Help Me Identify These Plants

raineth

Hello, I'd really appreciate some help identifying plants in my garden. I asked Mum when we first moved in. She is great with identifying plants, but perhaps wouldn't know as much about whether they are poisonous or irritating to dogs.

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

Now, this isn't wandering jew is it? It looks a bit different to the photos of wandering jew I've googled, but I want to make sure.

DSC00457.jpg

This one is a bad photo, I know, sorry.

DSC00461.jpg

The other main plants in the yard are camellias, are they ok? She doesn't eat them at all. I am just mainly trying to rule out any potential skin irritants.

Violets arnt poisonous as you can eat them. I think the bottom one could be a May bush. The only ones I would be getting rid of if you were worried are the strappy leaved ones & the Lilly...not sure about the ferns

fishbone fern, sparaxis?, japanese bamboo?violets, and yes, possibly may bush .We have all of the above, and have never seen any reaction from the dogs .Bear in mind that ANYTHING can cause a reaction - soaps/carpet cleaner/fabric softener..... :)

The first one is fishbone fern, don't know if that's it's real name but that's what I've always heard it called. I don't know if it causes skin irritation but I do know it's tick heaven.

Thank you HazyWal! Yeah luckily where we live it is too dry for ticks. But it's really good to know its name as I've been able to google and it doesn't appear to be identified as a problem plant for dogs. It really is the only one out of all the photos I posted that she enjoys standing in.

The 4th photo are violets. I have them in my garden, very pretty. Don't know if they are poisonous or not, we've had no troubles with them.

Awesome, that is really good to know, thank you!

Violets arnt poisonous as you can eat them. I think the bottom one could be a May bush. The only ones I would be getting rid of if you were worried are the strappy leaved ones & the Lilly...not sure about the ferns

Yes, that's it, it's May Bush! and nothing seems to come up about it being a problem which is reassuring. I think I'll get rid of those ones you suggest.

fishbone fern, sparaxis?, japanese bamboo?violets, and yes, possibly may bush .We have all of the above, and have never seen any reaction from the dogs .Bear in mind that ANYTHING can cause a reaction - soaps/carpet cleaner/fabric softener..... :)

Hmm yes, I think it might be a kind of bamboo, I hadn't thought of that but I can see its resemblance now.

Yes, I know that's the tricky bit: she could have a problem with it even though it's not a known irritant. I'll see if I can rule some of them out experimentally by blocking off bits of the yard.

Edited by raineth

The first one are ferns, alright for dogs (and cats and rabbits) but I find fleas love it in summer.

the 2nd one looks like the wide sedge-like grass we have growing in our backyard - it sprouted up from the uneaten seeds in my rabbits' food and both dog and rabbits nibble on it fine.

It could also be a bulb plant as well though, pull a bit out and check?

The first one are ferns, alright for dogs (and cats and rabbits) but I find fleas love it in summer.

the 2nd one looks like the wide sedge-like grass we have growing in our backyard - it sprouted up from the uneaten seeds in my rabbits' food and both dog and rabbits nibble on it fine.

It could also be a bulb plant as well though, pull a bit out and check?

Yep, I just ripped the entire lot out (about four metres worth!) and it's a bulb. I think actually it was one that Mum told me to get rid of, but I haven't recognised it as it's grown back. Anyway, now I have a lovely empty garden bed ready for re-planting with something nice (and hopefully non-irritating!) :D

the top one - the ferny things - I know as boston fern

the big leaf at the back looks like an arum lily. mine are flowering at the moment and they're very toxic if dog eats them. But my dog doesn't.

The next one is also a flowering tuber with usually red flowers, tendency to weediness, related to iris. Might be Crocosmia aurea

the one with the little leafs - some of the stuff at the bottom looks like star jasmine. I know a human who is very allergic to that. Not sure about dogs. There's another arrum lily in that, and something else over the top (the sacred bamboo?).

the one with the purple flowers is an ordinary english violet - we can eat the flowers. Not sure about dogs with that but I'd rate as harmless.

Dont know what the last one is (sacred bamboo?) - I guess the flowering plant behind is the camelias.