Teeth Cleaning

Airedaler

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT THIS IS AS GOOD AS A VETERINARY DENTAL PROCEDURE OR EVEN COMPARABLE!!

It is really quite upsetting that this is sneaking into Australia because it has caused so many problems in the US :cry:

Sorry for the caps but this is how much I believe in it. Scaling the tooth is cosmetic only because there is no possible way to get under the gumline to do a full examination. It is not just about the dog sitting still. And if you think of the risk of bacteria getting into the blood stream via the infection under the gum and causing infections in the heart and liver then you can understand that it is simply not worth the risk of not having a proper dental done.

Jules- equine dentistry is about rasping the top of the tooth clean, not about probing under the gum. That being said we are starting to realise that Gingivitis and periodontal disease is actually a huge problem in horses too and vets are now starting to treat this during equine dentals as well as ensuring the teeth glide appropriately.

Please go to this link see why http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/perils-anesthesia-free-dentistry-pets

ETA this link http://www.avdc.org/dentalscaling.html

ETA- Just watched a video and I didn't get past 'Step 2'- that wasn't even close to an appropriate full oral exam :(

Equine Dentistry is not about rasping the top of the tooth clean. The actual tooth is rasped shorter with tooth removed. It isn't just cleaned.

I suggest you watch the whole video and then you will see how they address various issues that concern you.

And I think it is great as I have a dog that can't go under GA. My scaling was totally approved by my vet btw. He was super impressed.

This is however a subject that causes quite heated debate. I suggest people do their own research and make up their own minds.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be an awesome preemptive treatment too.

Our dogs are 18mths or so, and have good teeth but I'd love to stay on top of it without a yearly GA.Perhaps its something to look into.

Would love to hear from people who've used the service.

Equine Dentistry is not about rasping the top of the tooth. The actual tooth is rasped shorter with tooth removed. It isn't just cleaned.

I suggest you watch the whole video and then you will see how they address various issues that concern you.

And I think it is great as I have a dog that can't go under GA. My scaling was totally approved by my vet btw. He was super impressed.

This is however a subject that causes quite heated debate. I suggest people do their own research and make up their own minds.

I understand equine dentistry and have removed the word clean since I shouldn't have written in it- Sometimes I am a an epic dill. I was getting too excited about what I have recently learnt about equine gingival disease and what the equine dentist here in NSW is doing to try and promote awareness!

I agree that your dog is a case where medical management is the only option. But I also recognise that for the majority of the canine population this is not the case.

I have assisted with a dental on an 19yr old dog!! his anaesthetic was carefully monitored (by me), nerve blocks were used so that the dose of anaesthesia required was less (the lightest plane possible to keep him unconscious and comfortable), he was on a low rate of fluids before the operation and through the procedure and he recovered in his mums and my arms within 20mintues!! He has only had 1 tooth removed (fractured and removed a few years ago) in his entire llfe. By doing dentals regularly it was quite a short procedure- full oral check with probing under the gum around each tooth and clean and polish. From memory it had been 2yrs since his last dental and his teeth were brushed 4 times a week. He was so healthy and happy- and I do genuinely believe that having a healthy mouth was a big part of it. His birthday was the month after and they wanted him to have a comfortable mouth to celebrate and have his yummy meal with.

I strongly suggest my clients regularly brush their dogs teeth with a toothbrush and canine gel because this does help prevent dental disease and dramatically increase the length of time between dentals! My 9yr old required a dental at 5yrs of age and I am thinking she might need one in another year- so once every 5yrs because of bones and brushing to keep the gums and teeth happy.

They also use toothbrushing in zoo's with animals and it has proved useful to increase the length of time between dental procedures being done. They are quite happy to have the cue 'open mouth' and have an electric toothbrush used!!

I also encourage people to do their own research- please make sure that you actually do research the possible downsides of this procedure because there is plenty out there (because it is easy to forget to research that aspect when trying to find out more information). That is why all Veterinary Dental associations that I have seen world wide have warnings!

