Of These Before

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with products such as this before :

https://www.backontr...ug-mesh-medium/

My girl recently had a hip injury and under the vet's suggestion I have been carefully applying heat packs to help soothe sore muscles. She is better now but I wonder if something like this would be good to have on in general and if it would help with any future sore muscles since it says it "reflects heat back onto the dog".

Wonder if stuff like this really works?

Does anyone use stuff like this before or after going into the ring as well? I haven't seen many people using things like this in obedience trials but I assume it would be more common in agility?

Would love any feedback.

Yep use one on both of mine. Bought one when my youngster was having issues with biceps tendonitis and some compensating soreness through her spine. She spent a lot of time being crate rested and it certainly helped with the overall soreness/stiffness factor.

My older girl has started wearing one to bed sometimes and definitely wakes up much more perky and feral and free moving then on days she doesn't.

Edited by ness

My feral old girl has the mesh one for not so cold weather, and the quilted one for winter. (Thanks ness ;-)). At the moment, she uses them as pyjamas, but I might start using them between runs in agility and rally in the cold weather, instead of just a normal coat or her puff jacket.

She'd seems to like wearing them. It's hard to know how beneficial, but I'm pretty sure they do have benefits. My acupuncture/massage vet likes them.

I recently got a back on track coat for Elsie, as she has had a couple of muscle injuries and is often sitting around in the cold at trials and training (we're in NZ). My osteo recommended the coat, and I am finding it great so far, it's lovely and really, really warm! We do heat packs and massage, and I find it great for keeping her warm after her massages and when she is sitting around in the car or after a walk.

Elsie has this coat > Elite Cover, she seems to really like wearing it too.

Edited by DiscoDobe

Ohh interesting replies! Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of getting one to have her sleep in them now while recovering from her injury, and for after her massages. I have an Aussie Shepherd, should I go with the mesh on or in your experiences are the quilted ones better? I worry it will get too hot for double-coated dogs?

Yep use one on both of mine. Bought one when my youngster was having issues with biceps tendonitis and some compensating soreness through her spine. She spent a lot of time being crate rested and it certainly helped with the overall soreness/stiffness factor.

My older girl has started wearing one to bed sometimes and definitely wakes up much more perky and feral and free moving then on days she doesn't.

What size do you use if you don't mind me asking, I'm assuming you use them on your border collies?

Edited by silentchild

I bought the mesh version. It gets cold here but not super cold and they are a double coated breed who I wouldn't otherwise coat. I think the mesh version is fine in a breed you wouldn't otherwise rug/coat overnight. I also think the mesh is probably more comfortable for them to sleep in. I have considered getting Kenz a waterproof version for wearing when out but haven't got that far yet.

Kenz is a little BC (13kg) and i have a 49cm one for her. Ness is a more normal BC size and has a 55cm. They are a fairly loose fit. The 55cm is probably a little generous for her and initially that is the size I had for Kenz. I wasn't sure how they sized so erred on the caution side and figured slightly big wasn't as much of a problem as to small.

I might have gone a 52cm for Kenz if it hadn't been for a DOL having one which needed a new home.

I'd be inclined to start with the mesh one. Kirra has a 55. She's a 490 height at withers BC, but a skinny Minnie...it's probably just a tad big around got her, but i needed the length. That should be fine for a normal sized Aussie bitch. :-)

Ohhhhhh Kenz and Ness are so cute modelling the coat. :love:

Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

My Aussie is only a tiny little thing too, about 16kg and 490 at the withers too. The back part looks very long, does it interfere with toileting? The drawstrings are a bit worrying, reckon my girl might try to chew on them, little rascal.

Think I will go with the mesh based on DOL recommendations, hope they help the muscle soreness a bit. I am assuming the rug heats everything it covers, and not just targeted spots? I might get the 55 if it means it can cover her thigh muscles too, she tends to get quite tight in those muscles.That's the 55-58 size on the website, right?

Edited by silentchild

Mine has 54-56 on the package for the 55 coat. Ness is about 480mm/16kg. I would take a back length measurement and use what is closest. I noticed they have resized them since i got mine. You might be ok with the 52-54. Not sure the 55-58 wouldn't be a bit long.

I take my girls coats off when they go to the toilet so can't help you on that.

Back on Track website should have instructions on how to measure. Make sure you do it accurately as it needs to be pretty close to perfect in length or dog's tail won't go comfortably through zippered opening at rear. My BC has 55cm, she is 500mm and weighs app. 14-15kg. Coat is pretty big widthwise but needed the length. Same size also fits my kelpie, 510mm and 17kg. Both are fine with toileting with them on.

what exactly is the zipped tail part? Does anyone put another coat on top? Thinking this might be good for the greys but I always double coat them when out at night. No good if they only partly keep them warm

Zippered tail section is for breeds who have tails which stick up. I don't use it with my BCs. You can put another coat on top or you could get a waterproof one which is warmer and has padding.

Yep the company are based in WA so you could see about going and trying one on.

Edited by ness