Mac's Last Days

westiemum

Yeah I agree DD - I'm sure Mac has had his last dental even though he could probably do with another one.

His grandma was here today so all three westies were in seventh heaven - they love it when she's here and they can spend the day with her lying all over her! And Mr Mac turned up his nose at his soaked dry food breakfast again this morning after I left for work - so of course she cooked him scrambled egg!! Apparently he had a very large serve!! Then turkey and rice for dinner - and some cheddar cheese for dessert! He's doing all right for an old fella! laugh.gif

I just saw this. Tempeh's favourite person in the whole wide world is grandma! She reserves all her full body wiggles especially for grandma and is just so excited she tries to eat her arms and crawls all over her. It is very funny given she normally goes for the cool approach. Here she is saying "oh yeah Grandma, that's the spot!"

post-33739-0-00563100-1432347412_thumb.jpg

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is wonderful news WM, the AB's seem to be the trick (and the blue cheese laugh.gif)

Onya Mac. thumbsup1.gif

Yep thanks Caz - these days whenever I'm in the supermarket I see what blue cheese is on special and buy it for him. If anything he's a bit underweight these days (unlike his 'mother' embarrass.gif) so he can basically have as much as he likes of whatever he likes - and of course blue cheese is top of his list!

The vet has come around to my way of thinking and has given me a new supply today. And at Mac's age an AB a day is a very good thing.

My first vet, a long time ago, used to say that the vet MUST listen to what a pet owner says. They are the ones who live with the pet and if they come in and say, there is something wrong ..... the vet must not dismiss it. One vet once told me I was "a neurotic mother." I had a very sick little dog who died at three and a half. :(

Off to ask Mr Google what Doxycycline is.

Go Mac Attack :winner: :winner: . I hope that figure reaches 50,000 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited to add this extract from Wiki: "It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, a list of the most important medications needed in a basic health system."

DD thats really interesting - its another of those old stand by drugs that work well obviously. The Amoxycillin he was on seemed to become less effective so a couple of months ago, the vet changed him over to Doxycycline. And he's done very well. I have a great team of vets so I'm never concerned who I see (and they all know him anyway!) - and last time I saw one of the regular locums who has a bit of a neuro bent - and she was great. She hinted that contrary to 'current best practice' he should probably be on ABs full-time now - and she gave me a bit over a months worth. I ran out last week so rang the vet and they gave me a couple of months supply. It seems that an AB a day and his cisapride/ranitidine combo is all it takes to keep Mac well and spritely for now. I know many would frown on it but at his age and given its not a surgical situation I think its a reasonable thing to do. thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

Yeah I agree DD - I'm sure Mac has had his last dental even though he could probably do with another one. His grandma was here today so all three westies were in seventh heaven - they love it when she's here and they can spend the day with her lying all over her! And Mr Mac turned up his nose at his soaked dry food breakfast again this morning after I left for work - so of course she cooked him scrambled egg!! Apparently he had a very large serve!! Then turkey and rice for dinner - and some cheddar cheese for dessert! He's doing all right for an old fella! laugh.gif
I just saw this. Tempeh's favourite person in the whole wide world is grandma! She reserves all her full body wiggles especially for grandma and is just so excited she tries to eat her arms and crawls all over her. It is very funny given she normally goes for the cool approach. Here she is saying "oh yeah Grandma, that's the spot!"
LG thats a fabulous photo!! Go Tempeh! Yes the westies get so excited when Grandma arrives - and she will be here two afternoons next week so they will be over the moon. Next week will be the 'big week' installing all the new cabinetry - so Grandma is going to 'supervise' the westies Tuesday and Thursday and they'll go to doggie daycare on Wednesday. So they'll have a wonderful week and that'll keep them out of the workman's hair as well. Edited by westiemum

I know many would frown on it but at his age and given its not a surgical situation I think its a reasonable thing to do. thumbsup1.gif

Could not agree with you more. Possible long term side affects of meds are not a consideration at our dogs' ages. Someone said something similar to me about Danny and I just said, at his age, I don't think we need worry. Their short term comfort and wellness is what it is about.

Did you see my last posts about Danny? Thank goodness cavNrott kept at me about ranitidine and I persuaded my vet to consider something different. So instead of three doses of .6ml of foul tasting liquid three times a day, he is now on .25ml of not so horrible liquid twice a day. The difference is astounding.

