What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

Danny has come through the first hurdle with flying colours ..... an anaesthetic so he could be scoped and biopsies done. Being 15 and having a slight heart murmur we were all on tenter hooks for this. I figured he would be okay, though, as he has always been a sturdy little fellow.

Unfortunately, I now have a 2-3 days wait for the biopsy reports.

They did feed him last night, but that was regurgitated through the night :( .

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is going to be a struggle, coogie :cry: . I brought him home early this evening and he is really zonked out. I was quite shocked when I picked him up as from the vet's report, I thought he would be pretty well normal. He is totally miserable and to see him so unhappy is breaking my heart.

He is now of different medication (more heavy duty apparently) which has been compounded so I can syringe that into him.

He is on a special diet (Science Diet cans) mixed to slurry with same amount of water and either small amount syringed or given in a raised bowl. He is taking that quite well, but drinking a lot and throwing up a lot as well.

I can mix the Science Diet with chicken stock, so I will make that tomorrow.

He must be exhausted.

I think it is going to be a struggle, coogie :cry:

He is now on stronger medication which can be syringed, thank goodness.

Ditto his food: Science Diet made into a slurry with water or chicken stock and syringed, but he has been able to lap this. Small but frequent amounts.

He is totally miserable, but I am hoping that part of that is the hang over from the anaesthetic and once he starts being able to keep his special food down, he will start feeling better.

Ed to correct: He is on Hills Prescription Diet i/d.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I'm in the process of getting ready for bed and so poor boy is trying to follow me everywhere. I am sleeping on a mattress on the floor as I don't want him trying to jump off (or falling off) the bed. My bed is quite high and he could easily injure himself.

The poor little fellow can't even walk properly yet nearly 12 hours after the procedure. Although I remember one of the anaesthetics I had a long time ago, I was sick for hours and one of the nurses told me I was yellow.

His back legs are knock kneed and bent like some of the GSD bred today whose "back elbows" are practically on the ground.

He also has a little gash over his left eye which he didn't have when he left home yesterday :( :(

Tomorrow will be better.

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh DDD.. Sad to read through this thread.

I also have a senior dog that is having many issues with age (ours a mostly from the back end). For me, I realised I was reacting and treating symptoms rather than focusing on healing my girl from the inside out, and finding the cause. By no means are we on the home stretch yet, but improving slowly.

My girl is funny about food too, there's nothing I could give her that I could guarantee she might eat - fussy these little dogs!!

Good luck, I feel for you. Danny is a lucky boy to have you.

Ive only just noticed this thread.

Not sure how much this will help but you never know.

The food you are feeding will probably increase the discomfort from the symptoms rather than help – canned food and chicken stock and vegemite is in my opinion probably the worst thing you can choose.

If this were my dog I would feed foods with no fat – lean raw meats such as chicken, salmon cut into small pieces or minced but don’t buy pet mince as it has too much fat.

For now you are aiming for no fat and no spices. When he feels better there are some others but not yet.

Add Eggs, grated or pureed apple, banana and other fruits [no citrus] with some Aloe juice [ if you tell me his weight Ill give you the dosage] add some coconut oil or olive oil for the good fats too. Find another way to give him his meds the vegemite is hell for HH sufferers maybe try honey instead. Slippery elm is good too.

Give half a dozen small meals each day rather than less and see if you can feed him with his body, head elevated – maybe in your arms or him standing up on the chair back with you feeding him form the other side of the back of the chair etc. Remember the absolute worst thing that can happen is for him to get stressed so anything you can do to be sure he is stress free will help. Keep a diary and note his symptoms so you can match foods which antagonize it.

Be kind to yourself DDD because you're going above and beyond for this little guy! :hug:

Not really. :) They deserve all the help they can get, provided a good outcome is the prognosis

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes - the seniors can often be quite knocked about by anaesthesia, and recovery may be a bit slow. I hope he picks up soon, feeling miserable is no fun for pet or owner.

Yes, I have actually just remember another very elderly dog who took two days to recover and on the other side another one who the vet told me to watch as he would probably be very groggy had no affects whatsoever.

By no means are we on the home stretch yet, but improving slowly.

I hope the improvement continues, animallover99. It is just so so distressful to see them unhappy.

Thinking of you and Danny DDD. He sounds like such a tough little guy and he is indeed very lucky to have you :hug:

He has been a tough little guy, SG, but this has sure knocked him for a six.

Thank you for all that information, Steve.

Danny weighed 5.2kgs on Monday afternoon before the procedures at SASH.

I am feeding him with his head elevated, either holding the bowl or having it on another bowl. I have also elevated the water bowls.

The only chicken stock he ever has is made by me with no additives and the fat skimmed off and then strained through cloth to get the fat out.

Until further notice his food is Science Diet l/d blended 1:1 with water. He seems to quite like that and so far he is keeping more down than bringing up although he is still bringing up. :( :(

His medications are Ranitidine and Cisapride. I don't have the latter yet, as it is being compounded, but will collect today.

My next appointment with SASH is for Tuesday at which time he will have a Fluoroscopy and, depending on whether the vets think he is a candidate, surgery to fix the hernia. Frankly, see how he has been affected by the anaesthetic for the scopes, I am very very concerned as to how he will handle all that.

I really appreciate your input here, Steve. Thank you.

ETA: Vet has said no raw meat as he is not coping with that. I had tried roast chicken, but he wouldn't eat that. Maybe it was too rich. I'll check about boiled chicken though.

Thank you for all that information, Steve.

Danny weighed 5.2kgs on Monday afternoon before the procedures at SASH.

I am feeding him with his head elevated, either holding the bowl or having it on another bowl. I have also elevated the water bowls.

The only chicken stock he ever has is made by me with no additives and the fat skimmed off and then strained through cloth to get the fat out.

Until further notice his food is Science Diet l/d blended 1:1 with water. He seems to quite like that and so far he is keeping more down than bringing up although he is still bringing up. :( :(

His medications are Ranitidine and Cispride. I don't have the latter yet, as it is being compounded, but will collect today.

My next appointment with SASH is for Tuesday at which time he will have a Fluoroscopy and, depending on whether the vets think he is a candidate, surgery to fix the hernia. Frankly, see how he has been affected by the anaesthetic for the scopes, I am very very concerned as to how he will handle all that.

I really appreciate your input here, Steve. Thank you.

ETA: Vet has said no raw meat as he is not coping with that. I had tried roast chicken, but he wouldn't eat that. Maybe it was too rich. I'll check about boiled chicken though.

O.K. but this has almost 25% fat so keep that in mind - its not usually the consistency that causes pain and reflux, vomiting etc with HH its the acid and fat content .

O.K. but this has almost 25% fat so keep that in mind - its not usually the consistency that causes pain and reflux, vomiting etc with HH its the acid and fat content.

Do you mean the canned food is 25% fat?

I've been looking at the cans and it isn't Science Diet it is Hills Prescription Diet and although I need a magnifying glass, I can't see anything about fat content. I'll go onto the internet.

This is what the internet says. It still seems a high fat content; I seem to recall that fat content should be below 8.0 ??

Protein 27.8

Fat 14.3

Carbohydrate (NFE) 48.0

Crude Fiber 2.8

Total Dietary Fiber 4.8

Soluble Fiber 0.4

Insoluble Fiber 4.4

Calcium 1.31

Phosphorus 1.0

Sodium 0.40

Potassium 0.87

Magnesium 0.099

I've just checked Hills Prescription Diet a/d which I've been told to use if the other doesn't work and it is 30.4% fat!!!!