Dog Mats For Camping? Advice Sought.

Yonjuro

Hi all,

I thought I would ask the brains trust here for some ideas for a good quality dog mat/bed for winter camping trips. Ronin is starting dryland mushing this winter and there are a number of camps. He will be sleeping in the sheltered vestibule of my tent, it will be sheltered from the rain, but think it is wise to have a water resistant base.

I will not have the room to bring his Kuranda bed, but he likes his Snooza futon and Mutt Mats mats inside, or just the ground to sleep on when inside. Think something with just a bit more padding than the two previous mentioned mats, but space will be a premium so I don't want and super thick mattress.

I don't mind spending the $ on something that is quality and practical as it will see a lot of use.

Thanks in advance... :)

For this that don't know, Ronin is a Siberian Husky of around 27kg :-) so 24x36" - 60 x 90cm beds will be okay

Ours just sleep on our inflatable mattress or on the blankie next to us...haha.

We have a bigger tent for them and us though.

LOL, won't work for me when I have the family, plus Ronin will try and dig me out of my ridiculously expensive down sleeping bag for sure :laugh:

I've seen some round fold up dog camp beds floating around pet stores recently, of course I can't for the life of me find them on the internet now :p

They'd be big enough for Ronin and keep him off the ground.

We stick with the el'cheapo kmart pet beds for camping but ours weigh about 25kgs combined and we usually wait for the good weather to go camping. :)

What about a foldable trampoline dog bed? Something like this - http://www.d4dogz.com.au/catalog/breezy-bunk-foldable-dog-bed-small-p-5663.htmlTo get him off the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I think the nature of the slant in the vestibule combined with the height of a raised bed may be problematic. But will defo keep in mind :)

I've seen some round fold up dog camp beds floating around pet stores recently, of course I can't for the life of me find them on the internet now :pThey'd be big enough for Ronin and keep him off the ground.We stick with the el'cheapo kmart pet beds for camping but ours weigh about 25kgs combined and we usually wait for the good weather to go camping. :)

The one below is looking the best I have found thus far

http://www.ruffwear.com/Highlands-Bed?sc=2&category=17

I've got this for the back of the car and used it when we go camping in the tent or outside.

http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/afp-outdoor-camp-mat-orange-medium-83x68cm-p-22079

I've got it in violent green, but the coloured side is ripstip and waterproof and the other side is fleece. Easy to wash, easy to pack up and my relatively fussy Max loves it :) I think you can get slightly bigger though for a husky!

I like theses ones, they dry very fast and have washed well, snooza futons travel well too. Camp mats

I've got this for the back of the car and used it when we go camping in the tent or outside.http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/afp-outdoor-camp-mat-orange-medium-83x68cm-p-22079I've got it in violent green, but the coloured side is ripstip and waterproof and the other side is fleece. Easy to wash, easy to pack up and my relatively fussy Max loves it :) I think you can get slightly bigger though for a husky!

Thanks guys, these do look good, will have to check em out :thumbsup:

I brought both my BC'S Purina Pet life raised round collapsible dog beds. They are terrific. Best beds ever for camping. We caravan quite a bit so ours get plenty of use.

Both my guys love them. They keep them off the cold ground in winter (they are an elevated stretcher bed) & they are very comfy in summer. We put them up in our annex. Easy to pack as they fold up & they come with there on travel bag. They are relatively light weight which is a bonus when travelling & very easy to keep clean with a quick wipe over.

Great beds. Highly recommend them ☺

Edited by BC Crazy

Zig is a lad of high comfort requirements :D Snooza D1000 plus a warm crate mat and a self-warming heat pad (both from Clean Run). With his Hurrta winter coat and sometimes a pet sleeping bag over the top he gets through some very, very cold nights. Em sleeps under my doona. Best hot water bottle ever :laugh:

F4D0BC9E-2033-489B-99E8-4E3015CA14F3_zpsei9gvmhg.jpg

I brought both my BC'S Purina Pet life raised round collapsible dog beds. They are terrific. Best beds ever for camping. We caravan quite a bit so ours get plenty of use.Both my guys love them. They keep them off the cold ground in winter (they are an elevated stretcher bed) & they are very comfy in summer. We put them up in our annex. Easy to pack as they fold up & they come with there on travel bag. They are relatively light weight which is a bonus when travelling & very easy to keep clean with a quick wipe over.Great beds. Highly recommend them ☺

Great thanks :)

Zig is a lad of high comfort requirements :D Snooza D1000 plus a warm crate mat and a self-warming heat pad (both from Clean Run). With his Hurrta winter coat and sometimes a pet sleeping bag over the top he gets through some very, very cold nights. Em sleeps under my doona. Best hot water bottle ever :laugh: F4D0BC9E-2033-489B-99E8-4E3015CA14F3_zpsei9gvmhg.jpg

Hahaha :thumbsup: I like your style :) At least the cold is not something I need to worry about with Ronin :)

What about a yoga/exercise mat?

Thanks, that could work with a futon on top :)

A crate with a crate mat?

If your vestibule is like the 1 on my tent, I would not leave an unsecured dog in it. There is no built in floor so they could easily push out of it.

Thanks Piper

I will be using a stake out :)