Uk Kennel Club Considering Pedigree Registry Of X-Breds

sandgrubber

KC report reveals plans for new crossbreed register

A document leaked to pedigreedogsexposed by an insider at the Kennel Club reveals that the KC plans to extend its register to provide ancestry data for all dogs, whether purebred or crossbreed.

The Kennel Club does, of course, already register crossbreed dogs on its Companion Dog Register, but this does not include pedigree data. This new move is the first step to a database which will allow people to track their dog's ancestry regardless of their dog's provenance.

The confidential report makes no bones about the likely opposition. "Many KC breeders feel very strongly that the KC should be the preserve of purebred dogs only," it says. "However, there is much to be gained from embracing responsibly-bred crossbreeds."

The report goes on to spell out the benefits:

it is important that the Kennel Club is seen as a modern, inclusive organisation, representing all dogs.

an increasing number of responsible cross-breeders produce health-tested puppies that deserve our support

pedigree/health-test information for crossbreeds is of clear value to both breeders and buyers.

an inclusive register detailing a dog's ancestry regardless of breed will be particularly useful in the outcross projects that are necessary in order for some breeds to survive.

registering crossbreeds will provide an additional revenue stream for the Kennel Club

The report even discusses the possibility of recommending that the conformation show-ring is opened up to the more recognised crossbreeds such as the Labradoodle and Cavapoo - but admits this may be for the future.

A company search reveals that the Kennel Club registered the Kennel Crossbreed Club as a limited company on 20th August 2008, suggesting the move has been on the cards for some time. This might mean that crossbreed dogs will be KCC-registered rather than KC-registered - a small sop perhaps to the many breeders who will object to the KC legitimising crossbreeds. I would imagine over time, however, that this is a distinction that will be lost.

The report finishes by stressing that the announcement will need to be handled with tact and diplomacy to prevent alienating core breeders.

The move is not a complete surprise. During a chat with KC Chairman, Steve Dean, on the way back from the recent DogHealth Workshop in Germany, Professor Dean mentioned the desire of the Kennel Club to be "more inclusive".

But may I be the first to offer my congratulations to the Kennel Club for this forward-thinking initiative. It's a bold move and makes sense - not something I say very often about the KC.

see http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/

Edited by sandgrubber

Hows about if people want to be "included" in what the KC does and stands for, they get themselves a pedigree animal, join and partake in exhibition and breeding. If not, then the KC is not the place for them.

The KC doesn't represent all, it's for recognised pedigree canines, their owners, breeders and their records.

There is nothing to be gained from recognising cross breds in any shape or form, they are just that and the pedigree gene pool has been raped to produce them.

It'll serve two purposes- a way for the kennel club to make some money out of crossbreeding (through registration fees) and a way for breeders of crossbred dogs to charge extra for their "papered" dogs.

I can't see how either of those things are good for dogs.

And yet, the KC, just before Crufts, said that breeders not part of their accredited breeder scheme were just like puppyfarmers. The want things both ways.

Actually, I think it was an April Fool's prank :D . Good to see I wasn't the only one who fell for it :)

And yet, the KC, just before Crufts, said that breeders not part of their accredited breeder scheme were just like puppyfarmers. The want things both ways.

Actually, I think it was an April Fool's prank :D . Good to see I wasn't the only one who fell for it :)

I hope it is an april fools "joke".

Edited by moosmum

Article in UK's Dog World magazine in October 2013 says where this came from.... & categorically says there's no such move.

Seems at a Kennel Club AGM, a question was asked if the KC intended to register crossbreeds. The President, speaking off the cuff, gave the impression the KC was asking itself this question. However, a vote taken was almost unanimous in squashing it:

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/101562/KC%20‘not%20considering%20recognition%20of%20crossbreeds'

Edited by mita

Lovely Great Dane bash there too.

I saw that and the Basset article too. Is what they are saying untrue? i sincerely hope so :(

I'd say the Dane and Basset articles are slanted, but basically true. Jemima Harrison tends to pick unflattering photos that make physical problems glaringly obvious and talk as though they apply to all show dogs in a breed. But IMO the tendency to reward exaggeration is real, especially for some breeds, and it has produced some unfortunate results.

I hope it is an april fools "joke".

This was not an April Fool's prank. This was a statement made by the KC Secretary Caroline Kisko. Despite saying she didn't liken those not in the scheme as puppyfarmers, I know UK breeders who clearly took it that way.

This was not an April Fool's prank. This was a statement made by the KC Secretary Caroline Kisko. Despite saying she didn't liken those not in the scheme as puppyfarmers, I know UK breeders who clearly took it that way.

Sheridan is correct. Latest blog post on PDE indicates KC is mailing breeder education stuff to X-breed owners on their Activities Register!

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2015/04/kc-mails-crossbreed-owners-urging-them.html

PDE = Jemima Harrison is confused by the event. Quoting from the blog

I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

Is it inappropriate pimping in a country where several thousand strays/unwanted dogs dogs are PTS every year?

Or is the KC is simply doing the right thing in trying to educate the pet or casual breeder before they willy-nilly breed their dogs? As it happens, I think well-educated pet breeders have much to offer and I don't think that breeding should be the sole preserve of show breeders.

Personally, I'm surprised that the extra-mercenary AKC hasn't done this first :)

The letter that was sent out is a hell of a long way off them registering the pedigrees of cross breeds as the OP suggests - Looks to me that all they are doing is sending mail out to those who may be thinking about breeding their own dog and directing them to their pure bred programs to be able to do it properly.