Breed Recommendations Please

aussielover

My Parents are looking at getting a dog next year. They are pretty active and would be committed to providing a dog with 2 walks/runs a day of about and hour each, so at least 2 hrs in total. They are retired, so the dog would have a lot of company. They will be living near the beach so a dog that enjoys swimming and/or beachy type activities would be great.

They are looking for a medium sized dog (no larger than 18kg) with an easy care coat that dries off fairly quickly and doesn't require professional grooming (so woolly or wire coats are not suitable). They are after a friendly and sociable dog as the dog will accompany them to cafe's etc and will also be spending time with my dog when I visit. They have a small outdoor area- only really suitable for toileting, not play. They aren't interested in dog sports apart from basic obedience, although I may train the dog in agility a bit. It also needs to be fairly adaptable as they may be overseas for a few months each year- the dog will stay with me during that time, or even go over with them.

They have had experience with dogs before- have had a poodle x, aussie shepherd and lab.

At the moment the short list is:

Working/field type cocker spaniel

Welsh Springer

Brittany

Border Collie

Also possibly a working english springer but I think they may be too full on

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I should add they are open to an adult dog from a breeder or reputable rescue.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If not for weight I'd say a flat coat! Mine would looooove living nearer to a beach (or in a tent on a beach) but is just as happy to couch with his people...or any people...

Admittedly not the most agile creature although there is at least one I've seen doing agility! Biddable, happy go lucky and easy motivated but alas a little heavy. :(

Edited by Steph M

Where are they Aussie? Happy for them to meet my lot - I'm heading to NSW next week as well. All those breeds are energetic - depending on lines of course - but they need brain games. I love how my ESS settle in the house but I do daily training. Working ESS coats are soo easy. Working cockers are small and INTENSE. Different to the ESS. Personally I find the girls a little crazier. Gotta rush - will check in later.

I can wholeheartedly recommend a Gruf pound puppy :thumbsup:

He ticks all their boxes.

It took a while and some determined persistence to find the right fit for my crazy life, with a shelter dog, but boy am I glad I persisted.

post-48894-0-38333500-1443092101_thumb.jpeg

On second thought not sure if Beagles are that keen on swimming ?

Would a Toller be suitable or are they a bit too big ?

A smooth Fox Terrier if you like high energy.

Love them to pieces but if I was after a friendly, social able dog with others, they wouldn't be my pick.

Pembroke Corgi fits everything except drying off quickly. Without a force dryer mine would take hours to air dry, even after towel drying. There's also all the shedding to consider. Otherwise they'd be a great fit!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In terms of going overseas, it's only 10 days in quarantine now, the main consideration would be cost as it is a few thousand each way. But most likely would stay with me. My already gets 2hrs of exercise on average plus agility training so that wouldn't be an issue.

Whippet- I am not sure if they would be robust enough? Do they generally chase balls and enjoy swimming and lots of exercise?

They also want a quiet dog that isn't going to bark a lot as they are in a town house type situation so that's why kelpie isn't on the list! Otherwise I agree would be a good fit.

They are after a fairly easily trained dog so unfortunately I think a beagle and most of the terriers would be beyond them as they've only had experience with gundogs and working breeds who live to please you (or get a treat!).

Where are they Aussie? Happy for them to meet my lot - I'm heading to NSW next week as well. All those breeds are energetic - depending on lines of course - but they need brain games. I love how my ESS settle in the house but I do daily training. Working ESS coats are soo easy. Working cockers are small and INTENSE. Different to the ESS. Personally I find the girls a little crazier. Gotta rush - will check in later.

They're in kiama. I keep hearing different opinions of the working spaniels! A few have said that ESS are full on, working dogs only. But I've also heard cockers are more busy and less focussed, so it's hard to know!

In terms of size and "look" they're spot on. It's just the high drive and no off switch that worries me. I'd actually quite like one for agility but they aren't interested in doing any of that so 80% of the time the dog wouldn't get much "work".

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In terms of going overseas, it's only 10 days in quarantine now, the main consideration would be cost as it is a few thousand each way. But most likely would stay with me. My already gets 2hrs of exercise on average plus agility training so that wouldn't be an issue.

Whippet- I am not sure if they would be robust enough? Do they generally chase balls and enjoy swimming and lots of exercise?

They also want a quiet dog that isn't going to bark a lot as they are in a town house type situation so that's why kelpie isn't on the list! Otherwise I agree would be a good fit.

They are after a fairly easily trained dog so unfortunately I think a beagle and most of the terriers would be beyond them as they've only had experience with gundogs and working breeds who live to please you (or get a treat!).

It is only 10 days in quarantine after the quarantine process has started in the country of origin.

--Lhok

They're in kiama. I keep hearing different opinions of the working spaniels! A few have said that ESS are full on, working dogs only. But I've also heard cockers are more busy and less focussed, so it's hard to know!

In terms of size and "look" they're spot on. It's just the high drive and no off switch that worries me. I'd actually quite like one for agility but they aren't interested in doing any of that so 80% of the time the dog wouldn't get much "work".

I'm also quite tempted for one for agility!