Is My Pup Traumatized? What Should I Do?

rylst

I just jumped out of bed awhile ago to screams from my 3 month old puppy, seriously loud screams which I've never heard from him or any other dog before.

I live in an apartment and my puppy sleeps indoors, with access to the balcony (which we assessed to be safe for him) overnight where his pet loo is for when he needs to go. Apparently, a bunch of teenagers were walking along the street at this hour thinking it would be fun to flash their laser pointer into the apartments and it probably got my pup's attention. I saw the beam flashing around as I ran out to investigate what was happening.

I found my puppy outside, with his front-right paw stuck under one of the small gaps beneath the balcony panels, he was squealing in fear/pain, and he had a massive diarrhoea from the situation. I freed his paw immediately and inspected him, thankfully he is fine. I suspect that those idiots were luring him to "catch" the laser dot through the small gap. It was when I turned the lights on and looked outside that I found two of the kids hastily walking off while one kept calling out to my pup, she (still having some form of a conscience) sounded worried that something happened to him.

After spending some time cleaning him up after the diarrhoea, he seemed alright, playing with his toys and all for awhile as though nothing happened and now he is fast asleep. My partner and I decided to make the balcony off limits for now, for fear that those troublemakers were to come back, and we will return to pottying him at fixed intervals. I will probably also get a privacy fence set up soon...

Apologies for the long post... Should I be concerned with my puppy being traumatised from this episode? What should I do if so? Thus far, we have done our best in providing him with largely positive experiences and avoided stressful or traumatising situations that may affect him during such an impressionable stage of his puppyhood. It is frustrating to think that these kids could've ruined it all :mad. Are there any recommended course of action that I should take against those idiots?

Guest donatella

I am not sure you have traumatised him just yet. When mine was 6 months old she was dropped by my 13 year old cousin at my mums house, breaking both her front legs and I still remember the most horrible screams of pain and incontinence involved. Fast forward 2.5 years and she still loves kids and going to my mums house so I don't think she remembers and it hasn't has any psychological effect on her, she's the sweetest little dog ever!

I live in a unit also and there is no way I would allow mine on the balcony unsupervised so I think moving forward that's a good plan. But I live inner city and way too much stimuli here for mine.

I'm sure your guy will be fine :)

Edited by donatella

Poor puppy. I feel that if your puppy was playing and acting normal, everything will be OK. Teenagers can be a pain. Some of them act before they get their brains in gear and most likely didn't want to cause the puppy any harm or distress.

As for your intention to install a privacy screen, body corporate rules will dictate if this in fact is allowed, whether you are renting or are the owner of the apartment. Best check with them first.

If he got his foot stuck he could have done it anytime, worse if you had been out, so now you know, block the gap with privacy fencing.

As long as the balcony is high enough for kids not to climb onto i wouldnt worry, just relax, dont make a big deal of it.

Our boy almost hung himself on a Window latch when he was about 8 weeks old, thank dog for our amazing neighbours who saved him and we became friends and they fell in love with him even though she had been scared of bully breeds.

We were worried he'd he traumatised by the experience, but he's two now and absolutely fine with collars and windows.

Pups seem to forget the bad and remember the good.

Thanks all for the responses, really appreciate it. My mind is more at ease now with your comments, also, puppy seems ok and back to his normal self. Will continue to monitor him and definitely only letting him out at night with supervision. Will also seek body corp opinion on the privacy fence, otherwise I'd probably just lay some transparent film to block the gaps off.

Edited by rylst

make SURE the gaps are no more ..and the fence is VERY high - pups can scramble/climb :( take him back out there with you - give him a bone or some treats - do not fuss ....

Thanks, we certainly will before we let him out unsupervised, if ever again. He still loves going out to do some people watching so I think he should be alright now, fingers crossed!

If puppy seems OK then leave it at that. I'd be more worried they'll shine the laser into his eyes.

I'd never allow a dog on a balcony. Heard too many stories of dog jumping over or getting through the bars. Plus there's stupid people like these kids.

I agree with K and S. Pup sounds fine.

Unfortunately, we can never fully protect ourselves or our loved ones from stupid.

Maybe look at the flip side that your puppy was already in trouble & these kids saw it & thought flashing there light would alert someone .

What ever the scenario was your are lucky it happened whilst you where home

Maybe look at the flip side that your puppy was already in trouble & these kids saw it & thought flashing there light would alert someone .

What ever the scenario was your are lucky it happened whilst you where home

Although unlikely based on the conversation I overheard downstairs, I think this is an interesting perspective. Regardless, we were also at fault in being too complacent and have certainly learned our lesson!