What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

Thank you, ladies.

Yes the improvement is significant. He is eating voraciously most of the time, but I am still restricting the amount he has at any one time.

I'm not sure that my experience with SASH is just a hiccup, sadly. I've written it all down and will ask my vet to read it and ask if I am making too much of it al. He even had a small bleeding scrape wound in his eyebrow/eyelid area which I noticed only when I saw some blood on my fingers. I don't see how this could have happened either on the way home in the car or when we arrived home, because he was barely capable of standing.

Anyway, the main thing is that he is so much better, wants to eat and what he eats, he is keeping down.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is such a roller coaster ride emotionally :(:cry: . I am just about ready to slit my wrists.

He is taking his medicattions, eating well (but not this morning) showing few signs of bringing his food up and if he does it is just little splats which he licks down again.

But . . . . . . his general demeanour is so poor. I honestly don't know what to think any more. Is he miserable? Is he in pain? Is he unwell? Or is he just feeling old and holding his tail up takes up too much energy? I just don't know.

I've attached a photograph to show what he is like 99% of the time. He doesn't leave my side: I move, he moves. And quite often if I am in the same spot for a while, for example ironing, washing up, he will move until he is practically against my leg. Quite often as he stands like he is in the photo, he is swaying as well. I think he becomes totally exhausted with his need to keep me in view all the time.

And if this wasn't enough, Gussy has hurt her leg very badly. I've taken her to the vet of course and it isn't broken, but it is very very painful to the extent she can't walk on it. She isn't eating and has been hiding under the chair in my bedroom all morning since I gave her her medication. :( :( :(

post-1031-0-59069800-1414374248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

If I was constantly upchucking I'd be feeling pretty miserable. Dogs have a survival thing going on so it could be stressful to him too not feeling strong enough in his pack and knowing he is unwell but can't change that. And if you or I were only keeping down tiny, regular meals we might have lethargy simply from having less food in our bodies. He's had lots going on internally, the poor boy. Can you change the dynamics for him a little - instead of worried mummy could you be more energetic and distracting? Will he sit out in the sun with you and have a cuddle or does he like to potter around the garden with you? Anything he enjoys that he can manage might lift his spirits or make him forget for a bit.

As for Gussy cat being in the wars she will hopefully just need some rest for it to come good. Everything hurts more as you get older remember!

Danny would be happy to cuddle all day. He is happiest if I decide to use the recliner rocker and he lies at the bottom between my feet, or resting his head on my legs.

I had to go down to the vet this morning, so I took him to weigh him --- 5.3kg so he has put on a little bit of weight. Since last Monday, notwithstanding the couple of terrible days when he was throwing up all the time and a couple of days at SASH where he ate practically nothing.

He hasn't had a major throw up for over three days, but I see him licking his lips and thrusting his head forward a little bit, so I think there is a little bit of regurgitation going on, but not to the extent he throws up.

I guess I am expecting too much too soon, LG, and following your advice, sat cuddling him for quite some time and he just snuggled in and put his head on my shoulder.

I have to keep reminding myself that, afterall, he is an old dog, whether in good health or not.

The procedure at SASH tomorrow (Fluoroscopy) doesn't require an anaesthetic, otherwise I would be postponing it.

Thanks again for the good wishes. All the elderies, including the Mayoress, of Mooch City need them :) :)

Hoping all goes well tomorrow, he could be picking up on your stress too if he is very close to you. Hope Gussy is soon on the mend too, they sure pick their times. I remember when Issy had her big hip surgery, the day after, Alf ripped his claw right out and was bleeding horribly and squealing like he was being murdered. I had to bundle him off to the ER and was a nervous wreck then trying to nurse them both.

It was a bit like man flu though - barely a peep out of Issy who had just had the top of her leg bone removed, but Alf the big boofy bloke cried for days over his nail and whinged incessantly. I was tempted to take Issy's tramdol.

Will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Just back from SASH (I forgot the Tramadol LOL).

