A Reminder Re. Microchips

denali

This is something that I will be offering at all the events that I am at/sponsoring!!

CHECK THEIR CHIP

I will be checking for microchips then bringing up the details on the registry so people know the chip is working, hasn't migrated out of the dog AND the details are correct!

I will also have the NSW form to update information and will be investigating what to offer when I travel interstate to try and make updating dogs details as pain free as possible. I have been remiss in updating phone number changes and know that having everything right there in front of you to update will result in the best compliance :thumbsup:

The current system with SEVEN different registries across the countries is a complete joke. Even the pet address website sometimes fails.

I am not looking forward to my interstate trips trying to work out what registries dogs are on etc. But its an easy way to make a difference.

Edited by Jumabaar

South Australia is planning to bring in a State Government registry combining all the council registries... so yet another. And all dog owners will be required to update it every year.

Dunno how the president of my former dog club is going to cope. She refuses to own a computer let alone use the internet.

It is very frustrating that there are so many registries - I have 5 animals registered with 4 different registries.

The NSW Companion Animals Register website reads as though every animal on it will stay in NSW. It refers queries to your local NSW council - not very helpful for us non NSW pet owners.

I try to get the microchips checked every vet visit.

This is something that I will be offering at all the events that I am at/sponsoring!!

CHECK THEIR CHIP

I will be checking for microchips then bringing up the details on the registry so people know the chip is working, hasn't migrated out of the dog AND the details are correct!

I will also have the NSW form to update information and will be investigating what to offer when I travel interstate to try and make updating dogs details as pain free as possible. I have been remiss in updating phone number changes and know that having everything right there in front of you to update will result in the best compliance :thumbsup:

The current system with SEVEN different registries across the countries is a complete joke. Even the pet address website sometimes fails.

I am not looking forward to my interstate trips trying to work out what registries dogs are on etc. But its an easy way to make a difference.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CHECK THEIR CHIP

Excellent!

I'm beginning to lose faith in them after I have now encountered my second chip that has failed to scan. The first dog I know was chipped because it was inserted in my presence, scanned and recorded for health checks and then could not be located 12 months after.

The second was implanted as per requirements, scanned successfully for a few years and then failed to scan and be found this year at the vet.

We also went through a period where a Council employee was simply throwing transfers and updates in the trash, rather than entering the data.

Thankyou for the reminder. I thought all of my dogs were good and up to date, but i ran them through it, just to check. Turns out, i hadn't done anything with my 18 month old girl, on the system she was still known as red girl and no names on there, just had my breeders number. This wouldn't have been a drama in worst case scenario, as i get on well with her, but still. It was obviously a case of, I'll get to it, but never did, but obviously thought i did.

Its only every few years that I need to change something but I find I have to go through some rigormorall to get access again to update any details for the microchips.

I have my animals dates of births, their microchip numbers, their certificate numbers...everything - and its a bit frustrating. I have filled out some forms and also sent them an email.

Just wondering if its me or is it a more common problem?

I understand and totally respect they need to be careful but oh my gosh, they make it quite difficult.

Thanks so much for that petaddress link. Lovely and easy to use. Just checked my dogs and cats .. and realised I needed to remove my landline number, since I gave it up when I got NBN. Discovered that when the kittens were registered with AAAR, the register changed the second contact for my BC (had been his breeder in WA). They'd done that without checking me, which was a bit weird. Maybe just trying to be helpful and making the second contact for him the same as for the cats (their breeder). Luckily, she is OK with that.