Soft Crate Quick Question

brightstar123

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a soft crate for my crate-trained small lab. It's only for sleeping in at home overnight and she's not a chewer/destroyer :)

Right now she has a huge cave-like sky kennel that she really likes (feels secure), but I'm sick of it taking up half my lounge room lol. I want something I can fold up and put away as needed. Much as I like the look of the K9+ soft crates, I just don't have $185 to spare right now, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend one of the cheaper ones?

Any recommendations for crate pads/bedding also welcome, she has vet bed right now but I'd like something a bit more padded but not too pricey and easy to wash. Also how easy are soft crates to clean? Thanks!

Sorry, I can't recommend any cheap ones. My only experience with cheap ones, which I have won, not bought, they have fallen to bits after a couple of years, if that. But I have two K9 Crates, the oldest of which is 6 years old & it is still going strong :thumbsup: Plus they are made in Australia :) If you are just after a cheapie, then just remember "that poor man pays twice" .

I would highly recommend the K9+ soft crates. I have had two other brands and the framework does not last very long, especially if you are putting up and packing up regularly. I also like the ventilation options with the K9+ soft crates compared to other brands.

For bedding the snooza beds are great. Cool in summer and warm in winter. The covers come off and the entire bed is washable.

Thanks for the recommendations guys :thanks:

Soft styled crates are easy to keep clean.

The waterproofing is on the inside so typically any drool or soiling of the crate can be easily wiped out with a damp cloth. For freshening every so often you can wipe the inside of the crate skin with some diluted white vinegar or a disinfectant wipe. Alternatively you can give the inside a quick spray over with a disinfectant freshening spray. None of these products will negatively impact the dog and a good idea to allow it to dry out and air before allowing the dog access again.

Keep bedding clean and do not pack the crate away unless the inside is completely dry.

If a more thorough cleaning of the skin is required you can remove the entire skin from the frame very easily and give it a gentle hand wash, concentrating on any soiled areas. A toothbrush or nail brush can be used for problem areas if required.

When refitting the skin to the frame, you may be required to go through the bedding in process again as if new.

I will say that though we conduct many experiments with our crates to ensure we know exactly what they can endure, in all the years I have been using our crates I have never had to remove a skin for cleaning. A wipe with a damp cloth is all mine have ever needed and even then only 2 or 3 times a year... and those that know me know I am a clean freak LOL.

Sheena, sadly I will agree that what you say if often quite the case. Many of our customers come to us after buying an inferior crate and realising that it won't last the distance.

We also have tough, inexpensive, purpose designed crate mats. These DuraTuff Crate mats (not yet on our website) are designed to be well padded for protection of the dogs' joints without being so thick that they take up too much of the crate height. These mats can also be safely collapsed inside the crate without distorting the integrity of the frame like thicker bedding can.

K9+ Soft Dog Crates

I ended up replacing my K9+ soft crate with a regular wire crate (because the OH likes to dump junk on the crate and soft crates can't handle much weight on top) but if I had a choice, I think I'd definitely go back to the K9+ because the dogs loved it and the quality was worth the extra $50 or so it cost me.

In my opinion, a decent soft crate is worth saving up for. Also, the K9+ crate mats (the Duratuff ones) are really good. I have them in under a crate bolster mat and some vet bed and it's very soft and comfy. The Duratuff can be wiped down and the other stuff is small enough to wash easily.

I ended up replacing my K9+ soft crate with a regular wire crate (because the OH likes to dump junk on the crate and soft crates can't handle much weight on top) but if I had a choice, I think I'd definitely go back to the K9+ because the dogs loved it and the quality was worth the extra $50 or so it cost me.

In my opinion, a decent soft crate is worth saving up for. Also, the K9+ crate mats (the Duratuff ones) are really good. I have them in under a crate bolster mat and some vet bed and it's very soft and comfy. The Duratuff can be wiped down and the other stuff is small enough to wash easily.

OMG your OH and my OH are related :eek:

OMG your OH and my OH are related :eek:

Annoying, hey? As soon as an empty surface appears, he feels the need to put things on it :mad I actually cleared the crate off about two weeks ago and already, the pile of junk back on it is higher than it was before I tidied it.

I had one of these

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/dog-crate-cage/collapsible-fabric-pet-carrier-crate-7-sizes.html

It lasted quite a long time - would have lasted longer if nobody at a dog competition had sat on it - tho I managed to fix that bit with cable ties and duct tape.

I kept it set up in the corner of my lounge and gave my dog her bob a lot in it - Eventually she dug though the bottom of it - so I need to rebuild the skin of it. Unfortunately my first choice of horse rug repair guy doesn't want to know. He thinks I should just buy another one - and maybe he's right. Though I'd still want some tougher and replaceable fabric on the bottom.

But it would be still going if I had put a tarp under the bob a lot and another tarp under the crate when it was out on concrete or grass.

I have two K9+ royale type crates as well - they're much sturdier and come with their own sides for when dog decides to get noisy... I can roll them down so she can't see out. But you can always use a big sheet instead on the vebo crate. The vebo crate also folds flatter and is quicker to pack up than the k9+ royale types.

I prefer the K9+ crates for putting up and down and taking out as the catches etc are easier to use than the cheap ones, plus I like the insulated roof.

I do have a cheapie from Deals Direct that just sits at home set up and that has lasted for ages.