I had a long talk to Danny's vet - I had to push for this as I was expected to just sign lots of papers and leave him and no way was I going to do that. Problems have included: poor to no communciation, vet not available to talk with, wrong medications, Danny was discharged to me with a small, bleeding gash over his eye, a dirty bottom, etc etc. Despite the vet prescribing heavy duty medications, one wasn't available until Friday and then it was in tablet form instead of liquid. And despite my asking for them, no instructions as to how the medications were to be given, for example with/after/before food, and how long apart.

I even found out that they'd recorded his weight incorrectly. In his discharge papers. his weight was recorded as 4.7kgs and at my vets it had been 5.2kgs. I mentioned this during this morning's meeting and the vet confirmed that the weight recorded was incorrect :( . A difference of 1/2 kilo is considerable in a dog who weighs 5.2kgs. He has put on 200gms since then weighing in at 5.4kgs this morning :thumbsup:

Anyway, we have decided to postpone the fluoroscopy until we have had more time assessing Danny's progress on diet and medication.

He is sound asleep now.

I have to accept that he isn't just old, he is very old. :cry: :cry:

Lots of cuddles and recliner rocker time to come. :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks, grumpette. When I compiled my report, I had 12 points for discussion!! :eek:

I actually gave a copy to my usual vet for his input as to whether or not I was over-reacting. He said that there was nothing in my report that he would not want to know about if it were happening at his hospital and that I should definitely send it to the hospital. So I have sent the report to SASH's Hospital Administrator and went through them all in person with the SASH vet today. She unreservedly apologised for each and everyone of them, giving explanations in a couple of cases, but accepted that all were unacceptable however they occurred.

I was nervous as to how Danny would be treated if I complained, but in the final analysis, it had to be done.

Onwards and upwards now.

Guest crazydoglady99

Awww DDD. I agree all unacceptable and you have done the right thing by bringing to their attention.

Big hugs to you and Danny

I

I've attached a photograph to show what he is like 99% of the time. He doesn't leave my side: I move, he moves. And quite often if I am in the same spot for a while, for example ironing, washing up, he will move until he is practically against my leg. Quite often as he stands like he is in the photo, he is swaying as well. I think he becomes totally exhausted with his need to keep me in view all the time.

Do you have a small bed that you can move around with you, so that for example, when you're ironing, you put the bed right at your feet. This may encourage him to lie down and rest.

Whenever I've had a sick dog I've spent quiet time with them just lying on the bed, giving them cuddles of patting them in an area that doesn't hurt. They usually fall into a lovely deep sleep knowing someone is just there, watching over them while they recuperate. It's like kids who feel unwell who like to lie in your lap and have their hair stroked - it's just comforting without being intrusive.

LG, I am so looking forward to getting home after my podiatry appointment, because that is what I plan on doing LOL. Maybe a bit of shoppping first for a tub of icecream :D :D

Perrin, I there are definitely signs of improvement. I guess the "bigs guns" of the medicinal world are kicking in - I would sure hope so at $200 a pop :eek: :eek: .

I must admit, I am starting to get a silly grin on my face when I look at my little red man. I guess we will have ups and downs, but this afternoon his demeanour is so improved.

AND !!! I've just found Gussy in the bushes to bring her inside and she is walking so much better, so she is on the improve as well.

Now for me . . . . . . . .

LG, I am so looking forward to getting home after my podiatry appointment, because that is what I plan on doing LOL. Maybe a bit of shoppping first for a tub of icecream :D :D

Perrin, I there are definitely signs of improvement. I guess the "bigs guns" of the medicinal world are kicking in - I would sure hope so at $200 a pop :eek: :eek: .

I must admit, I am starting to get a silly grin on my face when I look at my little red man. I guess we will have ups and downs, but this afternoon his demeanour is so improved.

AND !!! I've just found Gussy in the bushes to bring her inside and she is walking so much better, so she is on the improve as well.

Now for me . . . . . . . .

Get the caramel popcorn ice cream from Coles... Very soothing!!

It's a shame that SASH hasn't been as good with you and Danny as they can be. Are you still going to Angus?

All good wishes for improvement and lots of cuddles