Abandoned Dog

DogzRule

If she paid large amounts of $$ for a large guarding breed, but is still not comfortable enough to stay in the house that it is ostensibly guarding, then she may feel threatened by seriously dangerous elements of society.

Bottom line, you want to be able to help the dog. You can't do that if you yourself are under threat, and she does know where you live. She must agree that you be allowed to adopt the dog.

I would advise that you contact her, say that you can no longer look after someone else's dog (cite desexing costs etc. perhaps) and if she cannot collect it within 48 hours or sign it over to you ($200 is a reasonable offer, given the length of time you have been boarding him) then you will have notify the impound authorities.

It will be your decision, and I agree that the dog was abandoned BEFORE you came to the agreement with her to help out, but you have made that agreement and it needs to be terminated before you can have a chance to adopt the dog.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be worried about looking after such a valuable pup under these arrangements. What happens if it gets sick, who pays? Who's responsible. She needs to take it or sign it over to you. If it's so valuable how come she just left it?

I may be right off track ,but something doesn't add up here ! Could the dog be stolen by neighbor ? Just thinking if she paid $3000 for it only to then abandon it ,seems crazy .I know valuable dogs are frequently stolen to order by certain types over here .I get the feeling she is using you ,knows where you live and wants an aggressive dog .I know exactly where you're coming from...Ive often got myself in situation trying to do the right thing for an animal. However I think it could turn nasty ,anyone who could leave a dog abandoned in that way is a dodgy character .IMO the dog could be stolen...So hope I'm wrong OP .

My question you say the house is empty...is that just of people? What is about that house next door that requires a guard dog? how do you live somewhere else but pay so much for a dog to live away from you? Makes no sense to me...nor would I want to know I would personally just advise her it is not wise to leave a dog unattended (perhaps remind her of the alleged recent rise of dognappers)maybe she will see the need to either rehome or take care of the dog at her new residence.

Edited by redangel

I think we may be jumping into the realms of fantasy here along with the dogs owner :)

Unless you can see a receipt for this dog that states it cost $3000 I would not be believing any of it. No one leaves a dog that cost that much alone in an empty house or with a neighbour on a loose arrangement.

Does she seem the type of person who would have $3000 to spend on a dog ? Its not sounding that way to me.

I say call her bluff & offer low.

Take the dog to the vet, explain the situation and see if they will actually confirm the address on the chip if there is one. I am sure they won't tell you the name of the person (unless they have to leave the room and inadvertently leave the computer screen open :D :D ).

Not a nice situation to be in when all you care about is the dog's welfare.

The people at the Shoalhaven Shelter may be able to help in this regard.

Good luck.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling