When You Stay In Dog Friendly Accommodation

sheena

When staying in dog friendly accomodation  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your dogs on the beds

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Sheena your little get away cabin is sounding divine.

We have been many places with the dogs in three states over the years, and the most stressful places to stay were ones that made the dogs sleep in the car. The car was cold and condensation formed or to hot. And the dogs barked, when other dogs barked during the night. There was no covered area to park the car, so it was exposed to the sun and rain. You cannot have dogs in cars under those circumstances.

Our dogs sleep inside in their crates or on their beds, not on our bed or the furniture, when at home. These rules are followed wherever we go. Paws are wiped upon entry into the cabins, with the dogs' towels, never supplied towels. We have stayed in a couple of cabins where the dogs slept in their crates on the verandas, which were properly roofed and had enclosed railings. This was good in the summertime, as the dogs could be feed out there while we ate our dinner. They were able to chill with us at the end of the day until bed. This is not so good in the colder months.

Our dogs are used to being with us, so it is an enjoyable time away if they can also be with us in the cabin.

When we go camping we take a small generator along to provide lighting, using fluorescent lighting. This may be an option if solar is to expensive.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Grumpette, I am now checking out the Rainbow Power Company that have do-it-yourself LED Solar downlight kits. Each set of four lights has their own solar panel & built in batteries. We have a little device that we use in the caravan called a "Mini Jump Start", which is about the size of a laptop battery, & it is charged on 240V. When fully charged it will run a 12 volt TV for at least four hours or jump start my Ford Territory 20 times before it need recharging. Fridge, cooking & hot water will be gas & water gravity fed. So it is doable, just have to be careful with the power usage, but will be able to have a generator on standby for rainy days. It's not just the cost of the Solar , but the enormous space it takes up. Maybe it will be more attractive if it is entirely Clean & Green & people are prepared to maybe not have a microwave & will wont be able to sit up till midnight watching TV. As my little granddaughter will tell you, there are far more interesting things to do down there, at night, than watch boring TV....that's when the fairies all come out :laugh: By the way...your in Grumpette :laugh: I am hoping it will be a bit like when we camp down in the Waldhiem Cabins at Cradle Mountain...no TV or microwave there, but plenty to do after dark.

Your place looks and sounds amazing, sheena!

We have stayed in pet friendly places, but our dogs always sleep on their own beds on the floor, as they do at home. Sometimes they'll come into the bedroom, but stay on the floor next to the bed. This would be the same when we are away, and we would not stay where this could not happen.

We have stayed in caravan parks whilst travelling through, and had the dogs in the car for the night, but it's rare.

I love what you are doing. Our dream has been to buy about 100 acres, and put in about 6 holiday cabins on it, and make it big dog friendly with fenced yards around each cabin, and dogs allowed in the cabins. Having a great dane and greyhound, we are often told by accommodation providers that only small dogs are allowed. We just have to win Lotto to be able to realise our dream :(

Your place looks and sounds amazing, sheena!

We have stayed in pet friendly places, but our dogs always sleep on their own beds on the floor, as they do at home. Sometimes they'll come into the bedroom, but stay on the floor next to the bed. This would be the same when we are away, and we would not stay where this could not happen.

We have stayed in caravan parks whilst travelling through, and had the dogs in the car for the night, but it's rare.

I love what you are doing. Our dream has been to buy about 100 acres, and put in about 6 holiday cabins on it, and make it big dog friendly with fenced yards around each cabin, and dogs allowed in the cabins. Having a great dane and greyhound, we are often told by accommodation providers that only small dogs are allowed. We just have to win Lotto to be able to realise our dream :(

Don't you just hate that...only small dogs allowed. They are the ones that make all the noise :laugh: I hope one day you realise your dream. I think though unless you do all the work yourself, just a small cabin will set you back 100 grand :( That's a lot of money to try & recoup. We will be doing all the work ourselves & hope to get out of it for about $50,000. I would never live long enough to recoup my investment. Flashsmum...your in :)

Who needs power? ;)

When I was teaching in New Caledonia I stayed on a farm a way out of town - I had my own cottage, complete with long drop, cold shower and now power. I LOVED it. Really relaxing and the best night's sleep. (I think it was 3 nights.)

Maybe you could use gas?

Who needs power? ;)

When I was teaching in New Caledonia I stayed on a farm a way out of town - I had my own cottage, complete with long drop, cold shower and now power. I LOVED it. Really relaxing and the best night's sleep. (I think it was 3 nights.)

Maybe you could use gas?

Definately going to be using gas for cooking, fridge & hot water. I have even suggested to OH that we could run a seperate black poly pipe from the house 500 meters & that would heat the water. No good on a cold day though :laugh:

We would dearly love to take our girl camping with us, we nicked off to the Howqua River last year in the middle of winter and it was wonderful! Probably not so good with a dog though, so we'd look for pet-friendly accommodation. Our girl is allowed onto the bed and couch at home but only ever by invitation, and they are both covered in any case. But if the rules say no dogs on furniture then we'd abide by that, and she'd sleep happily in her crate of a night time. We'd bring covers with us if they said allowed on furniture though as well as supplying towels for her, because she's a ridiculous water baby and would love love looooove the dam :laugh: it sounds amazing Sheena!

Your welcome too BL :laugh: I have just been talking to an engineer friend that makes solar panels & he said that the quote I got was a rip off. Interestingly he said that a microwave uses the equivilient of 60 LED lights. So I think we will do away with the microwave...it doesn't really go with the environmental ambiance any way :laugh: I am going through ideas for names but at the moment it will be 'Corkwood Cottage' :)

Oh wow that looks like fun Jules :) They have a couple of those set up at Mylestom Caravan Park on the Bellingen River, but I've never stayed in one. I am currently getting a lot of help from a guy at The Rainbow Power Company at Nimbin. He has a very similar set up to what I want to do...same size cabin & everything :thumbsup: Maybe we could build a glamping next :laugh:

We are going interstate a couple of times this year and have booked really nice dog friendly accommodation.

One allows pets on furniture and the second one doesn't allow pets in the bedrooms (it is carpeted) nor on furniture.

Our two are not allowed on furniture at home anyway.

So we will see how both places pan out.

Well the only dog-friendly accommodation we have stayed at is family :laugh:

Del is allowed on the bed there, not on the lounges, which is fine by us.

She is a plus-sized dogg and I will say that not having to take much bedding for her is advantageous for us. Her bed ways many kgs and takes up a lot of space (in the car and in the home).

I have heard some accommodation will allow dogs on furniture as long as the furniture is covered with a sheet. I think that's not a bad way of doing it.

If we stayed at accommodation where she wasn't allowed on furniture then I would just pack her bed and she would sleep on her bed.