What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

A roo mince ball. Kraft lite cheese spread or lite smooth peanut butter are winners here for Stella. She is on life long meds so had to get something that is always going to work. So far so good. She is very cunning so the pills have to be very well camoed or else they get spat straight back at you ;)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Danny is that I am trying to medicate a little elderly dog who often doesn't feel very well. I just went into the kitchen to start getting their dinner, Danny came running eagerly in and I thought, "That's a good sign. The meds must be making him feel better." With that he started heaving and brought up a lot of sloppy sick which contained a couple of the treats I gave them all while walking this afternoon.

So I don't know whether to try to give him the meds he is due now or what. :cry::cry: Poor little man. The vet was at a loss too this afternoon and she was going to have a talk with her colleagues and get back to me.

Sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with this. :(

I personally would try to get the meds in by any possible means even though he has had a little vomit. Even if he chucks up again there is still all likelihood that some will get into his system.

Best of luck with this

A compounding pharmacist can put your three main drugs into one capsule, or flavoured pastes or flavoured syrups (separately or combined).

In Vic we use Slade Compoundia and they have a bazillion different flavours to try. The also have some idea of what meds taste yuck and the best flavours to mask them.

It's as simple as talking to your vet, having them send the script and talking to the compounding pharmacy about what will work with the meds, the flavours and your budget.

I reckon talking to a compounding chemist is a great idea. One of the Canberra ones specifically advertises that they make various forms of veterinary meds.

Also bear in mind that the only way to pill most cats is the shove it down the throat method so if it really comes down to it, size wise it is doable with small dogs (I actually used to do it with Saxon at first as I'd only had cats before and couldn't believe you could just put a pill in a smear of peanut butter and a dog would voluntarily eat it :laugh: )

You've probably already done it but I agree with trying to get tonight's meds into him. Poor little fella. Still, he's lucky he has such a dedicated owner :)

I had a long post typed out but my iPad froze. Been doing that a bit lately.

Danny has been throwing up all night :( . He came running into the kitchen when I started to get their dinners all eager and happy and I thought: well that's a good sign, only for him to start a great heaving and throwing up session. Not that there was much to bring up, but he has been drinking more water than usual, so some of his carafate would have been in that including a few bits of liver treat that he had while out walking late afternoon.

Then Jeune ate too much and threw it all down the hallway - one hallway rug in the wash to be followed when that is finished by the lounge rug.

Into the second bedroom to get Bunter's bowl only to find a huge :vomit: which was obviously his because he in on a VAN diet. I've never known Bunter to throw up, at least I can't remember that he ever has. So maybe he thinks he isn't getting enough attention. Darling Bunter that is NOT the way to do it. :D

After everyone had settled down, I decided to try to give Danny his meds and he was happy to gobble them down in some vegemite toast that I made. I can't remember who suggested that, but it worked. Since then, I have found about four more large throw-ups and several little ones just about a teaspoon size. One bed has gone in the bin (old and would cost more to wash that replace LOL), one bed waiting for the second rug to finish and then into the washing machine. Also one pair of shoes on deck waiting for the morning to be cleaned because I stood in some.

My poor babies. I am at my wits' end really. Danny is obviously not well and unhappy, but vets are at a loss too and have advised just to keep on with the medication and to sit him on my lap to keep him upright to try to help his food go down and stay down. That of course assumes that he will eat.

I will be discussing with them the possibility of compounding his meds. The chemist I patronise is a compounding chemist and, over the years, I have had lots of scripts filled by them for dogs. Their prints out say: Danny Dog. LOL.

All I need now is for the Propalin that Tamar is on for night incontinence to decide not to work and I be ready for admission somewhere.

Oh no :( Maybe they have a tummy bug going around that is unrelated to Danny's other conditions but is just worse for him because of everything else.

I know if one of mine has a runny tummy or vomits they all tend to. Hopefully it passes soon. It's extra tough when you need them to keep meds down though!

