Just A Little Rant

Perfume

The point is that the breeder's ad specifically directs potential owners to their website. If they didn't mention their website it wouldn't be an issue!

Ditto!! It's bloody rude to direct people to a dead end!

Speaking only for myself, I see the point as what the breeders do with their dogs. And they're the people I want to speak directly to... if I want information.

Some have brilliantly maintained websites, others not. No doubt the first smoothes the way & gets a lot of basic information over, immediately. But I'm still willing to go past the less well maintained or designed website to a breeder him/herself.

Just on reflection, three of my beautifully bred & socialized purebreds came from breeders who were not madly into websites... but their reputation led me to them. Two others came from a breeder whose website was exemplary & whose dogs proved equally well bred & socialized. Which is why I won't waste energy on getting frustrated by websites... I save it for talking with breeders (if they're willing!) about their dogs.

perhaps breeders have more important things to do like caring for their dogs and raising the puppies. Ring or email and if you don't hear from them, move on

Raising one litter at a time does not take all day unless we're talking about multiple litters which, in my opinion, is wrong. If a breeder can't be arsed keeping her website up to date, don't have one and more importantly don't lead people up the mulberry bush.

Wow! Talk about rude! I'm not a breeder but I'm pretty darned sure that raising even one healthy litter can take all day -- especially if things like premature, singleton or caesarians occur. I'd personally prefer a breeder who takes the time out to look after her pups rather than have an awesome website; after all, not everyone can be amazing web designers. :/

Also, I'd be willing to bet that some of these breeders have quite possibly forgotten they've even got a website.

Perfume's OP talked about her frustration at being directed to a website that either didn't have the information stated...or was no longer in existence.

My point, speaking only for myself, is that there's more useful things to do than wasting energy on frustration. And the main one, in this case, is to directly speak to breeders (by phone or email), whatever the state (or even existence) of a website. My reason being, the bottom line is what a breeder actually does with his/ her dogs. That's where their quality rests. And the p/b dogs we've adopted bear that out.

Since I have a web design and IT background I feel qualified to weigh in.

I don't care what your website looks like - not everyone is a graphic designer.

But.

If you direct folks to your website, for pity's saje, keep it up to date. I don't care if you use flashing text, fluoro colours and include a blog written by your dog -- just have your contact information, your litter information and relevant dog information current and easy to find.

If you can't do that /- just skip the website altogether and stick to emsil or tel number. It's not that hard.

I agree with you mita but I think it takes a certain level of knowledge to be aware that that's an option. Perfume is gaining that knowledge being on DOL. I also think it takes some level of confidence that not everyone has if you haven't done it before and don't know what to ask.

Edited by Simply Grand

Perfume's OP talked about her frustration at being directed to a website that either didn't have the information stated...or was no longer in existence.

My point, speaking only for myself, is that there's more useful things to do than wasting energy on frustration. And the main one, in this case, is to directly speak to breeders (by phone or email), whatever the state (or even existence) of a website. My reason being, the bottom line is what a breeder actually does with his/ her dogs. That's where their quality rests. And the p/b dogs we've adopted bear that out.

Why would a breeder mention their website in their ad if they don't have one/ haven't touched it for 10 years? Why not just say. "Call/email. For details"? It makes no sense...

Yep. I was quite intimidated about calling to enquire about puppies. I did everything I could online but after months of dead end ads and websites I bit the bullet and called the breed club in my state and got the ball rolling that way. Wish I'd done it earlier in the process, but at the same time, if I had I wouldn't have the dog I do now. She was born AFTER I called the breed club.

How on earth did we get by in the days before the internet!?? :laugh:

I imagine most breeders aren't overly tech savy and may have a friend of a friend who created and manages the website. Updating photos may seem trivial but realistically might not be. I imagine they still direct people to their website because in this day and age if you haven't got a website you're not worth dealing with, which is silly when it comes to dog breeders.

I cannot for the life of me understand why breeders who advertise on DOL state that they have photos of current litters on their website yet when you go to said website there are no photos of puppies, in fact you're met with the message that there are no pups available. This is so darn frustrating. In my opinion, if you have a website why not post photos of available puppies and even more so if you tell people to check website to view photos of available puppies when they know there are no such photos. What's worse is a fair few breeders no longer have a website yet it still appears on their ad.

I understand your frustration. If you advertise somewhere photos can be seen XXXXX, then make the effort to ensure they are actually there. If a breeder has an old website or does not/can not post photos up for what ever reason, remove the reference to it.

Like it or not - registered breeding is a "business" - even if you don't breed often etc. I use the term "business" as we are selling a product AND we are competing with other breeders for home for our pups and also the BYB, pet store etc. More so now with social media and the internet.

perhaps breeders have more important things to do like caring for their dogs and raising the puppies. Ring or email and if you don't hear from them, move on

Raising one litter at a time does not take all day unless we're talking about multiple litters which, in my opinion, is wrong. If a breeder can't be arsed keeping her website up to date, don't have one and more importantly don't lead people up the mulberry bush.

Wow! Talk about rude! I'm not a breeder but I'm pretty darned sure that raising even one healthy litter can take all day -- especially if things like premature, singleton or caesarians occur. I'd personally prefer a breeder who takes the time out to look after her pups rather than have an awesome website; after all, not everyone can be amazing web designers. :/

Also, I'd be willing to bet that some of these breeders have quite possibly forgotten they've even got a website.

River Star Aura

Um, if you are not a breeder, then how can you say this?? You have no knowledge/experience to call on with breeding and raising a litter.

I have had a number of bitches requiring C-sections, one with fading puppy syndrome where three pups died within 12 hours of each other around day three, other slow or sick puppies requiring feeds every 2 hours, one where I had to bottle feed the pups because of milk fever, not to mention other complications after a litter was born. I normally work full time and will take time off when a litter is born to attend to anything that arises. I have a busy normal life like many other breeders, so am not special there. I also have a fully functional and maintained website -again like a number of other breeders out there.

My website designed and maintained by myself through a hosting company. I have no background in graphic design or web design. I just sat down one year and learnt how to fly first Microsoft Frontpage and later Dreamweaver which is my current program of choice.

Having the 20 plus years breeding experience, I am qualified to say it does not take all day to raise a litter. The first few weeks can be rather hectic, especially if there are problems. It comes down to how organised the person is. Some people are not organised while others are very organised. Some people cannot even organise having pets let alone breeding. It's a personal choice.

Having a fully functional up to date website in the first place, DOES make it easier to update. Not a lot of work is required to update the "litter page" - even with one photo of the group of puppies, the DOB and how many of each sex. Most of it like the sire/dam/pedigree etc can be done before the litter is born - even when it is confirmed. Probably about 15 minutes to half an hour tops - even using those free web design pages.

However it is not the point here raised by the OP - the gripe and they are fair in saying this - if you don't have a functioal website, remove the link and just go back to phone/email. Simple.

Edited by Mystiqview

Website is a tool.... a very useful tool.... I agree with the frustration of the Original Poster - if a breeder has a website they should keep it up to date... (at least up to date for the month or so). If they are not prepared to then delete any reference to website on Dogzonline or any other advertising.... It is not that difficult but there are many who seem to be just lazy about their sites.

I have a complex site to advertise my business as well as the breeding - hosted by a commercial company that handles any bugs that come up... and costs only $395 per year and also allows me to have 5 emails under my web address which means if I want to move from Telstra I don't loose my email address. They also taught me how to manage the site and change and add info which is really cool.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives but often these are the problem as there is little if any help with issues... so often end up messy and slow.

Websites are a great way to help the public learn more about the various breeds and also a great way to promote the ANKC system of pedigree dogs... It is important that the breeders get more website savvy to combate the commercial breeders dominating the market in the future.

Have to say that the Dogs Vic website is shiiiite...

Why would a breeder mention their website in their ad if they don't have one/ haven't touched it for 10 years? Why not just say. "Call/email. For details"? It makes no sense...

Exactly. Don't specify a website if it isn't current.

Really? Rude? I didn't see it that way but "ring or email and if you don't hear from them move on" I find a tad rude. People wait years sometimes for particular breeds, they try to do the right thing like joining a purebred dog forum, asking questions, researching breeders that they hope are reputable and are going to give them the best shot at a healthy pup. Some people bust their butts to do the right thing and if a breeder as the OP put it "can't be arsed" then yes some peeps WILL move on...to Gumtree, BYB's etc. :shrug:

I admit I was concerned about my rant, thought I'd be torn to shreds but instead I found a level of understanding I didn't quite expect. Thank you so much to each and every one of you who understood my plight and frustration. :grouphug: