Croc Attack

kelpiecuddles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right? The croc grabbed a piece of meat before he was supposed to and the guy reached into his mouth to retrieve it?

Oh goddamm...

In the guys defence however, he has worked with them for years. You can get to know an animal pretty well and be able to take certain risks. In his case, sometimes knowing an animal well makes you forget they can always throw in something different...

But still... um, nooooooo!

Honestly I think he's feeling just a little bit silly about it. You interpreted correctly.

I think what you said about getting just a little too comfortable is spot on. He's always been pretty brazen about the way he did those shows, it's part of the theatrics that makes him such a good presenter but it comes with risks of course.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Is it possible the croc thought it was grabbing its chunk of meat back when it grabbed the guy's hand? Just thinking of when I've been accidentally grabbed by my dog. She let go immediately though!

Wow! That would have been pretty frightening, for everyone involved including the audience. Thank goodness he was able to get away. :eek:

Have to say though, there is no way I'd be sticking my hand in a croc's mouth! But you are right, he probably didn't even think about what he was doing and just reached for it. Bet he will be more careful now.

Is it possible the croc thought it was grabbing its chunk of meat back when it grabbed the guy's hand? Just thinking of when I've been accidentally grabbed by my dog. She let go immediately though!

I suspect not Mochi because the croc then dragged him into the water. It must have been terrifying for the people in the audience.

Crocs don't think the same way dogs do. They won't snap at something unless they think it is actually food and it's within grabbing distance. We could demonstrate this by moving a stick around near their face or throwing food around above their heads and they won't even attempt to grab it but if you bounce that bit of food in the direction of their mouth, snap, it's gone. If they try for something once and fail chances are they won't try again for a long while as they will deem it to be a waste of precious energy for no gain, as such they will always go for the easy prey item that they can grab with the least expenditure of energy. In that moment Trent was easy meat(which is what they call it in the show there) and the croc took his opportunity. I've had the smaller female have a shot at me and even she was pretty scary and there was a fence between us(although if I hadn't moved from my position she would have grabbed my arm), Johns got around a meter of length on her. I really feel for Trent, it would have been a terrifying experience.

The worrying thing about this is that croc learn from experiences like this and it makes it more likely to try again next time so they'll have to tread carefully the next few weeks.

ETA: I have spoken to a family friend of his who tells me it's looking like no serious damage, just some stitches, all fingers good and working by the looks.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

This is a wild animal though, I doubt he cares whether he ears meat or human hand...

This is a wild animal though, I doubt he cares whether he ears meat or human hand...

a human hand IS meat. I would think that reptilian brain just views anything with a heartbeat as potential food.

Crocs don't think the same way dogs do. They won't snap at something unless they think it is actually food and it's within grabbing distance. We could demonstrate this by moving a stick around near their face or throwing food around above their heads and they won't even attempt to grab it but if you bounce that bit of food in the direction of their mouth, snap, it's gone. If they try for something once and fail chances are they won't try again for a long while as they will deem it to be a waste of precious energy for no gain, as such they will always go for the easy prey item that they can grab with the least expenditure of energy. In that moment Trent was easy meat(which is what they call it in the show there) and the croc took his opportunity. I've had the smaller female have a shot at me and even she was pretty scary and there was a fence between us(although if I hadn't moved from my position she would have grabbed my arm), Johns got around a meter of length on her. I really feel for Trent, it would have been a terrifying experience.

The worrying thing about this is that croc learn from experiences like this and it makes it more likely to try again next time so they'll have to tread carefully the next few weeks.

ETA: I have spoken to a family friend of his who tells me it's looking like no serious damage, just some stitches, all fingers good and working by the looks.

They stated on their facebook page he's going for surgery today.

John certainly won't be punished. He's a much loved croc and it's generally accepted that if you hope in an enclosure with a dangerous animal you stand a chance of getting hurt. I always said I was happy to assist in those shows and I'd be OK doing a show with venomous snakes but I drew the line at presented the croc show.

Information from the inside word is that he has gone for surgery but it's still just a stitches job, it's surgery to put things together nicely as I understand it, functionality is still good. :) (Plus clean things out I imagine, croc have some nasty germs in their mouths)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

There is a video here of the actual moment that Trent got grabbed and dragged in to the water. If you don't have a good stomach maybe don't watch but it's pretty amazing how well Trent handled the whole thing, getting out of the water and telling the crowd he was OK and to calm down!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/24414152/moment-croc-attacked-handler/