Lipoma Questions + Diet Change

Ivy had some Lipomas [just fatty cysts] removed late 2012 from her side. A few months after the first operation, they did start to grow back a little. Took her back to the vet and we agreed to wait and see how much they grow back.

She came through the healing process fine, though she was a pest with licking the wound. But I am home 24/7 at the moment.

Roll on now and they've grown back. She does favor that leg a little and from time to time, will have a limp when she runs. But she shows no pain or being stopped by it. I consulted the vet again yesterday and we agreed that a second removal was needed. She is currently booked in Tuesday to have them out.

Am I doing the right thing? Will removing them again make more grow back? Will this be something she'll have for the rest of her life? They are only in the same place.

Ivy is my first ever dog over many moons to have these, so I have no idea on what to expect. I was so upset when I felt them growing back again :(

Edited by english.ivy

If she is limping i would remove- better an anaesthetic and short recovery while they are small rather than waiting until they are huge and much more difficult to remove. They can also become aggressive and grow into the muscle if they do keep growing. Lipoma's act differently so the ones that don't grow and don't impact on the dog I would leave but that is not what your describing.

Also for her general quality of life- limping means that she is uncomfortable and her function is limited by the lipoma so I think it is a good decision to remove.

If she is limping i would remove- better an anesthetic and short recovery while they are small rather than waiting until they are huge and much more difficult to remove. They can also become aggressive and grow into the muscle if they do keep growing. Lipoma's act differently so the ones that don't grow and don't impact on the dog I would leave but that is not what your describing.

Also for her general quality of life- limping means that she is uncomfortable and her function is limited by the lipoma so I think it is a good decision to remove.

Thanks. I think that is what is bothering me more, that she has a limp from it. So difficult but she has come through two anesthetics in the past with no issues and if more do end up coming back, she's going to keep them within reason. I really like our vet and he is always on call 24/7 after any big surgery and always free of charge. I had him meet me at the clinic last time on a Sunday for more pain medication and he was more than happy to do so.

[i really like our vet and he is always on call 24/7 after any big surgery and always free of charge. I had him meet me at the clinic last time on a Sunday for more pain medication and he was more than happy to do so.

Who is your vet? Just curious!

I agree that if the lipoma causes discomfort, it should be removed. How old is Ivy?

[i really like our vet and he is always on call 24/7 after any big surgery and always free of charge. I had him meet me at the clinic last time on a Sunday for more pain medication and he was more than happy to do so.

Who is your vet? Just curious!

I agree that if the lipoma causes discomfort, it should be removed. How old is Ivy?

She is turning 6 on July 13th. She is middle age I guess? So I don't think I should be waiting too much longer anyway. I'm still in two minds about tomorrow, just me being extremely anxious. But then I am constantly anxious about the lump being there.

Ocean Keys Vet, up in Clarkson :) Not too far from me thankfully.

I took her for a warm hydro bath this morning and we went out for morning tea. The area looks huge when she's wet. Her fur covers it up till you pat her.

eta - photo from this morning

post-51081-0-34673800-1403503767_thumb.jpg

Edited by english.ivy

If its causing discomfort, better to have it removed while it's small. I think you've made the right choice.

My dog had a large one removed, though it caused him no discomfort, it would have been better to operate on earlier. The size makes the healing process a bit messy. Drains placed and higher risk of infection will that empty pocket and loose skin.

Plenty of geriatric oldies have annual anaesthetics (for dentals typically and lump removals) and pull up great so long as they are managed well. And the risk of anaesthesia was weighed up against their quality of life and it was easy to see that it wasn't just a cosmetic procedure and there are real benefits. I think its the same in your case- your not doing it for cosmetic benefit your doing it to improve and maintain her quality of life.

Ivy is practically a spring chicken compared to the 17yr old boy who I got to help our with a few months ago.

ETA- she is gorgeous!

Edited by Jumabaar

Plenty of geriatric oldies have annual anaesthetics (for dentals typically and lump removals) and pull up great so long as they are managed well. And the risk of anaesthesia was weighed up against their quality of life and it was easy to see that it wasn't just a cosmetic procedure and there are real benefits. I think its the same in your case- your not doing it for cosmetic benefit your doing it to improve and maintain her quality of life.

Ivy is practically a spring chicken compared to the 17yr old boy who I got to help our with a few months ago.

