Worrying Trend In The Show Ring

post-31284-0-11391800-1402282811_thumb.jpg

This is the best Best of Breed at Westminster (the AKC equivalent to Crufts).

The dog is clearly overweight and could even be described as obese. How is it possible that a dog in this condition could win best of breed? Does this dog looking capable of putting in a day's work?

I don't really follow the aussie show ring much but the few shows I have been to, I have been quite disturbed by the excess weight that many of the labs are carrying. Most of the shows I go to also held agility and gundog trials at the same time and the difference in the condition of the show dogs and other dogs was obvious. Some of the puppies in the puppy class were almost double the width of my pet labrador. At the royal easter show, quite a few of the labs waddled around the ring, and there were some nasty comments from those around me. I felt like turning around and saying that not all labs are like that, and many labs are actually quite athletic!

These dogs are meant to be top specimens of the breed, and I really think they should be shown in a healthier condition. No wonder people think it is ok, even normal for their labrador to be overweight :(

This concern has nothing to do with type or show vs working, as any type of dog can be overweight, but really should judges be rewarding those that are overweight? Being overweight reduces quality of life as well as lifespan, so it is a serious health issue.

This is my lab

post-31284-0-65787800-1402284093_thumb.jpg

She wouldn't make a show dog but she is happy and healthy.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that labs in the show ring do seem to be getting fatter and carrying more and more weight. But I think show bred labs are also heavier in general.

My old boy born in 2001 was very heavy boned from quality show lines. He was healthy at around 36kgs (as in can still feel all ribs, nice tuck up and muscle tone). The only time he was ever as thin as your lab was when he was literally on deaths door step with IBD. He didn't look nice and fit like her though, he looked like a corpse.

If he dropped below 34kgs he was back at the vet to make sure his IBD wasn't flaring up.

It makes it hard for your average pet owner too.

My flat coat looks much like your dog, still lots of filling out to do but last time we went to the vet I was told he was very skinny 'for a retriever' in a negative way. I was pretty upset and took it pretty hard, and for a while I did try fatten him up a little, but it made a huge impact on his energy levels. Even a few kg made a difference, and he wasn't as bouncy and ready to run and swim at a moments notice and go for hours. He's back to being fairly trim now and I still get a lot of comments about it but none bother me as much as the vet.

I wonder if its the show ring influencing the public a bit or vice versa? Labs have in my lifetime been a 'chunky' pet, I suspect that's peoples way of coping with the energy levels of young dogs on some level, that and they're garbage guts dogs.

I don't know how long that's been a show trend, but it does make me wonder about the influence the public has. Its evident I suppose in lots of breeds, the public want super squashed face pugs for example, and that could concievably eventually find its way into the show ring and the expectation of what the breed should look like.

That dog is way too heavy though. It almost looks like an old dog. Yikes.

Really? They strike me as being pretty busy! Happy to be corrected though.

They are quite inactive unless there is something to chase or they are young pups. Most prefer to lay around and sun themselves than do anything else.

Most enjoy some form of exercise but they don't usually demand it, it's easy to put weight on them and their diets require careful monitoring just like other breeds.

They aren't usually known for being ravenous pigs but they can be and they will beg for food, dumpster dive and steal.

Agree with you totally Aussie and it's not just Labs, although they seem to be the most extreme. I'm also disappointed with how fat Amstaffs are being shown these days too.

A friend of mine keeps his dogs in fit working condition and other breeders are always commenting that they are too skinny etc on his facebook page.

I agree that labs in the show ring do seem to be getting fatter and carrying more and more weight. But I think show bred labs are also heavier in general.

My old boy born in 2001 was very heavy boned from quality show lines. He was healthy at around 36kgs (as in can still feel all ribs, nice tuck up and muscle tone). The only time he was ever as thin as your lab was when he was literally on deaths door step with IBD. He didn't look nice and fit like her though, he looked like a corpse.

If he dropped below 34kgs he was back at the vet to make sure his IBD wasn't flaring up.

I agree. My Lab would be in serious trouble if he was that thin. He's also a bigger dog with a broad chest.

However the trend of fatter show dogs is an issue across many breeds. Don't get me started on the condition of some Samoyeds, fat doesn't equal good substance! :grimace:

I show gundogs & see them all around & i disagree that show dogs are fat .

There are Labs who are dual purpose (show & worked) .

I also think people don't understand the breed standard where it asks for a barrel chest with well sprung ribs ,chest of good width & depth,you can try & fool people by making them fat but a fat dog is very obvious .

Personally the photo of the OP Lab doesn't show a barrel chest with well sprung rib so its like comparing chalk & cheese .

US Labs can sometimes be lacking leg which this one seems to be .

If you watch the breed video the dog isn't fat but no legs & is in a good coat aswell something lacking in some Labs is correct coat

I agree. My Lab would be in serious trouble if he was that thin. He's also a bigger dog with a broad chest.

However the trend of fatter show dogs is an issue across many breeds. Don't get me started on the condition of some Samoyeds, fat doesn't equal good substance! :grimace:

Yes my boy had a much bigger chest than the OPs lab. Large barrel chested and he also had big boofer of a head on him.

I show gundogs & see them all around & i disagree that show dogs are fat .

There are Labs who are dual purpose (show & worked) .

I also think people don't understand the breed standard where it asks for a barrel chest with well sprung ribs ,chest of good width & depth,you can try & fool people by making them fat but a fat dog is very obvious .

Personally the photo of the OP Lab doesn't show a barrel chest with well sprung rib so its like comparing chalk & cheese .

US Labs can sometimes be lacking leg which this one seems to be .

If you watch the breed video the dog isn't fat but no legs & is in a good coat aswell something lacking in some Labs is correct coat

Agreed I also don't think that people either know or care to understand the standard.

Add to that the fact they are short coupled and expected to be broad through chest, over the loin and hind quarter, you are never going to see the racey look that people are expecting, except in an animal that is not correct.

I know its a whole other argument but it doesn't look fit for purpose or fit for work at all if that is the ideal.

A while ago someone posted a pic of a lab who was all muscle and not an ounce of fat on her, lots of people here were pretty appalled at that too. Interesting stuff

While I don't agree that dogs should be shown fat, taking one photo as an example without knowing the facts is very unfair. It could be a bitch 6 weeks in whelp or one having a serious phantom pregnancy or even an older dog from the veteran class. Dogs get heavier all over with age, even when fit. Does anyone know all these facts about the dog in the photo? A Labrador should have a skeleton that is broader in the shoulders, ribcage and hips than the other retriever breeds and some weight on them would have been needed for their original purpose of retrieving in the freezing water off Newfoundland. So long as you can feel the ribs they are fine and until you have hands on them, you really have no idea what weight they are. I know with Border Collies, you may as well save your energy showing an overweight dog as they will not win but expecting everyone to be in hard working condition is not realistic. Many of us do not have the luxury of enough land to work dogs in and reasonably fit vs working fit does not make one iota of difference to the dog's basic structure and breed type.

I would also ask how well you have all studied the Labrador Breed Standard? Here are some quotes from it:

"Strongly built, short coupled, very active; broad in skull; broad and deep through chest and ribs; broad and strong over loins and hindquarters."

"Chest of good width and depth, with well-sprung barrel ribs (this effect not to be produced by carrying excessive weight). Level topline. Loins wide, short-coupled and strong."

Note the terms BROAD, DEEP, WIDE, BARREL RIBS, STRONG used to describe the breed. They should not have flat sides or be tucked in behind the ribs as the standard asks for wide loins. Honestly without feeling a dog like that you would have no idea if it was fat or not.