Crate Training The Older Dog

So were about to get a new puppy who needs to be crate trained as she is going to be shown although I want to crate train her regardless of this anyway. Due to this I would also like to crate train my 1.5yr old Cocker x Springer Spaniel (Shoot me down now I know this is a purebred only forum and shes not a purebred but she is the most divine dog and I wouldn't swap her for the world. I bought her thinking she was straight Springer but she didnt grow into what was expected....) so long story short I want to teach her to crate train so she can come to the shows with us and will handle the trailer, staying away at weekend country shows and I believe the puppy will crate train easier if the 1.5yr old is also in a crate instead of on the bed sleeping with us.

One of my worries is that she has access to water in the bedroom and gets up for a drink every night but obviously cant do this if she is in the crate? I know dogs can go for this long without water but just with her being use to having access to water at night im not sure what is best to do for her.

Next Questions:

When should I be putting puppy to bed (what time)? and taking her out in the morning for her first toilet trip? She has a play pen inside in the living room with a crate in with a bed and warm kersey wool rug it in it then a separate crate in our bedroom for at night.

If it is a metal crate you can get water bowls that clip on to the sides of it so it doesn't wet or interfere with floor space inside the closed crate.

I'm sure someone else will comment on the puppy issue but even if she goes to bed after her dinner she will probably need to come out for a pee break before you guys head to bed for the night.

How long before new puppy arrives, Willowlane?

I would not be wanting to train two dogs at once for crate training.

Life will be full on with just the puppy for a start.

You will then have the dynamics of the older dog having to deal with changes a plenty....

My dog always has access to water in his crate with this type of crate bowl.

I'd be interested to see a picture of your springer x. Are you sure it's not a working line springer, which can look a lot different to the tradition show sprinters?

My pups sleep in their crate in my bedroom so I can hear them when they get restless and I get up and take them out to the toilet and then they go back in their crate and I go back to bed. Doesn't take long for them to sleep through the night.

If your current dog is well-behaved and you are happy with her being on the bed then leave her be. By all means crate train her during the day when you have time. I have different rules for different dogs (because some take a mile when they are given an inch!) and none of them mind. I do the same with youngsters though - crate them next to my bed so I can hear them getting restless - it works a treat and everyone gets a good night's sleep. Puppies sleep in my house when they need to and go to bed with me when I do - every day is different!

So far the older dog has been a dream to crate train. A little whimpering occasionally through the night but other wise she's been an absolute gem. I got her a big soft crate and took it slowly with her and no problems at all :)

Im wary of having her on the bed as she can be a bit protective of me when she is on there and I dont want her going at the new puppy but she is also happiest on her.

Unfortunately Doggie doors are out of the question as we are on a rental property so we cant make those kind of changes

Totally agree with your plan to get your older dog used to a crate - but also agree that IMO it's not necessary to change her sleeping arrangements. As TSD says - they cope quite well with different rules for different dogs in that regard. My old girl loves her crate in the car, and when she's at a trial or show - and she sleeps in a crate when we're away staying in dog friendly accommodation - it's her indicator as to the fact that the place is 'home' for the time being. My 6 year old boy started his crate sleeping at his breeder's, and then coped brilliantly as a 10 week old with an overnight flight with a stopover, across the country. He still chooses to sleep most of the night in an airline crate next to my bed - although he can (and occasionally does) sleep on my bed if he wants to. It's quite funny, as I took the door off his night time crate about 2 years ago ... it's still his special den :D . (Unless the old girl decides that she wants his crate - in which case she gets the crate and he fits himself into her cuddler bed on the other side of my bed. :laugh: .)

As far as getting your older girl used to the crate - I'd start doing that now - it's good practice, and just do the same sort of thing you would for a puppy. Things like special treats in the crate, short time at first - gradually lengthen, door open at first. I actually add the practice of using a release word (OK in my case) to give permission to come out of the crate. It's the same thing I do for them to go to their food bowls, and exit the car etc.

You're going to have so much fun. And don't forget pictures are required ... both dogs.

Sounds like you are a very caring owner.

Makes me think I was hard on mine. I have two older small dogs who have been everywhere and competed in agility as well. So love crates. BUt they sleep loose at home mainly on the bed. Plus both were rescue so didn't come crate trained. Don't remember even knowing had to train them, I just started using them at dog training. Gradually they get used to it.

New kelpie pup was crated near my bed and I didn't even think of the two being on the bed while we did this. Puppy went in the crate late as I go to bed late and took her to the toilet when she made a noise, usually about 1-2am. AS she got older she was allowed to also sleep free range. Note I do have a doggy door.

She also has a crate in the lounge room where I feed her. All the dogs seem to cope when we are away plus overnight stays in their crates. Never a peep. Althou the kelpie had never been anywhere where she wasn't allowed inside. So first time at my parents they had to stay on a veranda. She thought the door shutting her out surely was a big mistake. Poor baby! But the fun on hols is worth it.

So no harm in both dogs being crated in order to both get to go to shows etc. But I'd probably decide now if both dogs are eventually going to be on the bed. If not , crate both. But if you will eventually let both on the bed I wouldn't bother changing the older dogs routine just cause pup is there.

I'd love to see your spaniel too. ? maybe he is just working bred.

Photo would be nice anyway. I'm puppyless now for a looong time!