New Zealand

gapvic

Hi all,

Just got back from an amazing ten days driving around the South Island of NZ. I've never been before and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how completely stunning it is. Planning a return trip in late Autumn/early Winter 2016. If you've not been, all I can say is GO! :D

Here is just a very small selection of the 100's of images I took :)

16751730878_f74604a513_c.jpg

16938093752_ace2e71bb6_c.jpg

16732063817_d8fb57fb3c_c.jpg

16751716948_2de0a4b26d_c.jpg

South Island of New Zealand is one of the most magical places for scenery.

Its Fiorland area easily matches that of Norway.

The fast running rivers ( used on the Hydro Scheme) match rivers in Canada.

The area of Arrowtown and Queenstown are better than any of the lochs of Scotland.

I'll not even comment on the buildings! Christchurch makes you think you've transported to England.

Beautiful country.

Lived there as a child & teenager. Have wonderful memories.

:heart:

Gorgeous photos! Every time I take a road trip anywhere I am just blown away by how beautiful the SI is! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

To this day, one of the very very BEST road trips I have ever done is this one:

http://www.newzealand.com/int/trips-and-driving-itineraries/south-island/queenstown-to-christchurch-via-mount-cook/

I prefer the trip in reverse out of Christchurch. I do not always detour via Mount Cook either.

Years back, when State Highway 8 was not entirely 'modern', I can still recall coming around some corner and being 'hit' by the smell of wild mint. The mint was being feed by the icy cold waters of rippling tiny streams.

Never EVER forgotten that.

Also we used ski Mount Hutt before it became fashionable.

:heart:

We did that drive too VislaMomma and it was stunning. I was unable to got any accommodation around Wanaka so we ended up down at Twizel. We had hoped to go to Mt Cook the next day and I got up at dawn to photograph the mountain over the lake but sadly the weather was terrible - it was the only day of rain we had. I sat at Peter's Lookout for an hour hoping for some miracle that would allow the sun to poke through but it wasn't to be. Not to worry, it's on my (long) list for next time :)

Yep - gorgeous place, love the Marlborough Sounds most, spent holidays there for many years in a small boat, just glorious, you can never see it all.

The ONLY things I miss about NZ is the majesty of the SI and the clear rivers.

Wow, Gapvic, some stunning pics in there, you must be really pleased :thumbsup:

I'm not a great flyer but I reckon I could manage the trip to NZ. South Island is now on my 'to do' list when ny youngest has grown up a bit. A road trip with a grumpy 10 year old doesn't seem like it would be too much fun :D

We did that drive too VislaMomma and it was stunning. I was unable to got any accommodation around Wanaka so we ended up down at Twizel. We had hoped to go to Mt Cook the next day and I got up at dawn to photograph the mountain over the lake but sadly the weather was terrible - it was the only day of rain we had. I sat at Peter's Lookout for an hour hoping for some miracle that would allow the sun to poke through but it wasn't to be. Not to worry, it's on my (long) list for next time :)

Aoraki ( Mt cook) is oft covered in cloud. A very mysterious and amazing sight to behold in the early dawn or as the sun hits the Alps.

I am thrilled you did that drive.

It's the epitome of the South Island in my book.

The country around Queenstown/Arrowtown and what you may have heard called The MacKenize High Country is beauty on earth.... even in the chills of winter.

:D

Edited by VizslaMomma

Absolutely stunning photos, I could only dream to take photos this good.

My Husband is from Christchurch, unfortunately each time we go most of the time is spent catching up with family. So not much site seeing.