Vulnerable Native Breeds (Uk)

_PL_

I'm sure everyone has done a bit of Sunday arvo googling about dog breeds :o Skye, Lakeland and Kerry :heart: you know... the 'one day' dream dogs.

Anyway, I ended up on wiki, then on the Kennel Club site....

There here;

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/finding-the-right-dog/vulnerable-native-breeds/

Is this right? That so many are just hanging on? Or is it that other registries are being used instead?

It's probably the same in other countries too and not a shock to some but seeing dogs fade away in their homeland is sad :( I had absolutely no idea.

Yep it's true for the Manchester, good to see numbers have almost doubled in the UK since 2010. The Manchester was very close to extinction. Some websites report that the numbers got down to just 11 registered in the UK.

It is surprising to see some on that list that you wouldn't really consider 'rare' though :(

By coincidence, I was just reading the history of Mary Queen of Scots. She was imprisoned & then beheaded by Queen Elizabeth 1, in 1587.

As the executioner held up her severed head, all witnesses were silent. Then 'one of Mary's favourite pets, a Skye Terrier, emerged from under her skirts where he'd ]been hiding 'and howled piteously, and would not leave the body of his mistress', Her ladies gathered him up & rushed him away to wash the blood off. He fretted so much he wouldn't eat & died soon after.

The little Skye Terrier was the only voice raised in great sorrow at the execution of the Queen of Scots.

He made his breed part of history.

Edited by mita

I had no idea bullys came in minature till i came here anyway, don't really see the point of them really. The standard size isn't on the list.

I am back next month and a friend breeds and shows borders, so will ask her about them diminishing.

It needs to be compared to what has grown alot in those years, to see what breeds people are favouring instead.

Stupid question but if they are "man made breeds" (as most purebred dogs are), then surely they could just be recreated in future if people wanted them (of course it will take a few generations, but they aren't really ever going to be extinct, as they were developed from a few base breeds in the first place?).

Stupid question but if they are "man made breeds" (as most purebred dogs are), then surely they could just be recreated in future if people wanted them (of course it will take a few generations, but they aren't really ever going to be extinct, as they were developed from a few base breeds in the first place?).

Oh if it was only that easy we would just be able to pluck a breed off the shelf and mate them and make or remake the required breed.

Not to mention that many of the breeds originally used to produce the now vulnerable breeds are themselves now extinct.

Oh if it was only that easy we would just be able to pluck a breed off the shelf and mate them and make or remake the required breed.

Not to mention that many of the breeds originally used to produce the now vulnerable breeds are themselves now extinct.

Great post!

By coincidence, I was just reading the history of Mary Queen of Scots. She was imprisoned & then beheaded by Queen Elizabeth 1, in 1587.

As the executioner held up her severed head, all witnesses were silent. Then 'one of Mary's favourite pets, a Skye Terrier, emerged from under her skirts where he'd ]been hiding 'and howled piteously, and would not leave the body of his mistress', Her ladies gathered him up & rushed him away to wash the blood off. He fretted so much he wouldn't eat & died soon after.

The little Skye Terrier was the only voice raised in great sorrow at the execution of the Queen of Scots.

He made his breed part of history.

Oh that's sad :(

I'm not at all surprised by some of the breeds on that list: Norwich, Skye, Glen of Imaal Terriers. Norwich Terriers have very small litters and struggle against their more popular relation the Norfolk Terrier (which have drop ears). Not sure why because I find the prick ears of the Norwich far cuter!!

Skye Terriers I've always dreamed of owning ever since first reading about them in my favourite book of all time, Black Beauty. Again, they're not so popular but I think they're gorgeous little dogs.

Glen of Imaal Terriers I'd never even heard of until reading through the breeds list on DOL. I think there are only 2 in Australia and I can't imagine there being many more in the UK.. :(

I'm not at all surprised by some of the breeds on that list: Norwich, Skye, Gle

Skye Terriers I've always dreamed of owning ever since first reading about them in my favourite book of all time, Black Beauty. Again, they're not so popular but I think they're gorgeous little dogs.

Glen of Imaal Terriers I'd never even heard of until reading through the breeds list on DOL. I think there are only 2 in Australia and I can't imagine there being many more in the UK.. :(

Skyes are a LOT of terrier. They have teeth that would do justice to a German Shepherd and they may not start a fight but they'll finish it, ice it and put the little sprinkles on it. The size of the opposition won't slow them down at all.

Probably not ideal as an urban dweller for a lot of owners.

:( yes there's breeds on there that you'd think would be safe, the corgis were a surprise.

Does collection of frozen semen help keep breeds alive? Can they harvest eggs? <---- very sorry, I think the answer is going to be no :o but I had to ask.

Corgis aren't at risk. Plenty of Pembrokes being bred around the world and Cardigans seem to be gaining popularity steadily. This information came about a while ago and Corgi breeders explained that it is not the case when you consider numbers in other countries.

:( yes there's breeds on there that you'd think would be safe, the corgis were a surprise.

Does collection of frozen semen help keep breeds alive? Can they harvest eggs? <---- very sorry, I think the answer is going to be no :o but I had to ask.

Yes frozen semen is good, especially as techniques develop in collection and storage methods.

I plan on having my boy collected to use in future generations and to ship overseas if requested

How small is too SmallHere is a link as to why that list should be even longer. I think we need to drastically change the way we breed dogs as closed stud books go against everything conservation biology and population genetics has to say about effective founding populations and population size. Just breeding more dogs doesn't help if the number of founders of the breed is extremely small.

The rule was 50/500, but thats recently been reviewed to 500/5000 This means to have a viable population you need 500 unrelated founders and a population that doesn't sink below 5000. It also means that each member has to breed randomly and equally. something that doesn't happen in dog breeding within KC's.

Here is a analysis done on the Afghan hound breed. Its not a peachy outlook for a breed less than 100 years old (and I mean as a KC breed not as a Landrace population). Its effective founding population size is 8 just 4 about tollers and way below the old 50 and the new 500 rule. Afghan Hound population analysis

Edited by OutOfSightHound