Feeding My New Puppy

Nackers

Mini gushing- I picked up my golden retriever puppy on Sunday and she is just the cutest thing out! Her name is Floss and she is so smart, and beautiful and happy....

But what I'm really after is a bit of info on feeding her. The breeder had the litter on supercoat puppy which I am happy to continue feeding, and a cooked mixture of chicken mince/veggies/pasta/rice, which I am not that happy to continue. The breeder was leaving dry food down all day for all puppies and feeding the meat mixture 3x a day.

Now I can't leave food out all day for Floss as I have another dog that would just eat it, plus a 2 year old that would probably have a go at it too! I started mixing the dry and meat mixture (from the breeder) together but I've found Floss just picks the meat out and isn't eating much dry food.

So after that essay! My question is can I just feed her dry food, with a bit of tough love- will she eventually start eating properly? Or should she be getting a mixture like those rolls/tin etc something a bit softer? How long can she go without eating much?

Another question- can she have soft bones eg chicken necks yet?

It's been a while since I've had a puppy and Ive never had a fussy one yet! Not that I really think she's fussy- just learning maybe?

Thanks!

Must admit to feeding puppies a bit like that lady - food is left adlib for the first few weeks - then there are several meals a day provided. We also use supercoat dry , which despite not being classed as a "good" food has grown our puppies well- provides puppies with the ingredients to produce little mini-log poos ..and keeps the weight nice.

They get chicken wings /lamb ribs ..and also BIG bones with lots of meat on, so they chew the meat off over a period of maybe a half hour :)

Your girl will get used to eating 3 or 4 times a day .. especially if one meal is a nice chicken wing - :)

( I don't use necks, as the shape of them scares me - they can be swallowed lengthwise and cause a blocked throat .)

She isn't fussy at all - just reacting to all the changes - and wondering why the food is different .

:)

Personally, I'd forget about the dry food and just feed her raw mince/small chunks of meat, chicken wings and necks. I also make up a mix of mince, minced veggies, eggs, cottage cheese and yoghurt to feed as one meal a day.

I also feed Vet's All Natural a couple of times a week mixed with raw meat.

Thank you for the replies.

At the moment I'm pretty happy with the dry food as the majority of her diet. With some goodies thrown in to keep things interesting.

My biggest concern is that she picks out the nice bits and doesn't really eat her dry food. I'm a bit worried she won't be getting all the correct nutrition a growing puppy needs.

Would it be best to just give her dry food and dry only for a while until she starts eating it? Or give her the benefit of the doubt that she is an 8 week old puppy that has just moved to a completely new place and she's still adjusting and I'm just being a stress head! Haha

I'm so worried in going to 'stuff her up' and she won't grow properly or she will be unhealthy :(

If you want to feed dry, and the pup is doing well on it, then feed dry. :)

Maybe give the more 'interesting' bits as training treats, or treats for general good behaviour etc rather than as part of the meal? Or as a separate meal. So that she doesn't pick them out and leave the dry.

2 of mine get primarily dry :) Diesel gets raw because he had bloat a couple of years ago.

If I was going to raise a pup on predominantly dry food, I'd be feeding a better quality dry than Supercoat. My guess is she'll find a better quality dry more palatable too.

I think dry and raw meaty bones like chicken wings is fine to raise a pup.

I agree with Haredown Whippets, if you want to feed predominently dry food make it a good quality one. Even though they are more expensive you generally don't need to feed them as much to get the right nutrients as they don't have as many fillers as the cheaper brands. I would also be wetting it down so that you know she's injesting enough water to help the dry food swell and soften in her tummy :).

So I have been looking into different dry foods and I agree that supercoat probably isn't the best option. It's pribably not the worst though either. I live in a small country town where pretty much everyone feeds either pedigree or bonnie. Here supercoat is the expensive food!

Has anyone ever used online pet food shops? And can recommend one that isn't going to cost me an arms and a leg postage?

I think I will stick with the dry and her main food, but supplement with meaty bones etc. thanks for all your help and reassurance!

• 3 weeks later...

Bonnie Puppy is better value than Supercoat - and pretty much the same formula (except I think the Bonnie has some kangaroo in the mix) - I used to feed litters of rescue pups on Bonnie puppy wih no problems.

However, if you can get it, I'd probably go for Royal Canin. Yet to find a pup who has turned their nose up at it... I used to feed poorly pups with Royal Canin Junior, and they thrived on it.

T.