How Old Is/was Your Oldest Dog?

Blackdogs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first 2 border collies both lived to 15.5 years old. Whilst they both came from breeders and had very flash pedigrees both breeders were what would be called backyard breeders now. Neither showed and both bred from their bitches as a nice experience. However both were mentored by one of the best breeders of border collies in Victoria (Margaret Garriock).

I fed Supercoat & Natures gift in the beginning. Moved to BARF and then did a mixture of raw & dry. I was much more relaxed in general with these 2 dogs!!

Moss never went to the vets apart from for injections. He had an amazing nature. He used to sit up on his back legs in a begging type position so you could rub his tummy. He did this to everyone! He went grey around his face quite early on. This is him at 15.5yo

post-10280-0-25062500-1409270856_thumb.jpg

Fern was my special heart dog. She was totally devoted to me. I had a litter of puppies from her and did obedience. She snapped a ligament at about 3yo and it never healed properly which stopped our obedience career. She also broke a leg. Apart from that she was never sick. Fern at 15.5 looking after a baby Amber.

post-10280-0-34290400-1409270903_thumb.jpg

We lost Kodie at 14 1/2 not long ago. Kodie is a GSD type (BYB) who is my stepson's dog. Kodie came to live with us at 10 years of age, though lived with Stepson's mother up until then (Stepson leaving for university and mother didn't want the dog....). He had been mostly an outside dog till then and was chained usually when not with Stepson as he was deemed a 'stock chaser'. Not sure about his diet (I am guessing reasonable but mainly supermarket brand with the odd bone etc) he was raw fed from the time he arrived at our place and we saw a marked improvement in teeth, condition and coat. When he came to live with us he learnt how to be an inside dog (which he took to with relish!) and learnt how to live with other animals (cats, chickens etc). We also discovered he had a strong herding instinct and could keep a flock of goats 'penned' as long as you would let him. He had some mild arthritis which was held at bay with NSAID's in his later years. He was losing sight and hearing a little. A couple of years ago he had an episode of vestibular disease, but fully recovered with only a very tiny head tilt when he was tired. It was slow degeneration mostly but he was still reasonably agile till the end when he simply lay down and did not wake up. I have a page for him on my website here: http://www.espinay.com/kodie

My next oldest was my Dalmatian 'Cookie' who passed away at 13. She was generally healthy and active all her life up until the end. Rawfed from 8 weeks. Her page is here: http://www.espinay.com/cookie

Edited by espinay2

My oldest was my dear Eddie, SBT, 14.5 years young. He was such a laid back dog and just loved to be with his humans. He loved to swim and chase balls too. When he was about 8 we moved to our 20 acre property and he had the time of his life. We called the dam the dogs own private aqua therapy pool :) He swam pretty much all year long, never mind how cold it was! He taught our female staffy to swim, as she hated it, but couldn't let Eddie have the ball all the time.

He went grey around the face when he was about 8 years, and started losing hearing and eyesight probably when he was about 12. He also had injured his back sometime as well and had arthritis. He was an inside dog when we were home and had a purpose built kennel for outside use whenever he wanted. But his favourite place was the car, if the gates were open and a car door was open, he'd be gone and I'd find him in the back seat asleep.

He was fed VIP dog roll and Supercoat dry, table scraps, eggs, sardines and the occasional bit of pizza. Had his vaccinations when required. Hardly never was sick. We knew the time was coming, he had developed dementia and was getting slower and having more trouble moving around. I woke up one morning to find he could barely stand and knew it was time. Over 12 months later I sit here crying, I loved that dog.

My girl that lived with Ed all this time made it to 10 years. She eventually succumbed to mast cell tumours. Maggie was my heart dog and she is with me every day. I could rave on about her for hours and still talk about her to anyone that will listen. Too many tears now, so will end with a pic :heart:

post-51366-0-45621400-1409283767_thumb.jpeg

post-51366-0-37225900-1409283796_thumb.jpg

Our first Doberman lived to 12, she was blind, deaf and incontinent at that point and was put to sleep. She was fed mostly dogroll I believe. She was spayed at about 4 years old.

Our GSD was 13 when he was put to sleep, he didn't look very old but his hindquarters gave up on him in the end. He was entire and mostly fed dogroll.

We lost two doberman at the age of eight - neither of them looked old :(

Cricket was spayed at the age of 4, we lost her to mammary cancer. She was incontinent within 6 months of being spayed.

Poppy was spayed at 6 months, she had liver failure. No other health problems at that stage.

Both were fed cheap kibble, dogroll and homecooked food.

My grandparents recently lost their JRT at 22! He was a little younger than me :)

• 1 month later...

My oldest was Penny, a whippet who only passed away, well, I had to have her put down, just around 9 weeks ago. She was 15 years and 3 months old. Whippets aren't really a very long lived breed IMO. Yes I hear of a few who get to 17 or so, but it's not common. I find most go between 12-14ish years. For a small dog I'd expect them to live longer than they do.

Penny was a naturally healthy dog I think. The only commercial food she got was a small amount of dry in the morning but most of her food was home cooked and raw. Lots of bones,fresh fruit, veggies and plants (which she would source). Only near the end of her life did her teeth start to get a tartar build up, and it wasn't much. She never needed a dental and her 2 sons are exactly the same, they've just turned 10 and their teeth are pristine white, like wolves teeth.

My childhood dog lived to 16+ before she was given her wings. She was part Kelpie, part whippet\greyhound and a wonderfully good natured dog. She was fed supermarket food, dinner scraps and probably random bones but she could run like the wind and caught rabbits at various times which she ate too. She had this knack of turning sideways while running full pelt after a rabbit and flying through paddock fences at an angle so she didn't get slowed down. This thread has bought back wonderful memories of her so thank you :)

Family members have had various terriers since then but my next dog was a purebred Bullmastiff who was on raw most of her life and healthy until eight when she got a brain tumor and had to be given her wings. :(

I now have a Frenchie who is only young but seems to be getting some greys around her muzzle. :eek: She's on raw and has no health problems so I can only hope this helps give her as long a life as possible. The years have gone way too quickly when I look back at dogs which have been in my life!

19! That's awesome :thumbsup: Go Sue :D

Speaking of nails, Nelsson is 15 but I have been amazed at how quickly his nails grow. I'm sure they never used to grow that quickly. (I know, less exercise and not wearing down but even when he goes to the kennels his nails have never worn down and have needed to be cut)

It's the tooth that gets me every time.

She belonged to an old bloke and we used to mind her when he went to hospital. One day he never came home. His daughter asked if Sue could stay.

She had a role of honour at his funeral, as Mr Bojangles blared across the cemetery. Never saw old Maurie dance though. laugh.gif