New Organisation For Pedigree Registration

Kavik

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the AABPR was created to represent professional breeders who are tired of conforming to the typical appearance only based "standard" of breeding
:laugh:

Funny how there is not one single name on the website, the only form of contact is through a gmail address and it is based in Sale - home of the puppy farmers. I hope nobody takes this seriously.

While the intention may be good, and even the reality, I think it will serve to confuse the general pet buying public even more, and create much bitching & bickering within the breeding community. One step forward, a few more backwards.

No linebreeding, no inbreeding, no looks just health.

Great idea, then you end up with a nice bag of randoms because you cant line breed once or twice to cement the genetics.

It sounds like another fuzzy idea with no real practicality. The only thing I like is you HAVE to DNA all dogs to match their paperwork and all health tests have to be done.

At the AABPR we will be accepting and administering papers to cross-bred canines.

If each pure bred parent has pedigree papers, the prodgeny is eligible to receive AABPR pedigree papers.

There is no scientific proof that pure bred canines are healthier that cross-bred canines, infact in many instances they produce healthier puppies, for example:

If you were to cross a pug witha jack russel.

the puppies produced may:

have an elongated nose which reduces breathing difficulties

have a more athletic composition

A cross bred puppy also has the advantage of having a much lower chance of inheriting a congenital disease, since the mating process natuarally leaves out the defective genes.

The only argument against cross-bred canines we see as truthful is that with a mix-breed dog often you have no idea which breeds your puppy is made up of, that is why at the AABPR all members must conduct DNA testing on all prodgeny produced.

AS COPIED FROM THEIR WEBSITE

So you don't even have to have a purebred dog for it to be registered on the all breeds register.

But you have to have had DNA testing.

Hmmmm

Edited by Riley James

since the mating process natuarally leaves out the defective genes.

Well thats untrue for one. It does NOT. It can mask recessive diseases common in a breed as F1 progeny become carriers instead of potentially receiving two copies and being affected. Saying that if it's not a breed specific recessive trait that doesnt have a genetic test for it ...

How can you have a pedigree if it is a cross breed

Because apparently all it means is a pretty piece of paper with dogs names on it, nothing more. Dear god the real meaning of pedigrees is just out the window isnt it?

And do t forget they say ALL relevant health testing has to be done.

But let's face it if they have x bred their dogs what are the chances of them having done testing ?

I am sure there are some breeders of cross breeds who do test but I imagine they are few are far between.

Wonder if it's a 2 gen cross breed if you can still register it ?

"TRAITS ARE NORMALLY SELECTED FOR APPEARANCE, NOT HEALTH AND FUNCTIONALITY, WE'RE CHANGING THAT!"

Sorry about the capitals, but that's how it's written on the website. Where do they get this 'normally' from? Every registered breeder I've had dealings with puts equal emphasis on health & temperament. Sample from breeder of one of my p/b dogs ... & who also won at Crufts. Her approach is not unusual:

"My goal is and I feel dedicated to ... breed with healthy animals, only breed with animals that have good temperaments and frame as close to the breed standard as I can; to give life to puppies that have the best qualifications for a good long life and a loving home for the rest of their lives."

It's not either/or ... appearance or health ... It's both.

As for the mixed-breed stuff, they're trying to copy a purebred registry... but without a notion of what 'pedigree' means.

Edited by mita

And I agine the DNA testing of a 6th cross bred dog.

Wonder if their registry is going to have papers that show the breeds within the crosses.

I was speaking to the breeder of the puppy I am currantly waiting on and one of the statements she told me was

"I breed for temperament first but the dogs also NEED to follow the breed standard also.

This is one of the reasons I am getting a pup off her

She knows what she is talking about.

But hey now,there is this new registry does that mean I can breed my Ridgie with my Jack Russell and have papers for it

Will that mean I can charge more ?

This will just totally open a while can of rotten worms IMO

It's such a crock of Doo doo

Anyway rant over

"Purchase your puppy from a breeder that focuses purely on the health and functionality of their specific breed, not appearance."

But the main picture is of one of those big boofhead blue staffords? Hmmm.

That's an Amstaff or at least I think it is, it's certainly not an SBT

I have seen that photo on the internet before (a few times).

I am sure it was once when I googled images of Amstaffs, it came up.