ETA- she is gorgeous!

Just what I need to hear ... thank you so much!

We are all set for tomorrow mornings 9am drop off.

So I'm planning on changing Ivy over to Ziwi Peak [just her] after her tummy is better from today's operation. My gut tells me that processed dry food, which she has been on since 13 weeks isn't suitable for her.

Does anyone know of who has changed their dogs diet after Lipoma surgery? I am going to see how much it costs to have the lumps tested this time, for peace of mind.

Ivory means to entire world to me :heart:

No advice re the lipomas. But I fed Ziwipeak- the dogs loved it and looked great!

Just wanted to wish you luck and hope all goes well today. She is gorgeous :heart:

Thank you :) The place where I buy fresh roo meat sells Ziwipeak. So it is easy to get. Just about to do a little reading about diet and lipomas.

If she is limping i would remove- better an anaesthetic and short recovery while they are small rather than waiting until they are huge and much more difficult to remove. They can also become aggressive and grow into the muscle if they do keep growing. Lipoma's act differently so the ones that don't grow and don't impact on the dog I would leave but that is not what your describing.

I agree with this.

We had some lipomas removed from my old lab, but it was only because he had one growing near a joint (which can impede movement) and while he was out they removed a few smaller ones too. He also had some more removed when he had a cyst grow on his eyelid that needed removing.

If he didn't have the two in places that could cause issues the vet would of left them smile.gif

If the vet hasn't already it's worth getting a tissue sample from them too just to rule out any nasties.

She's still a youngster at 6. Casper had surgery at 12 and I was hard pressed to keep him calm the few days following surgery. You have done the right thing even though you've probably been stressing since the moment you dropped her off this morning! Have you heard from your vet? Has he done the surgery?

Thanks for telling me who your vet is. He's a little far for me but it's good to know he's there in case mine decides to retire or something...as it is he only works mornings and I have to take time off work to see him. But I do trust him with Casper's life so he'd better stick around...

I have only just seen this EI, but I wanted to wish both you & Ivy well.

My Groenendael was at the vet last week for a FNA of a lump in an identical position to Ivy's - or so it sounds! Marles had a lump come up very quickly behind her left elbow which extends into her armpit. I had noticed she was stepping a bit short prior to finding the lump but apparently they can be painful when they grow so large as to burst through the muscle fascia. Like you, my heart sank when I first discovered the lump, it is a couple of years since we lost our Shep x to osteosarcoma, but it is still raw!

The FNA thankfully came up as a lipoma so I am leaving it a couple of weeks to see if the unevenness in gait resolves, otherwise we will bring forward the extraction of a molar with a slab fracture, so that the two procedures - removal of tooth & lipoma, can be done at once.

Incidentally my girl has been fed raw since the time I have had her (9 years - she is 10 in November :eek:how time goes by! ) so I would be interested to see if diet does in fact have any bearing on lipomas.

Edited by trifecta

My old girl Zeddy is nearly 15 - she has a few small lipomas and fibromas, none seem to be getting larger as yet... she's also stepped up the skin tag production... *grin*

She's been fed all types of kibble over the years - both cheap supermarket stuff and the more expensive premium kibble - only started getting the old dog lumps and bumps a couple of years ago. Still has all bar one tooth that got knocked out in a fight, and they are in good nick. Eyesight and hearing loss are minimal so far too. I'm so lucky with my sturdy old girl.

Her only real medical issue is a bit of arthritis, and so far this year (even with the recent cold snap) she hasn't needed any medication to assist with that. I think making sure her bedroom is warm and she has a nice snuggly beddy is working it's charm there so far - last year she required Meloxicam through winter even though it wasn't all that cold compared to our current nippy mornings.

Zeddy's vet reckons that she'd sail through surgery if she needed it - she's a very healthy specimen for an old duck he reckons!

T.

Spoke to the vet around 2:30pm and it was done but turned out to be a big operation ... 90 mins! She was in a kennel on a drip and I can either leave her over night or come about 5/6pm.

One of the lumps near her elbow [i think] was pretty hard and had a vein through it, so he couldn't remove all of it. Said 90% is gone.

I'm in the process of setting up a make-shift crate for her and will head to the vets just after 5pm and get more info. If I leave her over night, I'll decide that there and see what the vet wants to do.

Just gone 4pm now ...