Help Please - Anxious Dog With No Off Switch

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I can see it's in there trying to ping out Kirty ... he gets the fidgets, then looks around and no ones playing to it then kind of gives in. I can see exactly what's going on in that little head of his and if he was just left to his own devices he would regress very quickly. Crate trainings going well but he's acting like he's dying when he's in it moaning and groaning, pressing himself in the corner like a pretzel *sigh* He's actually free ranged at night and goes straight to sleep so thumbs up on that one the Mals wont let him get up to mischief.

• 2 weeks later...

Goes in a crate no problems now

no pacing at all or fence running when allowed loose in the yard

mowed over 1000m2 with him off lead and if he did show interest in the lawnmower he was called off with no effort

Recalled from about 30m off lead when he tried to run at a car moving in the property next door, turned and came straight back

Sleeps wherever he wants at night and sleeps all night. Discovered bats fly over our house so he had a bit of a woof at them but that's OK they freak every dog out

Will now play tug of war with you for short periods and will play tug with the dogs with soft ropes, starting to pick up the big rubber treat balls to just muck around with but I can see he's still a bit lost.

Just going to work on birds (he will chase those like a rocket) walking out in public, more obedience as we havn't done a lot so he can ease himself into the new world order lol. And he's a massive counter surfer so we're working on that too :) All round believe it or not he's been a very easy dog to live with (Yes, yes Kirty will shoot me for saying that)

It does help having another 6 dogs to do most of the work lol. The humping when the other dogs are running around is pretty much gone and when I'm home he's either laying where I am or just mooching around doing his own thing.

I have found keeping this dog full of food really helps!

Rocky sounds like he is going really well Nekhbet :thumbsup: Great news...

thanks for the update. Sounds very promising. He may be able to be rehomed after all which would be wonderful after his bloody terrible start in life.

I have never had a counter surfer thankfully but I most certainly have a massive bird/mower/scooter pretty much anything that moves besides cars chaser that I have to constantly monitor. Stella puts a whole new meaning to the word fast. She is so quick & alert all the time. She makes it very hard for me to stay one step ahead of her.

If anyone is wanting to come and meet him to adopt contact me :D I had a couple look at him yesterday they say he's just the most chilled out dog they've seen in a long time lol

He will come with a list of provisions though because although he's improved I don't want him to regress because he's just left to do nothing in a backyard alone. He's had enough of that in his life he needs someone who will maintain the work we've done and just keep him improving.

Edited by Nekhbet

• 4 weeks later...

Guess who has almost finished his home trial without a hitch ;)

He has another border collie to live with and an owner who is mostly home, lovely big backyard, dog door and more attention then he knows what to do with.

Yaaaaa! Go Rocky....

Thanks for that wonderful update Nekhbet.

And for helping dear Rocky. He must be so much happier now in a loving environment. He even has a friend of his own kind to keep him company. Fantastic!

Agree with LG. Best story on DOL this year.

Certainly made my day????

Guess who has almost finished his home trial without a hitch ;)

He has another border collie to live with and an owner who is mostly home, lovely big backyard, dog door and more attention then he knows what to do with.

How lovely for Rocky, such a great outcome! :cheer: