Just A Vent About Numpty Owners And Off Leash Dogs.

Malakita

Grrr. Can you stand another rant from me on clueless owners?

The scene:

Local park - LEASHED AREA.

Me and Ernie notice a highly reactive yorkie on a long retractable lead being walked (?)) by a mum with a kid in a stroller.

Ernie is still overly lungy and desperate to meet every damn dog on this earth. His trigger distance is about 3 metres- then he yanks and jumps.

I see this woman bring dragged, stroller and all behind the Yorkie and move well off the footpath and start to distract Ernie by putting him through his paces. At this point, he's 10 metres EASILY off the footpath. the mum continues to approach, makes NO attempt to reel the little guy in - who is now snarling and lunging from about 10 metres away. I ask her nicely to reel her dog back.

Her response (as she continues to approach) is 'he just HATES big dogs' and LAUGHES. At this point, Ernie is reacting and yanking and jumping because her dog is right in his face and I'm putting myself between him and said Yorkie. As her dog snaps at ME and my dog, she laughed AGAIN and says 'he thinks he's a big dog but he won't hurt you'.

At which point I said 'control him or I'll kick him into next week'. I then got abuse heaped on me for walking MY dog in an area if I didn't want him to 'meet other dogs'.

Seriously. So glad I cannot carry a weapon.

Sorry I don't get this about threatening to kick other dogs. How would you feel if someone kicked, or threatened to kick, your dog? Surely there are more appropriate responses.

I think it's that the polite request was completely disregarded. Stressmagnet may not have planned to carry through on the threat, but sometimes you have to be rude for people to take you seriously. If Ernie had gotten riled up and bitten the other dog, he would probably be the one in trouble...

As the owner of a reactive dog I have come up with some creative one liners that work 9 times out of 10 (way better than "he's not friendly, stay away"). They include, "back up, he's got kennel cough", "be careful, he bites people" (when its them in danger they are much more obliging) or "he will draw blood" works pretty well. People tend to give you 'the look' and then leave pretty damn quick... pull those bad boys out next time and you can avoid confrontation a lot easier (at least in my experience) :)

Like this reply. Ringworm would be a good one because people can catch that too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I've asked nicely.

If I've moved my dog away.

If your dog is trying to bite my leg.

I'll happily threaten to kick it.

Would I ACTUALLY kick someone's dog? Not unless it actually latched on to me or my dog. But yeah, I would.

Sorry if that makes me horrible. I can live with that.

What amazes me is the number of people who let their kids just run up screaming and lunge themselves at strange dogs. Seriously my little dog is placid and won't react but so many aren't and the way these kids run up from behind the dogs and frighten them I'm surprised they don't get bitten. Even adults do it when we are out for a walk - drives me crazy, I don't even see them coming either many times.

If I've asked nicely.

Would I ACTUALLY kick someone's dog? Not unless it actually latched on to me or my dog. But yeah, I would.

By the time it gets to that point you do whatever you need to do to protect you and your dog. I completely agree :)

I block kids saying loudly and firmly "This is NOT A TOY".

I told a bloke today to stop his dog humping another dog at the park... he said "they're just playing" and since I was not the owner it was none of my business.

The equally clueless owner was in the playground - had completely ignored her dog for ages at that point... and presently it sought help from her by running back to her, and then there was a fight.

Predictable - but I think they deserved each other.

If I've asked nicely.

By the time it gets to that point you do whatever you need to do to protect you and your dog. I completely agree :)

Agreed. You ask, you tell you do what it takes. If what it takes involves a kick then so be it.

I have kicked a dog, and hard, once. It was an entire male Boxer who had hackles up and growling. I had an entire male Dobe who I had half lifted up and had his muzzle over my shoulder by this time, dog stood up on its back legs and lunged at me and my dog and its open mouth with teeth hanging out was inches from my face. I had nothing to lose so gave it as hard a kick as I could, it dropped, and ran back to its owner. I then got abused by anoteehr beach goer for kicking a dog - how dare I!!! Riiigghhhtttt! Needless to say she got a mouthful as well. My dog and I ended up with no bite marks just a lot of sand and slobber, thank god!

Re kids and dogs:

On the weekend I had to teach a four year old how to approach dogs. He launched himself at Ernie full blast. Grabbed his head and hugged; slapped my dog on the head with vigorous "pats" while Dad stood watching about 2 metres away. Then screamed when Ernie jumped up for an enthusiastic waggy lick.

I mean, I know Ernie's a lab but loads of folks get bitten by labs every year in this country. Labrador does not equal always placid and friendly. I am so very lucky he is one atypical calm pup and that he actually listens to me. Mostly.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Ernie isn't 'reactive' - I've owned a reactive dog. He just is still working on manners and leash behaviour. I'm not going to muzzle him until he looks like he IS reactive.

I just wish owners would get that not every other dog NEEDS to meet their dog.. When Ernie's on leash, I expect certain behaviour and he's really getting it. But when another owner lets his/her diog charge mine OFFLEASH in a LEASHED area; yeah, I get cranky.

And so far, all the owners flouting the leash restriction have owned small reactive dogs.

Some dogs will actually turn on the person who is threatening them. A council worker was once in our horse paddock and our dog confronted him. He picked up a stick and threatened to hit her and she lunged at him. Fortunately no damage was done. The point is that if you threaten to kick a dog it might turn on you.

It is best to defuse the situation if possible although I know that it is not always practicable. My dogs have been attacked and it is terrifying. Mostly I walk with eyes in the back of my head and I retreat from any off leash dog and I cross the road when I see on leash dogs.

Just for the record I could not kick anything. It would be physically impossible. I run away dragging my dogs with me, once when a staffy was actually on top of my dog and I was dragging them both. The staffy finally released its hold and my dog was not hurt but she is now reactive. I am reactive too and I am terrified of loose dogs.

The last time we were rushed it was a husky coming out of a driveway. My dogs were on leash. When I called out to the owner to grab her dog, she at first just stood and watched but then came and grabbed it and told me nothing would have happened if I had not called out. By that stage I had actually backed on to the road and I could hear a car coming around the bend and I thought I was going to be run over. I reported her to the ranger.

edited for grammar

Edited by sarsaparilla

Just another thought. I think that when people call out that their dog is friendly or it won't hurt you they are often just trying to defuse a situation and to calm people down. I believe it is important to stay calm if you can. I think dogs are made reactive by owners who overreact. In hindsight I wish I had been more calm when my dog was attacked.

Just another thought. I think that when people call out that their dog is friendly or it won't hurt you they are often just trying to defuse a situation and to calm people down. I believe it is important to stay calm if you can. I think dogs are made reactive by owners who overreact. In hindsight I wish I had been more calm when my dog was attacked.

I'm pretty calm. I think if you read my original post again, I'd done everything you suggested.

If owners won't call off their dog - especially one that is snappibg, growling, and lunging at my dog, I have no qualms about getting cranky. And defending my dog. With a well aimed kick to the opposing dog if necessary.

Also, as I sm lame in one leg - running away is NOT an option for me. I have to face it and unfortunately, so does my dog.

I'm pretty calm. I think if you read my original post again, I'd done everything you suggested.

If owners won't call off their dog - especially one that is snappibg, growling, and lunging at my dog, I have no qualms about getting cranky. And defending my dog. With a well aimed kick to the opposing dog if necessary.

Also, as I sm lame in one leg - running away is NOT an option for me. I have to face it and unfortunately, so does my dog.

My comment was not aimed at you specifically or anyone else on this thread. It was just a general comment. Sorry that you are lame.

My comment was not aimed at you specifically or anyone else on this thread. It was just a general comment. Sorry that you are lame.

:D :D lame in more ways than one, according to my teenage daughters.

Thanks for your post tho - good suggestions which made me feel like I was doing the right thing.

I'd say that as I have had some training in how to read dog body language, and having handled dogs deemed "dangerous" during my time with rescue, that I may just have a clue as to which approaching dog is not doing so as a "friendly" gesture...

If an owner has not taken any notice of what their dog is doing, or can't be arsed to stop it, then I'm just not about to stand there and let my dogs or myself cop it. Running away can sometimes be the worst thing you can do by the way... and like stressmagnet, I don't run due to my own physical issues.

T.

I think dogs are made reactive by owners who overreact.

Gawd - I don't even have to "react" - I just have to say loudly "Get your dog" and mine goes off if I haven't said it like I'm on the cast of Play School.

I lunged at one dog I thought was going to pee on my hat (that my dog had dropped on the ground) and she herded him across the park. Tho - being a whippet who likes to be pursued - I suspect that dog enjoyed it.

I really really hate owners who let their dogs pee on other people's stuff including park infrastructure like the footy goal posts.

And I really really wish joggers and etc would not leave their drink bottles and car keys and phone in a little pile making an ideal pee post for those dogs that like to pee on everything. Worse - in a pile next to a lamp post or footy goal.

Tho - being a whippet who likes to be pursued - I suspect that dog enjoyed it.

Generally they don't like being pursued.

Leaving your stuff in a pile in an offlead dog area is asking for trouble! I guess though if I was leaving stuff I would put it in a pile!!!

If I need to leave stuff - I hang it up on a fence out of pee reach or put it up on a chair - even that is enough to stop it being peed on (tho my dog will still check bags for food).

This particular whippet - he will tease other dogs - nip at them even - to get a game of chase-me going. I agree - it's not for every whippet but a lot I meet like it. With the right dog - my dog likes it too.