Random Thought Of The Day

Leah82

Australian shepherds are often called Aussies

Belgian shepherds are sometimes called Belgians

Why are German shepherds not called Germans?

Discuss...

The person that can come up with the funniest response gets a prize

German Shepherds were not even called German Shepherds in Allied countries during WWII.

No one wanted to be thought of as supporting the enemy by owning a German breed (sadly many many Dachshunds were put down in Britain during the two world wars for this reason frown.gif )

However GSDs were so awesome and useful, putting them down didn't happen. Instead they had a name change so as not to be associated with the enemy. They were called Alsatians.

Australian Shepherds are NOT an Australian breed, but an American one... Before they had ever been heard of over here if you had a dog that was an Aussie, it was the rugged feisty little Australian Terrier.

Sorry..nothing funny about my response - just lots of trivia!!! laugh.gif

GSD simple & to the point & the only term i have heard the folk use even back when i had mine.

Many breeds have nicknames amongst the fanciers & most dog folk now them especially committeee peeps ,makes it easier to GSD are in the ring than the whole word

Because the Huns have never been a slave nation. You can own a Belgian, and many were. Aussies were convicts so you could own one even though no one, especially the English wanted to. Only a Dachs could truly own a dachshund, the English realised that and hence the putting down on suspicion of espionage.

The reason a Springer spaniel doesn't listen to you is because your name is not Springer!

So you cannot own a German. Only a german shepherd can, and he just steps out of his hut and yells "hund". Have you noticed all GSD still speak German.

Edited by hankdog

I think Hankdog is the clear winner, love the creativity :)

Your prize is a picture of my dog... enjoy :D (note he is not a German shepherd, unfortunately I couldn't organise one at such short notice)

DSC01874_zps5b5d1baa.jpg

Because they get shortened to simply, "Shepherd" :)

If you say shepherd most people assume you're talking about a German Shepherd where with the other shepherds you need to get more specific ;)

This! I've recently gotten my first Belgian and having to explain every time that it is not a German Shepherd is getting ridiculous. People only hear Shepherd.

Doesn't help they do look fairly similar in their puppy stages and everybody seems to have grown up with a German Shepherd at some point.

Because they get shortened to simply, "Shepherd" :)

If you say shepherd most people assume you're talking about a German Shepherd where with the other shepherds you need to get more specific ;)

This! I've recently gotten my first Belgian and having to explain every time that it is not a German Shepherd is getting ridiculous. People only hear Shepherd.

Doesn't help they do look fairly similar in their puppy stages and everybody seems to have grown up with a German Shepherd at some point.

Even if they don't look similar ;) when I tell people Reggie is an Aussie Shepherd I often get told it doesn't look like there's much German Shepherd in her.