Vent: Why Do People Get A Pup Without Really Thinking It Over

Scottsmum

I'm having real trouble at the moment with my mum.

Her partner rescued a husky a few months back. The (interstate) rescue org either didn't know or weren't overly forthcoming with a lot of details.

This dog has serious issues. He can't keep her in, she climbs the 6ft fences, she broke a window and jumped through it at one point and just sails over any fencing fix he whips up.

She gets 10k plus of biking a day but no mental stimulation or anything. I've sent umpteen links for social sledding, lure coursing, behaviourists (Nekhbet, haha) and things to keep this dog happy and busy.

All too time consuming as he works a lot. Dog continues to get out, stroll around and wind up at the vet awaiting collection.

/rant.

Sounds very stressful and dangerous. Sorry you're in this situation.

On a side note - I saw a really interesting snippet presented at SPARCS the other day about dogs who were given large amounts of exercise Vs one on one attention and mental stimulation and their improvement in their behaviour.

Sadly that's all I got as I couldn't watch the live stream and don't remember the name of the person who presented.

http://caninescience.info

Really considering splurging and buying a membership to SPARCS so I can watch the videos at my own leisure... Maybe next payday...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Nearly got myself booted from a facebook group last night...

I'm a member of a local "pay it forward" group - you know - kind of like free cycle. While not able to be enforced, one of the "rules" is that you must live in area to use the service . Admittedly there are over 2000 of us -so I don't know everyone and the location rule is a nightmare for admin to police.

Anyhow, this guy I don't know posts a young Maltese x saying "9 month old malt x, outside dog, free to good home. We've moving into a flat".

When I clicked on the guys profile - he looked like he was about 17, he had all these other photos of this big hulk of a dog (very attractive, large mixed breed - maybe some bull arab kind of lines) - no mention of the malt puppy (not that facebook stalking is definitive). What worried me the most was that one of the images was of a kid holding the pup (kids head cropped off) but the kid was in a school uniform for a school which is very out of area (well over an hour from us).

I was on my phone so I couldnt easily tag admin and so I called him on it and said - I think this is fishy. Followed by by "I don't mean to bash anyone who is looking to rehome a pet but his seems sus".....

Holy. Cow.

holy holy cow.

I had bleeding hearts attack me for judging the guy, I had the guy blow up because he's been threatened (he took bash in the physical violence sense of the word - even after I tried to explain), I had some woman swear at me for picking on this other dude..... and then the original poster say "fine - I'll just leave the dog in the street".

It was such a bizarre and over the top escalation. Anyhow. Just needed to vent - it was so sus from beginning to end.

Some pets really draw the short straw.

I'm on a lot of buy/sell/swap sites and as soon as a dog is posted FTGH it goes down the shitter in 3....2....1 :laugh: I rarely bother commenting anymore it always gets out of control and seriously abusive. I couldn't count the amount of times someone says GET A LIFE!!!!!!! always in capslock :p

Yup. All defensive and ALL CAPS. Yuk.

slighty OT though along the same vein........I was on a motorbike FB page....note, was......which promoted it's self to be family friendly, learner friendly & just all round friendly page :D

Until the admin showed video footage of her being taught to ride a motorbike 1/ with no helmet.....2/ no shoes & 3/ riding out on a very public road!!!!

There were a few of us who gently asked her "why not go to the local training provider & learn correctly & safely?"

Well...similar to you Scottsmum...we were all told "it's MY body & I will DO things MY way & will NOT have anyone tell ME what to do!!!!!!"

Our comments were all removed & I removed myself from the page when the same women started threatening another woman for comments about her grankid....talk about finding her home & taking people around to "sort her out!!!!!!!!"

WTF :eek:

Edited by biker girl

I suppose I need to make a depressing update here...

Remember the fat dog? It has been joined by a fat BC puppy. And the person who is responsible for picking up after the dogs (and probably for walking them) has injured his leg and he can't walk at all.

The first dog still looks like a barrel. And the puppy - too hard to tell but I feel very sorry for it. It's not going to get walked.

In hope - I post links to trick training whenever she posts anything about the dog. This is fun... try this...

A fat puppy!? Gee here I am making sure I don't overfeed my Aussie so he has the best chance of living a sound, happy life... Do people even care about longevity in their pets??

I have friends who recently got a 7 week old (at the time) Lab puppy. Yesterday after a night of storms the wife put up a status saying something to the likes of poor puppy was under the patio trying to be out of the rain, hail, thunder & lightning but it all got him eek1.gif WTF don't have a laundry to put your probably not even 10wk old pup in???? Pissed me off. They have two kids (4 & 1?) also, not a great example.

I'm currently biting my tongue over a post on a buy swap and sell page. It's for Maltese x poodle, but of course they've smooshed the name together. Someone has asked if it's a recognised breed, and have been told yes! Then another person mentioned about it being a 'designer breed' (in a negative way) and was shot down.

