Gorgeous Pup

Perfume

I don't see a problem with being interested in 3 different breeds.

I'd like my next dog to be a lab, border collie or Belgian shepherd. All pretty different but I think I could live with all of them (not all at once of course!)

Although they all rate highly for trainability

All the dogs the op is interested require a sensitive approach to training so it looks like they are prepared for a challenge.

It's difficult to say whether missing insciors are an issue but probably safer not to take the pup if there are any doubts

I also have more than one breed I would potentially own, all very different. Before buying my first Whippet I had three very different breeds on my potential dog list. I also have owned some very different breeds to what I own now quite successfully.

As a pet pup missing incisors are not an issue as long as there are no other issues as Wreck it already said. I would look at the whole picture and the temperament and go from there.

Might be worth asking if you can have an independent vet check before you commit?

If you offer to pay and have a proper look over by a vet (and resist falling in love) that might help. I would worry about other issues too, tbh.

I've had different breeds in the past myself, all very different from each other and found it a walk in the park. I've owned a Golden Retriever, a Doberman, German Shepherd, Boxer, Cavalier, Chihuahua, Border Collie, Papillon and a Rough Collie. All lived to a ripe old age except for the Doberman who passed away to Cancer at age 9 and my Golden Retriever who passed away at 12 years of age to pancreatic cancer. The Boxer was a rescue, I never did know his exact age, he may have been 3-4 years old, he stayed with me for 7 years until he passed away. :cry:

Edited by Perfume

Well if its not to be shown do the teeth really matter ?.

Many people purchase pups like this as pets. I can not see that there would be any problems. :)

agree - however - if teeth are present , but have not descended ? That would be an extra problem./expense an owner could well do without , I think .....

Many people purchase pups like this as pets. I can not see that there would be any problems. :)

agree - however - if teeth are present , but have not descended ? That would be an extra problem./expense an owner could well do without , I think .....

This is the sort of fault that I would be concerned about. A kinky tail or the wrong ear set = no problems for a pet. But actual physical things would bother me, so much can go wrong with them as it is.

This is the sort of fault that I would be concerned about. A kinky tail or the wrong ear set = no problems for a pet. But actual physical things would bother me, so much can go wrong with them as it is.

if a jaw was not big enough .. or the baby teeth were lying the wrong way in bone .. *shrugs* No idea if/how often this happens - but I would not buy a pup as described ...

Might be worth asking if you can have an independent vet check before you commit?

If you offer to pay and have a proper look over by a vet (and resist falling in love) that might help. I would worry about other issues too, tbh.

I agree; consult an independent vet before you make any decision.

I sourced a great breeder when looking for a male chocolate labrador retriever more than three years ago. She had a litter that was ready to go and a litter that was due in a few weeks. We put our name down for the litter yet to be born.

On the night of the whelping we got an email that we were getting the only male puppy; we were ecstatic. The puppies had an initial vet check and then again at six week they had another vet check - the entire litter had a very small over shot jaw that was found on the second vet check.

After a great deal of research we were informed that the overshot jaw was minimal and may or may not self correct by about six months of age. We decided to go ahead with the purchase given that he was never intended for conformation showing and we had the time and resources to care for him if he needed care. Three years on, our boy still has his minimally overshot jaw which presents no major problems for him. We take him to our vet every six months to make sure his soft palate is okay because his bottom 'fangs' don't sit in front of the top 'fangs' - instead they both push into the soft palate to differing degrees making holes. We will do this for his entire life. If we happen to take him to the vet for other reasons, we still get the vet to check his palate so we can keep an eye on it.

It was a costly exercise for the breeder; the stud dog was one which she had imported and the pairing was a maiden pairing. After the diagnosis of the litter, he was desexed and sent off to live with the breeders adult daughter in Qld. She had invested a great deal of time, effort and money in introducing the dog to her breeding program and in the end it amounted to nothing.

If you're seriously considering purchasing this dog, make sure you are independently informed of its issues and how they may proceed into adulthood - so you can make an informed decision about whether or not you can meet its needs.

What of the entire bite is 'off' because of a lack of teeth?

:(

Their are plenty of Champions out their with missing teeth. :)

Missing teeth does not mean much in SOME Toy breeds. In some breeds where missing teeth are a breed fault, yes. It won't stop the dog eating.

We have dogs throughout the world with real bad mouths that live normal lives.

Many pups with teeth missing are usually sold as pets on the Limited register.