Dog Baiter Arrested And Charged Act - Updated 13aug14

j

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-arrested-for-dogbaiting-pooch-with-poison-meatballs-20140707-zsyj3.html

Bonner man arrested for dog-baiting pooch with poison meatballs

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-arrested-for-dogbaiting-pooch-with-poison-meatballs-20140707-zsyj3.html#ixzz36qMnFkfg

A 42-year-old man Bonner man has been arrested after trying to poison dogs with meatballs laced with Ratsak poison.

Police say the man was seen walking past the rear entrance of a Bonner residence around 6pm on Friday before removing a number of meatballs from a plastic bag and throwing them into the backyard.

The owner of the residence noticed her dog sniffing one of the meatballs and saw multiple meatballs scattered throughout the backyard.

The dog did not consume any of the meatballs and was unharmed.

The meatballs were seized by officers and taken to a forensic lab for analysis.

The Bonner man was arrested a short time later while walking up an adjacent street.

He was charged with leaving poison for a domestic animal and taken to the ACT Watch House.

He will appear before the ACT Magistrates Court on July 25.

A separate incident of dog baiting believed to have occurred on June 17 was reported to the Gungahlin Police Station around 8.50pm on Friday night.

Police are urging anyone with information related to dog-baiting incidents to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Under the Crimes ACT 1900, anyone who leaves poison that endangers or is unlikely to endanger the life of a domestic animal faces a maximum penalty of $1000 and imprisonment for 6 months.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-arrested-for-dogbaiting-pooch-with-poison-meatballs-20140707-zsyj3.html#ixzz36qMdip2j

Updated - has appeared in court and indicated he would plead guilty

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-accused-of-baiting-dog-with-poisoned-meatballs-faces-act-court-20140725-zwpxt.html

A man accused of scattering poison-laced meatballs in a northside backyard to bait a pet dog has made a brief appearance in court.

Frank Pavlovic, 42, faced one charge of laying poison for a domestic animal in the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday morning.

Witnesses saw the accused take the meatballs, believed to contain Ratsak poison, out of a plastic bag and throw them into the backyard of a Bonner house on the evening of July 4, police said.

The home's owner later saw her pet dog sniff a meatball near the back step and discovered more strewn throughout the yard.

Police said the dog did not eat any of the meatballs and was not harmed.

The meatballs were sent to the Australian Federal Police for forensic tests.

Mr Pavlovic, of Bonner, was arrested that same night after he was spotted walking along a nearby street.

He wore jeans and a black, long-sleeved t-shirt during his court appearance and spoke briefly with his lawyer.

The matter was adjourned, but a solicitor for the accused indicated he would plead guilty at a later date.

He faces a maximum penalty of a $1000 fine and six-month jail term.

Mr Pavolovic will next face court on August 13.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-accused-of-baiting-dog-with-poisoned-meatballs-faces-act-court-20140725-zwpxt.html#ixzz38S8oGU9b

A Bonner man who tried to bait a neighbour's dog with poison-laced meatballs because the animal "always barked" at him has avoided time behind bars.

Frank Pavlovic, 42, pleaded guilty to laying poison for a domestic animal in the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The dog's owner saw her pet sniff at several meatballs which had been scattered throughout her Bonner backyard on the evening of July 4.

Witnesses had seen Pavlovic throw the meatballs over the fence and the owners later saw him walking up a nearby street.

When confronted by the owners, Pavlovic told them: "your dog is always barking at me, your dog is always barking at me. I want to make him sick."

The court heard Pavlovic often heard the dog bark at him through a fence during his daily walk around the northside neighbourhood.

The shift worker also often heard the dog bark during the day as he tried to sleep.

Pavlovic got the idea to bait the dog when he overheard strangers at his local shops speak about feeding dogs Ratsak poison to make them stop barking.

He was drinking and cooking some meatballs one night when he came up with the plan to lace them with Ratsak and feed them to the dog.

From the witness box, Pavlovic told the court he was aware Ratsak was used for rodent control but only intended to make the dog sick for a few days so it would stop barking.

He said there was "only a pinchful, three or four granules" in the meatball mixture.

"It was just on the spur of the moment, I wasn't thinking properly," he said.

He said he thought afterwards the poison "possibly might kill" the dog, but that wasn't his intention.

Pavlovic's defence lawyer said his client only wanted to cause the dog some discomfort.

Pavlovic, a government security guard who spent 11 years in the Navy, had been stood down from his job for several weeks.

He had a potential alcohol problem and had been treated for anxiety.

Prosecutors said the offence was serious as it could have resulted in the death of the animal.

Magistrate Peter Morrison did not accept Pavlovic had not meant to kill the dog.

Mr Morrison said Pavlovic's early guilty plea showed some remorse, but the nature of the offence called for a strong message of general deterrence.

"The behaviour was abhorrent to all reasonable people, whether animal lovers or not."

He said there was an obvious risk the poison would cause more than discomfort.

Mr Morrison said the offence didn't warrant a jail term, but he ordered Pavlovic pay a $900 fine.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/man-who-tried-to-poison-dog-with-meatballs-avoids-jail-20140813-103jfq.html#ixzz3AGlPYYqm

Edited by j

Under the Crimes ACT 1900, anyone who leaves poison that endangers or is unlikely to endanger the life of a domestic animal faces a maximum penalty of $1000 and imprisonment for 6 months.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bonner-man-arrested-for-dogbaiting-pooch-with-poison-meatballs-20140707-zsyj3.html#ixzz36qMdip2j

Not long enough.

Not long enough.

They've quoted the wrong Legislation. It should be the Animal Welfare Act 1992 and below is the relevant section. A penalty unit is currently $140, so $14,000 maximum fine

12A

Laying poison

R21 07/03/14

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4) (5)

A person commits an offence if the person lays a poison with the intention of killing or injuring a domestic or native animal.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units, imprisonment for 1 year or both.

A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person lays a poison; and

(b) the person is reckless about causing the death of, or injury to, a domestic or native animal; and

© the poison causes the death of, or injury to, a domestic or native animal.

Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units, imprisonment for 6 months or both.

A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person lays a poison; and

(b) there is a reasonable likelihood that the poison will kill or injure a domestic or native animal.

Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units.

An offence against subsection (3) is a strict liability offence.

It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (3) if the defendant proves that the defendant took all reasonable steps to avoid death or injury to domestic and native animals.

• 3 weeks later...

First post edited - has appeared in court and indicated he would plead guilty

I would PRAY in the name of Dog that this creep gets a fitting sentence/fine.

I am going to be aghast if a mere slap on the wrist result happens.

May the Magistrate have a set and apply the law.

:mad

Ya know what LG the bastards would probably get off on it :mad . I'm thinking some sort of drug could be injected in to them that causes 24 hours of intense pain and vomiting.

Let him be given oral substances that cause crippling pains

:mad

Not long enough.

Exactly what I thought. There are names for people like this that a decent person would have to place exclamation marks and asterisks in if they were to post it. :mad This kind of thing make me SO furious. I agree with people who are saying let them suffer. I say feed him meatballs with ratsak in. Let him see for himself how it feels to bleed out. :mad

Not long enough.

Exactly what I thought. There are names for people like this that a decent person would have to place exclamation marks and asterisks in if they were to post it. :mad This kind of thing make me SO furious. I agree with people who are saying let them suffer. I say feed him meatballs with ratsak in. Let him see for himself how it feels to bleed out. :mad

AGREED!

• 2 weeks later...
Magistrate Peter Morrison did not accept Pavlovic had not meant to kill the dog.

Mr Morrison said Pavlovic's early guilty plea showed some remorse, but the nature of the offence called for a strong message of general deterrence.

"The behaviour was abhorrent to all reasonable people, whether animal lovers or not."

He said there was an obvious risk the poison would cause more than discomfort.

Mr Morrison said the offence didn't warrant a jail term, but he ordered Pavlovic pay a $900 fine.

I'm wondering if the magistrate would have felt the same way about no jail time if it had been his dog or his child's dog...

He's let the nut job go free. Effectively saying its ok to poison dogs. ARGH.