What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tempeh is having some horse sized tablets at present and she inhales hers because of what I stick them in. I get a whole uncooked chicken every week. I cut the breasts off and keep it for us humans. Then I boil up the remainder and use the stock and meat to make a couple of other meals for the humans. With the leftovers I add more water and a whole lot of rice and boil it into a big mush. Once cooled I very carefully pick out all the bones and what we are left with is a chicken mush - the broth and rice turn into a big sort of jelly mix. Even the big tablets inside a chicken mush ball get inhaled without question. I used to use peanut butter but she could always smell the tablet over the yummy stuff and after a couple of days wasn't willing to play the game. But cooked chicken and rice smells continue to overcome any suspicion she has.

This concoction used to work fine for me too, LG. Unfortunately, I cannot now accept as a given that Danny will eat it. With the conditions he needs his meds for, he often doesn't feel like eating. He still presents himself as eager and ready to eat, but I think that is just a habit of a lifetime. Same as racing to the side gate to go off walking and then putting the brakes on because he doesn't really want to go. :(

I actually found what Woolies calls Chicken Strips the other day when I was contemplating a roast chicken as a pill disguiser. These were disgusting to my eyes, more bread crumbed coating than chicken, but the dogs loved them. Of course when I give Danny his meds, all the others want treats as well.

Have always administered carafate with a syringe, followed quickly by something yummy to eat so that they swallow everything :)

As for pills, we only have one dog on regular meds and she loves peanut butter so that is easy (plus the meds she is on need to be given with a small fatty meal so it ticks that box too). She never seems to tire of it and the others love to lick the spoon when she is done. Other options we use are cheese, mince, tuna, frankfurts, sausages, devon/chicken roll, yogurt, ham. God we have been known to give it to them in a piece of spiral pasta when desperate :laugh:

Ours are pretty good though, most will eat anything disguised as food. Some will eat the most disgusting tablet on its own simply because we asked for a simple trick first so therefore it must be a treat (where is Mr Rollyeyes when you need him?)

Devon.

I could wrap a phone book in a slice of devon and Stan would swallow it whole.

Righto. Demo called upon please. :rofl::rofl:

Is Devon mild?

Just good old devon slices from the deli DD, the ones my mum used put on a sandwich with tomato sauce everyday for my entire primary school life :laugh:

It's mild, it's pretty tasteless really gawd knows what's in it but Stan would do a cartwheel for a slice with his monthly heartworm tablet in it.

Little meatballs made from sardines ( only the ones in spring water ) & roll a pill in them & warm in the microwave. They usually just swallow the small meatball in one gulp.

Stinks. I hate fish but it works.

Yep. I use a little bit of tuna in springwater or if I am lucky enough to have any salmon left over, I roll the tablet up in a small bit. Seems to work because it is a strong smell.

Delta Charlie, I have already mixed up Danny's evening carafate in a measuring cone and put in a dob of nutrigel as well :o:o Sure doesn't take much to amuse me.

I think the carafate the vet gave him via syringe and the meds I managed to give him in the salmon and Philly have made him feel better as he has just happily cleaned up my little bit of left over pumpkin soup.

HazyWal - devon in on the shopping list. I think I led a deprived childhood as I never had devon and tomatoe sauce sandwiches. I do remember lovely slabs of mums mince pie, though.

Stellnme, do you mean canned salmon?

I noticed my dog was good at catching treats when I throw them, I also realised that they just go straight down the throat. So now when I give his flea heart worm tablets, I trick him by throwing them, and hey presto tablet in the guts :D

:laugh: :laugh: Yonjuro. If I threw anything (even a ball) at my dogs, they'd be complaining to the RSPCA.

:laugh: Oh well... you could try making an incision in a chicken neck and inserting the pill. even half or quarter a neck would probably work.

Mick will eat anything, especially if it drops on the floor lol. Abby is a bit fussier so any meds get wrapped in as small as possible bit of something yummy and another larger piece ready. She swallows the first bit in haste to get the next bit.

Delta Charlie, I have already mixed up Danny's evening carafate in a measuring cone and put in a dob of nutrigel as well :o:o Sure doesn't take much to amuse me.

I think the carafate the vet gave him via syringe and the meds I managed to give him in the salmon and Philly have made him feel better as he has just happily cleaned up my little bit of left over pumpkin soup.

HazyWal - devon in on the shopping list. I think I led a deprived childhood as I never had devon and tomatoe sauce sandwiches. I do remember lovely slabs of mums mince pie, though.

Stellnme, do you mean canned salmon?

I have been known to give them the good, cooked in the oven stuff, left over from the night before. :laugh: No bones of course. Canned salmon would be just as good, though.

Vegemite toast/sandwich! roll a piece into a ball and put pill in the middle. Then ostentatiously eat a mouthful of toast yourself, followed by "sharing" the doctored bit with the dog!

If desperate, I will grind up the pill, mix it into some nutrigel / peanut butter / honey, and then wipe the gooey stuff onto the roof of the dogs mouth. Check with vet first - some pills should not be ground up, but with many it's OK.

Ice-cream or honey... worked a treat for getting Trizene tablets (very bitter) down puppies' throats...

I use ice-cream. A good quality vanilla ice-cream.

I remember a DOLer way back, said she discovered a foolproof method by chance. She accidentally spilled some peanut butter on the fridge door when getting it out. The two dogs scrambled to lick off the freebee. Light bulb moment...put a pill in a smear of peanut butter on the fridge door. She did. Again... mad scramble to lick it off.

We do cheese for Scottie.

Guin (before him) was a horror - we ended up getting her daily liver stuff from the compounding chemist - so much easier for the long term.

Edited to add: It was "chicken flavoured" and came in a dropper. Made the last 18 months of her life much happier - and ours too.

We used Bovis here in Sydney. We'd call our vet when we needed a top up, then bovis would call and take payment and dispatch to the vet. We'd collect it within a day or two from the vet. Simple. awesome.

Edited by Scottsmum

Has anyone seen those Canex worming tablets that come with the Revolution flea stuff? Those big round pink tablets?

I just use the open mouth and pop them in method. Much easier when you have a large dog though :)

My boy has been on antis for 3 months, he actually comes to me as he knows he gets a treat after.

The problem with Danny is that I am trying to medicate a little elderly dog who often doesn't feel very well. I just went into the kitchen to start getting their dinner, Danny came running eagerly in and I thought, "That's a good sign. The meds must be making him feel better." With that he started heaving and brought up a lot of sloppy sick which contained a couple of the treats I gave them all while walking this afternoon.

So I don't know whether to try to give him the meds he is due now or what. :cry::cry: Poor little man. The vet was at a loss too this afternoon and she was going to have a talk with her colleagues and get back to me.

Is there still a compounding pharmacy for vets?

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the past.

For our big dogs I just shove down the back of the throat, and Jodie is such a martyr she just swallows anything no matter how awful just so we know how good she is.

Maggot was the hardest dog to get meds into. He was small and had sharp teeth and couldn't be man-handled. He didn't mind the squirt stuff on his meals but we went through so many many foods to wrap around tablets. Brie was a big winner but he got a LOT of non medicated foods to trick him.