Edited by Jumabaar

You are obviously passionate about the subject. Edit your own posts however you like but don't edit mine! Your editing has now made it look like I've said the incorrect thing.

Apologies- I edited because it was an incorrect statement and do try to only have factual information so thank you for the heads up about my error. I am not trying to 'hide' it, I am trying to ensure that if someone random comes across this page that they do have the opportunity to receive the correct information. It still appears in your post because you have quoted me and I did acknowledge that I am a Dill :p because I was!

I am passionate because I have seen lots of dental disease and know how much it impacts on an animals entire life. Also easy because I have spent time with a Veterinary Dentist and seen the 'after' of well meaning dental treatment gone wrong. Everyone certainly has the right to make their own decision but please understand that as with all services there is a certain degree of highlighting the favourable aspects (like what I am doing myself) and downplaying the negatives.

I don't consider any general anaesthetic 'routine' and recommending them to my clients and for my own dogs but ultimately quality of life is my main objective so an anaesthetic for a dental is something that I suggest on a regular basis. I take the time to help owners to train their dogs to have their teeth brushed just as often. I don't even perform dentals so my clinic pretty much loses money every time I suggest it over just management!

I personally wouldn't use this. Maddie's teeth are rank, she has a full dental once a year under GA and while I loathe putting her under she really needs it done properly for her overall health.

Edited by HazyWal

There is a difference bettween having it fully done under GA and having this done. However, I would say having these frequently probably means that one with GA is not necessary until much later in life and definitely less frequent. So with home care (ie. bones and/or toothbrushing) i feel these would be a useful part of a dental regime.

Also be careful scaling them yourselves- when done under GA, they are done with the scaler, but then buffed smooth again. Scaling them with the pick type instruments leaves small grooves in the teeth that make it easier for more tartar to stick next time around :( Unfortunately with teeth its a never ending cycle.

A lot of racing greyhounds have bad teeth. When Maddie came to me at 2 years of age her teeth were green, I've tried the brushing, scaling, the liquids, daily bones you name it it does nothing for her.

Perhaps though if she had access to early dental care things might be different?

I think this looks fab as a prophylactic measure.

There is a difference bettween having it fully done under GA and having this done. However, I would say having these frequently probably means that one with GA is not necessary until much later in life and definitely less frequent. So with home care (ie. bones and/or toothbrushing) i feel these would be a useful part of a dental regime.

Also be careful scaling them yourselves- when done under GA, they are done with the scaler, but then buffed smooth again. Scaling them with the pick type instruments leaves small grooves in the teeth that make it easier for more tartar to stick next time around :( Unfortunately with teeth its a never ending cycle.

My dog is terminally sick so I really don't need to be concerned about things like this.

The ONLY reason I mentioned it was because people were asking about the dogs staying still.

AND my vet approves.

The grooves is why I suggest brushing rather than scaling. I have not really found scaling awake necessary when the teeth are being brushed because there is very little build up of plaque.

Brushing can certainly result in completely healthy teeth for longer- prevention is better and cheaper than cure!!

Guest hankodie

I've been waiting for this kind of service in Australia, like Jules I also have a dog that can't go under aenesthetic. Does anyone know if they offer this anywhere in Nsw?

I've been waiting for this kind of service in Australia, like Jules I also have a dog that can't go under aenesthetic. Does anyone know if they offer this anywhere in Nsw?

contact them. I think I read somewhere that they said if they get enough requests for appointments they'll travel.

My dog is terminally sick so I really don't need to be concerned about things like this.

The ONLY reason I mentioned it was because people were asking about the dogs staying still.

AND my vet approves.

Thats really good for you :thumbsup:

However, I wasn't directing that at you. That was general information for other people who are reading and contributing to the 610 views this post has had.

ETA: fix spelling :o

Edited by denali

AND my vet approves.

However, I wasn't directing that at you. That was general information for other people who are reading and contributing to the 610 views this post has had.

WTF? It is good my dog is sick?

