Fast Foster Home Needed For Elderly Chi

westiemum

Hi All,

I hope no-one minds me putting this here but I need fast and wide circulation and know a lot of good people can't bear reading the rescue threads.. I've just had a call from a very good friend who is very dog savy. Someone she knows has two dogs, and she has decided to re-home her elderly Chi, Zac. Please no judgements - yes it makes us very cross too but my friend and I are simply trying to make the best of a bad situation.

He's 12 years old, very good natured, very healthy, good teeth, no problem barking, inside dog, very people oriented and she's had him for over 11 years. frown.gif

But the new 2 year old tenterfield-westie crossbreed (WTF?) is going really berserk at Zac on a regular basis and the owner got hurt tonight trying to separate them. The younger dog is the aggressor from the sound of it - seems to me to be both food and dog aggressive from what was described - but the owner of these two dogs is determined to keep the nutso younger one and mentioned putting Zac down. We've at least stalled that for the moment.

My friend and I have 5 dogs and 2 cats between us so its full house at our places - she has a nervy rescue cav who we aren't sure would cope with a foster and I really don't think Mac would cope with a foster at this late stage in his life.

So, does anyone know anyone in Adelaide who might be able to foster Zac while we find a home for him? Or even better know someone who would like this gorgeous little guy? I know 12 year olds are hard to re-home but he's apparently the loveliest boy and we'd love to buy some time while we try to find him a retirement home if we can. Quite happy to offer the usual 2 week trials etc. Yes I know he could go to a rescue service but I thought we would try here first and avoid burdening overflowing rescue services - but I'll try those later if we have don't have any success here and things get critical.

Here's a photo of Zac - he looks a little timid after the latest skirmish. BTW the man in the photo is not the owner and is very concerned for Zac's welfare but unable to help him.

If anyone has any ideas or can help us help Zac we'd be very grateful.

post-11746-0-78353300-1441629541_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness :( if I lived nearby I'd foster him in a heartbeat, a small, older dog would fit in pretty well with my lot I think. I'm on the Gold Coast though so he'd have to travel to get here, which probably isn't ideal, but if it comes down to it and we can organise it I can certainly foster and am happy to search for a forever home.

Hopefully you can find someone closer though!

I can't personally help foster this poor old darling but I can share your post on FB if you're happy for me to do that?

Yes please Snook - and please pass my mobile number to anyone who responds who sounds like they might be able to help this lovely old man. flower.jpg

Oh my goodness :( if I lived nearby I'd foster him in a heartbeat, a small, older dog would fit in pretty well with my lot I think. I'm on the Gold Coast though so he'd have to travel to get here, which probably isn't ideal, but if it comes down to it and we can organise it I can certainly foster and am happy to search for a forever home.

Hopefully you can find someone closer though!

SG bless you. No probs - we can cover the flight if it comes to that. But you're right - closer would be better. Lets see what falls out over the next few days - but sadly I don't think we have long to mobilise a solution. frown.gif

I can't personally help foster this poor old darling but I can share your post on FB if you're happy for me to do that?

Yes please Snook - and please pass my mobile number to anyone who responds who sounds like they might be able to help this lovely old man. flower.jpg

Done and I've tagged someone we both know who knows the local rescue world. I'll let you know if I get any responses and have your number to pass on if needed.

thanks.gif

Chi Rescue are in VIC and do a great job.

There's also Adelaide All Breed Dog Rescue who are very good.

Alternatively, as an ethical rescuer (any vet work needed such as dentals would be done) I'm also prepared to take him although he'd have to get to Sydney but I do this all the time and know that it isn't that bad. There are far worse things than travelling for a few hours when the situation is dire like this. There's every chance he'll be seriously injured by the other dog or worse.

Please let me know, I am happy to take this little fellow and keep him, I love little Chi type dogs. I can pick up the phone and make the flight booking if the owner is happy to get him to the airport.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

You guys are amazing. We have three great options interstate for him . Thank you. We are going to try a couple of llong-shot local options today and if they fall through we'll talk to the owner about surrendering him to us ( yes I'll do the paperwork ) and get him on a flight.

My iPad is playing up and having difficulty posting and phone isn't ideal either in a new job so will post an update tonight if I can't get back to you today. ????????????

geeze, I'd love to take him for my mother. She's just about to move house to a warmer climate and used to have Chis but she's so old and frail now I'd worry that the dear little dog would outlive her and then have to go through the ordeal of rehoming again. I hope he gets a new loving home where he can live out his days in peace and be a happy little dog.

Thank you Snook and blink blink - very much. The offers of help for this little man are absolutely amazing. Krislin just so you know, I think elderly people are great for re- homing - and I've done this in the past with a Westie where we already had a back-up plan b in place. It was a match made in heaven and they had four wonderful years together. So when the elderly lady died plan b swung into place seamlessly. But in Zacs case, thanks to Snook, we now also have two local options as well as those interstate. Blink blink it's connected to FB through Snook - as I don't 'do FB' (thumbsup1.gif), she kindly spread the word for me that way too.

Next steps. I'm now meeting with Zac's owner tomorrow night to potentially do the surrender. He'll then most likely come to me for a couple of nights to see what he's like and while we decide the best option for him. Thanks everyone again - I'll report back tomorrow night. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

There are far worse things than travelling for a few hours when the situation is dire like this. There's every chance he'll be seriously injured by the other dog or worse.

Both statements = too true. Dogs cope very well with the transport option and, relatively, Zac is not all that old
I'm now meeting with Zac's owner tomorrow night to potentially do the surrender. He'll then most likely come to me for a couple of nights to see what he's like and while we decide the best option for him. Thanks everyone again - I'll report back tomorrow night. smile.gif

Brilliant work everyone. Westiemum, don’t let that owner back down. :mad :mad If those dogs are left together, Zac won’t survive.

Thank you Caz, DD and BL. smile.gif It's a great feeling when things start to fall into place for an oldie - and as DD points out - really not so old for a little!! Puppies will usually find homes, the oldies are harder so this has been tremendous - thanks everyone. As to transport - I completely agree - when well managed a plane flight is nothing for a resilient dog.

And don't worry DD - my friend has 'been working with her' this morning as well. So with us both there tomorrow... well lets just say Zac will be safer tomorrow night!

Edited by westiemum