Warning To Coffee Drinkers

Oh how terribly sad :( I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing - I had no idea of the danger let alone how severe it could be. We have a lot of coffee in this house I will definitely be extra vigilant from now on.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, thank you all so much *hugs*

The other dog is doing well. We are making sure that he is drinking a lot of water and peeing, to keep flushing his system. He obviously didn't get as much (the big guy was a gobble-guts) and vomited most of them out at the vets.

The house is so quiet :( We explained to our other boy last night, that his brother wasn't coming back anymore. I'm just so glad that there is a community like this, where everyone knows exactly what you are going through. I've met some of the most wonderful people on here over the years. Some that I met when I first joined and still talk to every day, even though we'll never meet. I have been reading every reply...you are all so wonderful *hugs*

And yeah, coffee grounds. When the boys came in, the vet even had to go online to find out how to deal with it and with what and at how much dosage. We have house guests this weekend, it being Canada Day weekend, so we've asked them to take all the coffee in our house with them when they leave today. We are not big coffee drinkers, and usually only have it on hand for guests. We all know about chocolate, but never even thought about the caffeine in coffee! And I am okay with sharing my story, if anyone else would like to share it around.

We're trying not to beat ourselves up. It's just so hard when we think about how careful we always try to be! When we first bought this house, we took photos of every plant in the gardens and researched what ones were safe, and pulled the ones that weren't. When we were making the planters for our patio, and deciding which flowers to plant, we made up a list of the safe ones and went to every nursery in town. We try to only use natural pest control and the other non-safe are locked in a cabinet in the shed. Our garbage is usually hidden in another room...I know, I know, thinking these things will only drive us insane :(

Edited by madredeperros

:cry: So very, very sorry to read this - but I too wanted to thank you for sharing your tragic story. I am just going to share the warning on some dog groups I belong to. It's highly possible that although you sadly couldn't save your big guy, your story may well save many other dogs. Cyber hugs to you both and to your other dog, who will be feeling pretty lost too. (I had a similar experience losing a dog to an accidental poisoniing to a neurotoxin - but with a different toxin - and you are right - this is an amazingly supportive community.)

ETF typo

Edited by Tassie

Thank you!

Our other dog is definitely feeling it :( He's a lot quieter and has been carrying his tail pretty low whereas, normally, he's a very happy-go-lucky, Teddy bear of an ACD. I'm still seeing a few signs of the toxicity lingering in him, too. Every once in a while he gets a little wobbly in the hind-end or he kicks out his right-hind like a cat would with a piece of tape on its paw. Tonight, it being Canada Day, we took him with us to my BF's pub and we sat on the patio with all of our friends. They all spoiled him, and by the end, his tail was starting to wag. Now that we're back home, he's quiet again, but I know that it will just have to take time. We're thinking that on the nights that my BF works and I'm not closing up the shop, I will walk down with him to just sit and be fawned over.

I am so glad to hear how many people are sharing our big guy's story. The Dobe didn't deserve what he had to go through, but if this can help other dogs...not that it will ease the pain, but it will help to know that someone else isn't watching their beloved pet slowly lose their life. Even tonight, I didn't care how I sounded, but I was telling everyone that I saw walk by with a dog, just what can happen.

Tomorrow they are sending him off to be cremated and we are sending his favourite sweater, his favourite toy, and the ACD's favourite toy to be cremated with him. We miss him so much :(

But on to the good memories! Thank you all again!

<3

Edited by madredeperros

Guest donatella

Oh gosh I'm so very sorry for this freak devastating accident. I kept reading for good news and so sad it ended this way :(