A lot of racing greyhounds have bad teeth. When Maddie came to me at 2 years of age her teeth were green, I've tried the brushing, scaling, the liquids, daily bones you name it it does nothing for her.

Perhaps though if she had access to early dental care things might be different?

For some yes but for her highly unlikely. Stan has never required a dental, his teeth are a little discoloured but not enough to warrant a dental yet. They eat the same things yet hers are terrible and his are fine :shrug: I've been told shit teeth can be genetic but I don't know if that's true or not. I've had both my greys on the table having a quick scale at the vets without GA and neither of them care but to get right up the back and under the gumline would be impossible IMO.

AND my vet approves.

Jules, I'd say they'd be referring to the bit about your vet approving. No one would think it was good that Amber is sick.

Nope, I've had Idiot Dog since he was 13 weeks old and his teeth are terrible. He has always had deer antlers, cow hooves (and any other safe chewables I come across), brisket bones and was raised on a raw diet but some greyhounds just have really crap teeth. Idiot Dog had his first full scale and clean at 9 months old and has had them every six months since that- it makes no difference though- if you end up a a greyhound with a bad mouth, removal of the problem teeth is really the only permanent solution.

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on letting anyone scale my dogs' teeth without a GA and AB cover :shrug:

Jules, I'd say they'd be referring to the bit about your vet approving. No one would think it was good that Amber is sick.

Exactly what i was referring to BundyBurger :) Thank you.

Of course it's not good your dog is sick JulesP. I wouldn't wish that on anyone ever.

Sorry that you read it that way.

Nope, I've had Idiot Dog since he was 13 weeks old and his teeth are terrible. He has always had deer antlers, cow hooves (and any other safe chewables I come across), brisket bones and was raised on a raw diet but some greyhounds just have really crap teeth. Idiot Dog had his first full scale and clean at 9 months old and has had them every six months since that- it makes no difference though- if you end up a a greyhound with a bad mouth, removal of the problem teeth is really the only permanent solution.

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on letting anyone scale my dogs' teeth without a GA and AB cover :shrug:

I've found this also, dont know- must just be genetics :shrug: Same as humans I guess- some just have bad teeth. But the youngest of my 3 dogs, despite getting everything everyone else has, just has dirty teeth. He'll be needing a scale MUCH earlier in life than any of the others. henry is 5 and hasn't needed one- Deniki will probably need one twice in that time..

1414796518[/url]' post='6587501']

Teeth cleaning without a GA. Has anyone heard of this guy?

I need to have my boys teeth done and at 12 would be happy not to have to put him under a GA.

Also does anyone have any ball park idea of the usual cost of a basic teeth clean (no other work needed - just a clean) at the Vet?

http://www.freshbrea...giedental.com/.

Well apparently the same guy that runs the dog dental that you mentioned above is a horse dentist as well, which makes me kind of suspicious, that and the poor wording on the websites. Even in the doggie website it doesn't mention any training in canine dentistry. confused.gif He specialties in equine dentistry. This is the spiel on a horse directory website.

I'd rather have my dogs get a proper dental done under GA.

ADVANCED EQUINE DENTAL

Brian Borg Equine Dentist started Advanced Equine Dental in the United States of America in Southern California where he lived for 27 years Brian was born in Australia and has now returned home to Victoria to continue his love and passion of Equine Dentistry bring with him the most Advanced and up to date techniques and equipment in the field of Equine Dentistry Brian Borg was considered one of the most highly skill Equine Dentists in the USA having taught at Cal Poly University Pre-Veterinarian school Brian Borg was also featured in a 5 part series on Equine Dentistry that aired throughout the USA. Brian has catered to Olympic training barns the horse racing industry to pony club riders, 3 day eventers, barrel racers to everyday pleasure riders .

Brian Borg Equine Dentist can be contacted by Mobile 0439 ***825 or 0439DENTAL

Website: www.advancedequinedental.com.au, email [email protected]

Edited by **Caz**