Yeah someone was giving away two greyhounds yesterday (must be gone by Tuesday) on a local site which is rare, you don't see greyhounds on there very often and I posted a few links to greyhound rescue groups here and then of course someone said how it's a disgusting industry and off they went! All in caps "HOW DARE YOU!!!! MY FATHER IS A RESPECTED TRAINER...." blah blah blah then a girl pipes up and says "I have been around greyhounds my whole life, I'll take the gold one" Hmmm if you knew so much about greys you'd know there is no such colour as gold, the dog was fawn *rolls eyes*. It was that moment I decided to log off and watch My Kitchen Rules :laugh:

Back away from these groups, folks. You can't win. I've tried.

And I'm a member of a Lab group which meets fortnightly at a dog park. Ernie loves it. The last time we went, I saw THREE labs his size that had to be 50-60 kgs. To me, that is abuse. I was so angry watching these dogs heave themselves around for 5 minutes and then flop down because they were exhausted. Ages? 3, 6 and 5 ½ .

Argh. And then there's me, with Ernie, watching him, thinking 'hmm he's looking a tiny bit porky from training treats must cut back on his food' and one of the large lab owners asks me IF HE IS PUREBRED BECAUSE HES SO SMALL.

Wtf.

Ps. Ernie's almost 10 mos and weighs 24 kgs.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I can't even understand why some people have children let alone pets :cry:

What is so hard about keeping an animal in a clean, suitable & pleasurable environment, feeding it properly & giving it the love & care it needs ?

Even with my tiny breed it only takes a 2 minute brush a day to keep nice ( apart from clips) & so many can't even be bothered to do that :mad

Its not rocket science or a lot of hard work.

An all too common vent & always has been. So sad.

And cats. Had a cat handed in to work today because they dodnt want it. It had already been adopted from the RSPCA then palmed off to the adult daughter who then brought him in. He is in trial in a new home though so thats a good thing. A better home than ever before im guessing.

And I'm a member of a Lab group which meets fortnightly at a dog park. Ernie loves it. The last time we went, I saw THREE labs his size that had to be 50-60 kgs. To me, that is abuse. I was so angry watching these dogs heave themselves around for 5 minutes and then flop down because they were exhausted. Ages? 3, 6 and 5 ½ .

Argh. And then there's me, with Ernie, watching him, thinking 'hmm he's looking a tiny bit porky from training treats must cut back on his food' and one of the large lab owners asks me IF HE IS PUREBRED BECAUSE HES SO SMALL.

Wtf.

OMG. Same with my breed Stressmagnet.

Cavaliers are pretty much as 'foodie' as labs are. And so many are grossly and morbidly obese.

I also know some uber fat labs. I just hate it icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by denali

I was threatened with being reported to Facebook after correcting someone on their dog's breed while they were trying to sell it on a local BS&S pet facebook page. He wanted $200 for his pure bread registered Maltese Shutiz (all actual spelling from the ad).

I thought I was very restrained just asking if he meant shih Tzu and asking if he meant registered with council as a Maltese Shih Tzu was not a registered breed.

Then there was the girl trying to rehome her cat and kittens (actually in her words she needed to "get rid of them") as her boyfriend was about to move in.

I had to leave the group as I found myself yelling at my laptop daily about how stupid those people were. Awful people.

Wtf.

I get "look at your miniature shepherd". Makes my blood boil!

Edit for phone putting full stops in strange places...

Edited by Jemmy

Yeh - this malt cross has been rehomed within the group. So lots of happy "yay we saved a life updated this afternoon". Apparently it came "with papers" I can only assume they mean toilet paper...

Any of course (addressed to me) to "someone not to mention her a name thought he was a scammer n wanted to smash him whos the fool now missy dont let me bump into u missy im born n bred in the ville lol"

All I can say is I HAVE learnt my lesson. Don't quite think it's the one she thinks she's taught me.

A timely thread as I'm beating my head against a brick wall after having the "Bendigo free pets" group suggested to me on Facebook. NO. JUST NO. BECAUSE NO.

I often see 'WTB *insert breed here* for free or cheap plz' .......WHY!?!?! I know we all like free stuff. I like free samples, I like free furniture on the side of the road, I like free upgrades. These are all really neat things. But this is another LIFE that YOU need to be RESPONSIBLE for. You cant just be responsible for the idea of having a dog and leave it at that. Time, effort, patience, consistency, training, money and most importantly love need to be spent on this creature and it just breaks my heart to see people just after the cheap and easy option.

This thread has me almost in tears, doesn't happen very often (I have been described as a burnt out husk of a human being :laugh:) but I keep thinking of our 4yr old rescue girl who is reactive and was unsocialized. FOUR. She herded up the kids they said, she chewed all our stuff she said, she hates other dogs they said. And then they said they "couldn't take her with us where we're going" so they handballed her off to the pound.

Unless you're going to the North Pole or the bleeding MOON, you had a commitment to this girl and you broke it. You gave up on her. You quit.

But WE found her. And in two months she has improved immeasurably because we've taken the time and put in the effort. She's so smart, such a blessing to have around, a total dag and my L'Oréal dog. She's worth it. They all are.

Rant over. Just a bit emotional.

Edited by Better Late

Do people even care about longevity in their pets??

I don't think these people even care about their own longevity.

I see such fat labs on the beach every time I go. It's frightening.

People think their dogs are happy because they're panting and "smiling"...

That's not smiling - a dog that flops down as soon as you stop moving because it's exhausted.