OT but my iPhone does the freeze thing and I'm on the second iPad that now has battery problems where it randomly turns itself off then back on again. So annoying, but I love the iPad so much for internet and ibooks that I'll probably get another one :laugh:

Edited by Simply Grand

This evening has comnpleted bypassed subline and has just simply gone from the totally ridiculous to the absolutely completely and totally ridiculous. :cry: :cry:

Getting ready for bed, toss on a couple of throws and a couple of dog beds because you will all be familiar with how dogs love to "dig to China" and organise their bedding. Bunter goes up the steps and I see that he has had diarrhoea. Gloves, scissors get to work and Bunter hates having his bottom clipped but manage to get most of it. Go to get an old cloth that I can throw away to wash him, come back to the bedroom and someone has done a huge wee on the bed. Luckily it hasn't gone through to my bedding and I just wrap up all the throws to take to the laundry and some of it runs off onto my shoe and the floor. :cry: :cry: On the other hand, I am close to laughing hysterically.

But I stay calm, put on another load of washing, wipe/wash the floor, change shoes and get car keys to drive to the nearest motel.

Good night.

Sarsa, I'll take all the hugs I can get. Thank you :)

Well it is 10.30 here and I have only just surfaced. Insomnia until 5am :( .

I have done a search of fhe house and no more sickies. Danny didn't move the entire night, Ithink. Tamar prowled around the bed a couple of times checking on Jeune who was under the covers, Gussy Cat slept in the second bedroom (her choice - she is free to wander) and Bunter jumped off the bed a couple of times, so I knew something was up with him.

Found some more sicks on the deck, but I don't know when they happened as I could have easily missed them in th storms last night and there is a huge and very messy poo all down the back steps.

My poor babies. When I see Danny, I just want to cry. He has been to the water bowl in the kitchen twice in the past few minutes and I now have to start the medication routine. Strong coffee first, then shower, then phone call to vets.

Thanks, BC Crazy. I have managed to give Danny his medications this morning. Carafate mixed in water and Nutrigel and syringed while propping him on my lap. And the others a bit later in vegemite toast.

Flowers and chocolates to Gallomph :thanks: . I know they all love vegemite toast and I always share when I have it. Why I didn't think of it for hiding pills is beyond me.

I will be spending a lot of time at the computer over the next couple of weeks as vet wants me to keep a chart of how Danny goes through the day to see if we can pin down anything via his behaviour and what he keeps down and/or brings up.

Thanks Yonjuro. I hope things improve too, because seeing Danny in such discomfort is breaking my heart. He is a little rescue from my days of being a volunteer walker at Burwood Pound in Sydney. He has been with me since February 2002, so (apart from Gussy Cat Feb 1999) the longest of all my little ones.

DDD Just wondering how you're coping with those meds and hoping your life has calmed down a bit.

Thanks Sarasparilla :) . I've been having all sorts of internet connect problems, probably due to the storms so haven't been able to get into this forum.

We are limping along. Danny is taking all his meds, thanks to vegemite toast and nutrigel mixed in with water for his Carafate and a large syringe. Eating is still not his favourite thing, sadly.

He has thrown up through the last two nights, but because I haven't heard him I think he is just regurgitating a bit of food that hasn't managed to get into his stomach.

Bunter came out in sympathy again last night and threw up all his dinner. So I'm keeping an eagle eye on him.

The washing machine has hardly stopped - but thank god the sun is out today.

I went to PetStock yesterday to buy some more beef and chicken raw and had a prowl around the tinned foods. Ended up buying one can of Science Diet Beef Stew. That was a big hit with Danny and he wolfed it down last night. True to form, he wasn't interested in it this morning. But I'm thinking the mornings might be worst time for him in terms of not feeling too well. Can dogs live health lives on vegemite toast, do you think? :laugh: :laugh:

On the way back from PetStock (Mt Colah) car was having problems, strugging along, conking out and not wanting to start after stopping at lights. Managed to limp into the NRMA service station at Hornsby. As I thought, the clutch has gone and am now without a car so I am hoping we don't have any emergencies doggy healthwise. However, I have some good neighbours so if the worst happens I will be okay.

So, I don't know about my life calming down, Sarsaparilla :( :( , but we are settling into a routine.

DDD I so feel for you - but I promise it does get better. I was without a car all last week (the fuel pump went and needed two lots of parts from Melbourne). Severe dent in finances.frown.gif And Maccles has been Ill again and wet the bed - twice. frown.gif And Sarah's poo is still runny despite another 2k in vet fees all up frown.gif. And a goat elimination diet. And it seemed everything I touched last week went pear-shaped. It was one of those weeks. So I know how you feel but it does get better. hug.gif