Similar to your experience with Mac, I sometimes have this spritely little ball of red fluff jumping around, humping Jeune, telling Bunter off, etc etc.

:laugh: :laugh:

I know many would frown on it but at his age and given its not a surgical situation I think its a reasonable thing to do. thumbsup1.gif

Could not agree with you more. Possible long term side affects of meds are not a consideration at our dogs' ages. Someone said something similar to me about Danny and I just said, at his age, I don't think we need worry. Their short term comfort and wellness is what it is about.

Did you see my last posts about Danny? Thank goodness cavNrott kept at me about ranitidine and I persuaded my vet to consider something different. So instead of three doses of .6ml of foul tasting liquid three times a day, he is now on .25ml of not so horrible liquid twice a day. The difference is astounding.

Similar to your experience with Mac, I sometimes have this spritely little ball of red fluff jumping around, humping Jeune, telling Bunter off, etc etc.

:laugh: :laugh:

Hmn... sorry DD I must have missed your last Danny post. Was it in another thread? But I couldn't agree more. I still have Mac's original bottle of liquid Zantac/ranitidine and if he seems to be having a hard time with reflux (very dangerous for a dog like him with an open airway), particularly overnight and needs topping up then I give him an adhoc dose - and it settles him really well. And means I get some sleep too! laugh.gif You hit it on the head - its all about comfort and quality of life for these oldies. And thank goodness for sensible, flexible vets - I'll always be grateful to mine - particularly when they see things my way!!biggrin.gif

It's good news that the li'l fella is doing well WM.

Imagine having a granny to take over the TLC when his mum takes a break...granny's are useful for Westie-wellbeing... and blue cheese of course

Thanks B and C - Yes the old fella is doing well - he's at doggy daycare today for the first time in a while and they all gushed over him - he is the oldest 'pack member' at doggy daycare and therefore attracts certain status and privileges - such as a grandpa nap in the staff room when he needs it. He'll sleep very well tonight!

And I'm convinced blue cheese is a medicinal secret weapon! 'Adelaide Blue' which is creamy and stinky is the favourite at the moment.

Edited by westiemum

I don't normally look in this section of the forum as even though it is 3 years since my 14 year old Schnauzer passed away, I always feel sad when people go through the same things, but...

What wonderful news that Mac is doing much better :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Blue Cheese hey... must remember that one :D

Ronin loves his Nana too, we are about to go over for dinner so he gets spoilt a bit :) Mum loves Ronin even when he gets excited and jumps up and scratches her paper thin skin... naughty boy!

Yep thank you Yonjuro - Mr Mac is home absolutely exhausted after his day at doggy daycare - the snoring is deafening!!! He has another day with his grandma looking after him and Sarah and Andy tomorrow - so it's a very full week

Its interesting - some friends were critical of giving Mac blue cheese when he was ill and wouldn't eat anything else. So I went and looked up the health benefits of blue cheese... and was surprised what I found: its a good source of protein for muscles (and Mr Mac certainly needs that!), it has anti-inflammatory effects, improves memory, fights arthritis (Mr Mac needs those too!) and osteoporosis - and its apparently even anti-cellulite!! laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif (thats for his mother!!).

So Mr Mac can have as much blue cheese as his little heart desires - and so can his mother! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update - Mr Mac is continuing to do really well - wobbly but still pottering around happily and the daily AB seems to be making a huge difference to his quality of life. He sent yesterday afternoon with his God-parents who he adores and slept really well through the night last night.

I also want to thank Gallomph and Little Gifts again for his gorgeous jumper, polar fleece and PJs which they all so kindly sent him last winter - he loves them, they keep his wobbly little old body warm and they are all still going strong. As he gets older he is getting thinner regardless of how much blue cheese he has! laugh.gif So his warmies make such as difference to him. Thank you both so much! flower.jpg

Sending love to mister mac. Several posts made so much sense to me, the ones i didnt get before, I get now.

He sounds like a stoic little trooper. Panto loved premium creamy vanilla jalna yoghurt, the pot set one.

Sending love to mister mac. Several posts made so much sense to me, the ones i didnt get before, I get now.

He sounds like a stoic little trooper. Panto loved premium creamy vanilla jalna yoghurt, the pot set one.

Ah Panto thank you - particularly today. I've just bought Mac the Farmers Union one as it has more calories than the Jalna!! So he's about to have thick set creamy Greek yoghurt with a hint of honey!! The things we do...