Medical Pet Shirts

Airedaler

I think it would depend how determined they are to get to their wound.

It would have been great for my girl after she was desexed as she had some clipper rash on her tummy that she kept scratching at with her back foot. I ended up taping socks to her back feet that I had to take on and off for her to go outside. Clipping on the body suit would have been much quicker.

For some it wouldn't be enough protection or if they licked the material over the wound site. I could even see it as an option for when owners are home and can supervise how their pet reacts.

here we are....

Straight from the Husky's mouth via his loverly Daddy..

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/258938-post-surgery-exercise/

http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/index.php/en/medical-pet-shirts-en

Hope this helps.

:)

Thanks VM. I'm not in need of one at this stage but thought they would be an interesting option in some cases (particularly the leg one) and do look far more comfortable or confronting than the cone of shame.

:) something else for a dog to chew instead of stitches! yay!! :p

Ok in Winter - but would be very warm in Summer - and obviously not ideal to leave on unsupervised.

I'll stick with a muzzle /collar , I think :) wouldn't stitches get 'caught' on the fabric and itch/sting?

I'm also unsure of their help with 'skin conditions'? being warm, and rubbing over hair(esp if it is inflamed or broken off) , and irritated skin sounds uncomfortable to me,anyway...

I've was going to make something similar last year for one of the rescue pei with skin issues. I'd bought some lightweight, slightly stretchy fabric that is wicking and anti-bacterial (the kind they make sporting t-shirts out of). So it suits hot and cold climates. The aim for wearing it is to allow the skin to heal without it being scratched and having more wounds created, so while it might feel a tad weird, you would hope it is a short term thing and once their skin starts to settle it would all be feeling a whole lot better. I can imagine it also being useful for dogs with stitches during the night time. You put them to bed with it on and hopefully they don't get up to any mischief while you sleep!

Ok in Winter - but would be very warm in Summer - and obviously not ideal to leave on unsupervised.

I'll stick with a muzzle /collar , I think :) wouldn't stitches get 'caught' on the fabric and itch/sting?

I'm also unsure of their help with 'skin conditions'? being warm, and rubbing over hair(esp if it is inflamed or broken off) , and irritated skin sounds uncomfortable to me,anyway...

I'd never leave a muzzle on mine unsupervised.

They look like a great idea. When Maddie was attacked it was in a spot on her shoulder that was hard to cover but easy for her to lick at so I got her a couple on kids onsies and did the press duds up along her back. Worked a treat, one wound was stitched and one was open and it didn't rub or catch on either. She only wore it at night or when I went out, when I was home I just put the bitter liquid around the wounds. I've never used a cone on any of my dogs :shrug:

post-38965-0-21984400-1408247367_thumb.jpg

I did something similar recently for Ivy who has major surgery.

I put t-shirts on her, which were skin tight and cut sections so she still had full movement of her head and shoulders but she wouldn't touch the wound. They also helped to keep her relaxed during a difficult recovery.

Her head went through the head section and her two front legs went through the arm holes.

They are absolutely brilliant! Not only do they protect the wound but they also can have the same calming aspect as with a thunder shirt . I was worried that it might be a problem getting Ronin to wear one but I was pleasantly surprised. The opening for the tail is great and being able to easily unclip the back (fastens with velcro and push studs on the top) and roll it up so the dog can go to the toilet is a major bonus.

I was recommended them by a bunch of European husky owners as the shirts are very popular over there, and I am sure it won't be long before they are the number one solution over here.

At around $26 I would recommend getting 2, just incase you have an accident.

Here is a link showing my boy in his

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/258938-post-surgery-exercise/

Actually it has cotton/lycra lining. Dutch friend of mine who breeds Wire hair & Smooth Vizslas trialled it for 2 years.

Here's a URL to give some other pov

http://www.dfordog.co.uk/medical-pet-shirts.html