Fox Red Labrador

millie_the_lab

Hi Everyone! We are looking to get a friend for Millie the chocolate lab (currently 5 1/2 months old). We are on the search for another lab and interested in purchasing a golden 'fox red' coloured lab. Does anyone know of a breeder with fox red labs available in Australia?

i haven't come across a breeder of Red Fox's yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I would however urge you to wait another year at least before getting Millie a friend. Give Millie time to develop, mature to adulthood and into the best dog she can be before you add another one to the family. They are double the work when the older one is already mature and well trained; two puppies together is a recipe for a nightmare.

I have a well trained 3.5 yo choc boy and a 6 month old choc girl; there's not a day that goes by that i don't quietly thank myself for waiting until Norty brown dawg Wilbur was well trained and beginning to mature and settle down a little before introducing the pocket rocket into the family. My youngest daughter miss22 has been at me every year to get another since Wilbur was a year old, but i said no. One crazy puppy in the family is enough...a second one would only add to the level of crazy.

Wilbur's training has helped the puppy enormously as she models her behaviour from him and i spent three solid years training him...Train Millie and wait at least a year; your life will be much much easier.

i haven't come across a breeder of Red Fox's yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I would however urge you to wait another year at least before getting Millie a friend. Give Millie time to develop, mature to adulthood and into the best dog she can be before you add another one to the family. They are double the work when the older one is already mature and well trained; two puppies together is a recipe for a nightmare.

I have a well trained 3.5 yo choc boy and a 6 month old choc girl; there's not a day that goes by that i don't quietly thank myself for waiting until Norty brown dawg Wilbur was well trained and beginning to mature and settle down a little before introducing the pocket rocket into the family. My youngest daughter miss22 has been at me every year to get another since Wilbur was a year old, but i said no. One crazy puppy in the family is enough...a second one would only add to the level of crazy.

Wilbur's training has helped the puppy enormously as she models her behaviour from him and i spent three solid years training him...Train Millie and wait at least a year; your life will be much much easier.

Thanks Su. I agree with waiting until Millie is a bit older, we have a feeling it might take us a while to locate a fox brown colour so we would look now to see what we could find! I'm assuming that breeders will not be claiming to breed fox red labs as they are considered a shade of golden?

I think breeders will be open about saying that their yellows are Red Fox in shade especially since the shade is acceptable in the range of yellows. i did a quick Google of English breeders and the RF shade was openly discussed. I know a UK friend of mine has a Red Fox and he had no trouble finding a breeder over there; the lines were reintroduced in the 1980s

I think you're going to have a hard time finding the shade here in Aust (but good luck anyways). Perhaps make contact with yellow breeders and see if they have any leads. Finding someone who uses UK or US RF bloodlines might be your best bet; but i don't really know much about RF breeders here so can't really help you.

They must be here, I had this boy in care in 2004. I kick myself often that he didn't become a permanent

post-295-0-51203000-1422267415_thumb.jpg

The Red Fox colour lines are in the UK lines too Tara. smile.gif

This looks like a chocolate with a faded coat to me?

• Like 1

They must be here, I had this boy in care in 2004. I kick myself often that he didn't become a permanent

post-295-0-51203000-1422267415_thumb.jpg

The Red Fox colour lines are in the UK lines too Tara. smile.gif

This looks like a chocolate with a faded coat to me?

looks like he has chocolate points :)

we wanted a fox red as well but at the end of the day wanted a pup more from the same breeder our 1st one came from.

when you enquire with breeders talk about dark yellow - leaning towards fox red.

We got the darkest yellow pup (his breeder has no fr running through bloodlines) and were told normally her buyers are going for the lightest yellows in the litter, which made me think give it a year and people will be looking for dark yellow / fox red pups. Some of the American field labs have gorgeous dark yellow / fr coats

tapua those pups look lovely!