Dog Walking Shoes

ari.g

I walk my dogs through wet grass nearly every day, so wet shoes and wet socks. The shoes are left out to dry every day. I have gone through a number of pairs of sneakers in the last year due to the shoe coming away from the sole. I usually shoe goo it back together a few times and then throw them out (or give them to the dogs to play with). Apart from getting sick of buying sneakers to walk the dog, once it starts getting colder it will also mean cold tooties!

What shoes do people walk their dog in? I was thinking gum boots but my mum said they will be uncomfortable walking any sort of distance in.

Recommendations please :)

Guest Clover

Do you buy decent runners? I have learnt now to go for decent shoes and not cheapo ones.

I am also on the hunt for both runners and hiking shoes at the moment.

Yes I wear waterproof (gortex) hiking runners - my current brand/style aren't made anymore so I'm searching for my next pair. I wear them for walking and agility - warm, dry feet are blissful! I bought a few pairs in the US when the $ was good so now I have to face up to local prices.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I have bought decent runners previously and yes, they do last longer than the cheapo ones. I also usually have 2 pairs of runners and alternate between them each day so they dry out properly.

Maybe I will just bite the bullet and try a pair of waterproof hiking shoes.

We wore leather work boots at the shelter, they held up well being worn 8 hours a day every day in all weather. Not waterproof though, in the rain your feet get wet although I think you can get waterproofing spray for leather that might help.

They do take a month or so to properly break in and are uncomfortable for that time but once they are broken in they are super comfy.

Probably not as good impact protection etc as hiking shoes though.

Mr TSD and I are arguing the point...he's gone to check whilst I finish a glass of wine....ha ha! He just got the wrong pair :laugh: Back he goes...

And the winner is...ME!!!!!! :rofl:

North Face Hedgehog :D

:laugh:

Admittedly, my walk is more of a slow plod with 4 elderlies and I wear my gardening shoes (Sloggers) with socks. They are backless so I don't think they'd be any good if your walk was more of a run and play. But you can get full shoes in the same brand. I love mine as they just sit on the deck and I can slip them on easily and go ...... and arrive home with dry feet.

Or maybe even ankle height wellies.

Some time ago when I went to Tasmania I bought a pair of Rockport XCS and they were brilliant. Even after walking through snow and very wet undergrowth, my feet would still be dry and warm. I used to wear them in winter when I was a volunteer dog walker at a pound. Great shoes which show absolutely no signs of wear on the soles.

These are brilliant, I wear them everywhere in cooler months or wet weather, they have goretex for rain proofing. Shop around as the prices listed below are way more expensive that you can get them for.

http://www.merrellaustralia.com.au/mens-moab-ventilator-gtx-walnut

http://www.merrellaustralia.com.au/womens-moab-gtx-alumniummarlin

or go to any of the good outdoor stores and buy some gore-tex trail runners. Scarpa and LaSportiva also make excellent versions.

Something like Blundstone's (I have a pair for yard work), Simply Grand? Or something lace up?

Mine are Redback steel cap lace ups but we had the choice of lace up or slip on (elastic sides), some people chose slip on.

Edited by Simply Grand

i had the same problem so last year went to katmandu and bought waterproof boots, they give you legs more support aswell , i walk on alot of uneven ground and they really help. i was paying over $200 for a pair of trainers that were only lasting a few months these still look new.

OH & I wear our gum boots for our morning walk. We even do our agility training in them. Best to wear a good pair of socks underneath. Most of our walks around the farm with the dogs, we have gum boots on because of snakes. But apart from that, I agree, with some good hiking boots. I bought mine from Kathmandu & even though they are not waterproof, they are designed to dry out really quickly. I also have a pair of waterproof socks (SealskinzWater Proof Socks)