A N K C Now Recognises Lure Coursing

Kirislin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! My guys, Kelpie and Kelpie X have only had a couple of goes, but love it! (Actually my boy, usually very chilled and runs on 'island time', can't get enough lure coursing, he turns into a crazed hyper mad beas about it! :eek: )

SSM, do you know when the next fun day is planned? And I'm assuming Sydney is where all the events in nsw are held?

Very disappointing about the breed restriction. The Great Dane was bred as an independent working hunting dog, we will just have to enjoy it as a fun activity. This is a photo of a past Dane when she was mature Lure Coursing, she was fit and healthy and enjoyed it.

Hunting is not coursing tho'. Danes were used to hunt a variety of species, and only one that I can think of is a coursed species as well (deer).

Is Lure coursing not the act of chasing prey and catching it on speed and sight i.e. what a sightound does? I may have the completely wrong end of the stick...

Very disappointing about the breed restriction. The Great Dane was bred as an independent working hunting dog, we will just have to enjoy it as a fun activity. This is a photo of a past Dane when she was mature Lure Coursing, she was fit and healthy and enjoyed it.

Hunting is not coursing tho'. Danes were used to hunt a variety of species, and only one that I can think of is a coursed species as well (deer).

Is Lure coursing not the act of chasing prey and catching it on speed and sight i.e. what a sightound does? I may have the completely wrong end of the stick...

Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, the Great Dane was a pack hunting dog bred to chase down and kill wild boar using scent and finally sight. Given the habitat of wild boar (forest) the use of scent as the primary hunting sense by dogs for boar hunting is unsurprising. Certainly the head shape of the Dane facilitates the use of scent for hunting. Noting the ferocious reputation and armoury of a wild boar, the size and courage of the Great Dane was formidable. There is definitely an argument that Danes belong in the Hound group (plenty of online discussion of that) but I've never seen a suggestion before that they should be categorised as a sighthound.

By contrast traditional coursing breeds were bred to hunt by sight alone, released onto prey once it was sighted by the hunter and taking that prey on open ground. I think this is quite different to pack hunting by scent. Certainly the shape of a sighthound is unique in the dog world with most sighthounds developed for speeds unparalleled by other breeds.

I think its commendable that a sport taken to the ANKC by largely sighthound people has provided space for all breeds to participate via Coursing Ability Titles. That inclusiveness is unique among the "function" sports. My sincere hope is that this may grow a new appreciation and ownership group for the sighthounds as people get bitten by the coursing bug and look to those dogs breeds developed specifically for this kind of chase. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, the Great Dane was a pack hunting dog bred to chase down and kill wild boar using scent and finally sight. Given the habitat of wild boar (forest) the use of scent as the primary hunting sense by dogs for boar hunting is unsurprising. Certainly the head shape of the Dane facilitates the use of scent for hunting. Noting the ferocious reputation and armoury of a wild boar, the size and courage of the Great Dane was formidable. There is definitely an argument that Danes belong in the Hound group (plenty of online discussion of that) but I've never seen a suggestion before that they should be categorised as a sighthound.

By contrast traditional coursing breeds were bred to hunt by sight alone, released onto prey once it was sighted by the hunter and taking that prey on open ground. I think this is quite different to pack hunting by scent. Certainly the shape of a sighthound is unique in the dog world with most sighthounds developed for speeds unparalleled by other breeds.

I think its commendable that a sport taken to the ANKC by largely sighthound people has provided space for all breeds to participate via Coursing Ability Titles. That inclusiveness is unique among the "function" sports. My sincere hope is that this may grow a new appreciation and ownership group for the sighthounds as people get bitten by the coursing bug and look to those dogs breeds developed specifically for this kind of chase. :)

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

so yesterday I took Neko lure coursing for the first time. She's experienced with straight line drag lure chasing/racing, but never the bendies. She took to it immediately, and so did Arkey although I didn't get any shots of him. Bindi set us a safe course, just a big soft right hand circle but good to start on.

coming towards the first bend.

16478864412_9b8f0c30be_b.jpg5F6A7664_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

the first pulley and she took it in her stride. Cornering like a little motorbike!

16293571379_28918fcd5c_b.jpg5F6A7665_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

How's that for enthusiasm!! :D

16293930617_ca3a0d4262_b.jpg5F6A7667_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

and here's Belindas Pixie. I think she's 11 or 12 years old.

16292408500_52d7a9c74f_b.jpg5F6A7640_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

15859727703_ddb4413efb_b.jpg5F6A7642_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

16292135068_4ac36d525a_b.jpg5F6A7641_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

and Sprite, also owned by Belinda

15857308654_69305db0fe_b.jpg5F6A7659 by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

Any idea when competition will start through the VCA? How will it work, will a Lure Coursing Club have to be formed? Will they have experienced drivers, judges, course setters, stewards etc, and where will they come from? Aaaaah so many questions!! :laugh:

Where abouts in NSW is lure coursing done? I've always thought Zeus has sight hound in him somewhere as he is very motivated by movement and utilises his eyesight much more than his other senses. It looks fun!

DOGSNSW grounds - 44 Luddenham Rd, Orchard Hills (prev Erskine Park)

so yesterday I took Neko lure coursing for the first time. She's experienced with straight line drag lure chasing/racing, but never the bendies. She took to it immediately, and so did Arkey although I didn't get any shots of him. Bindi set us a safe course, just a big soft right hand circle but good to start on.

Look at little Neko go! Great shots and a really lovely one of Sprite :) Can't wait for the season to start here again next month :walkdog:

• 3 weeks later...

First meet of the season yesterday :D The course was 340m long and Poppy ran twice (with a good break in between) and ran like a pro - *cough* apart from the poo and pee stops! I'm hoping next time she goes the whole course without a toilet break :laugh:

A few pics taken by Photojemic Photography and Studio Joy.

DSC_0195-2.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

Look at those thigh and shoulder muscles! :D

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG